Kirpan...

sat_naam18

Vaheguru Jee ka khalsa, Vaheguru Jee kee Fateh

I know our Guru's used their kirpans when fighting the Moguls to protect their faith...so my questions is....if you are amritdaree, is a kirpan only meant to be used to protect the honor of your religion or can it be used for self defence in general (e.g. someone is trying to attack you or rape you)? The reason why I ask this question is if someone was trying to attack you and you used your kirpan to defend yourself...and they ended up dying...how can this be morally right? Personally, if I was ever in this situation, I don't think I could ever live with myself for doing that to another human being. I'm not questioning our Guru's actions...I am extreamely proud of being a Sikh because of their bravery and commitment...rather, i'm just curious to know what the sangat's views are on this topic....

Vaheguru Jee ka Khalsa, Vaheguru Jee Kee Fateh!

If you must defend yourself, attack only in such a way that your 'opponent' is made aware of your preparation and ability to defend yourself. Khalsa4Ever Jee's got the right idea. If you must, hurt them only enough to prevent them from harming the one you are attempting to protect. With great power comes great responsibility.

Did I just quote Spiderman?

As sikhs we are often concerned about the consequences in media with respect to kirpans. and that concern is valid. However only to an extent. The guilt when we imagine this situation exists in large part because of the racist oppression of the kirpan of the Sikh.

I understand the original poster to be talking about the situation where s/he would be using it as an absolute last resort. The following may be something to ponder.

If a police officer uses his gun, lets say while off duty, killing someone while saving his life, would police officers or their guns fear criticism? Governments provide business licenses to entrepreneurs who open schools and teach self-defence including lethal techniques to people willing to pay for a membership. If someone in defending themselves, punctures a vital organ with their fist will martial arts teachers have to fear criticism?

Why should Sikhs be treated any differently? In fact, the bearer of the Kirpan makes the world a safer, more just, more peaceful place. If someone is faced with a life or death situation they would likely use the means they have to protect themselves and as someone else said, cause the least harm possible for ones own protection.

Guest Lohgarh Singh

wjkk wjkf

maharaj sed 2 wear 2 kirpana

the one we wore on the outside was ur jaang vaaste kirpan, that 1 u were permitted 2 use in certain circumstances hunna?

the second one was 2 b made frm sarabloh and is 2 worn on the inside, that one, u are NEVER 2 draw out, that is a symbol and that kirpan is diefernt 2 ur jaang vaaste kirpan

however gore these days dnt see the diefernce, wat they see is a knife that can b used offensively therefore is an offensive weapon and therefore is ILLEGAL

so if u use it, they WILL think bout bannin it, remember - we just about got away wid wat we have alredy

so i say, its best 2 hav it n not use it, than 2 not hav it at all.

jus use ur salai insted, thas as good as in sm respects or ur keys

the law sez u can use anything that is not DESIGNED 2 cause harm.