Compassion - Thank You And Please

Nama Singh

Vaheguroo jee ka Khalsa, Vaheguroo jee kee Fateh.

I was sitting with a friend of mine. He has begun to help out at Gurdwara programmes. He left his job last year to go to the Tsunami hit areas for a few months to help the aid relief... something which his parents got angry with him about as he is 25, unmarried and was, then, unemployed without a degree too.

But something in him makes me hang my head in shame. Let me give you an example. His saying is that we concentrate too much on others than ourselves. He's one of these people that put others before himself... he doesnt care if his own "niksaan" happens. He just ups n goes when someone asks him for help.

Whenever he drives around in his car (which JUST about gets him to a to b!) he looks out for "apne". Meaning, if he sees someone elderly walking along whos clearly Sikh ie dastaar, or chunni etc... he will stop the car by them and offer to give them a life to wherever they want to go. And he was telling me his story that once he dropped someone off at Dudley from Wolverhampton (quite a bit out of his way!). He thought they were going to the local Gurdwara but they were going to catch a bus down the road as it would have been cheaper from there. So he had offered and fulfilled it... he dropped this old lady in the car. But when she got out, she got out, closed the door, didnt say a thing and went into her house. He was left thinking for a second "ok, there was no thank you" and he probably was a bit annoyed for a second or so. But as he drove back, he began to think ... and when he got near his destination home he was a bit ashamed with himself. He said he thought on that trip "you know, for us to help others, we should consider this as our duty rather than as us doing favours". He was ashamed coz he shouldnt have expected a thank you... for that is what being "lowest of the low" is about isnt it? - Not being worthy of others' praise. We expect all the time "oh i done this for that person n they never even thanked me... they never rewarded me for it... they never sang my praises." We need to eradicate such ego and not expect people to thank US... but for them to thank Guru Jee...

bhul chuk maaf karna