Question To Rajs

randip singh

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To answer the question that never really got answered, there is speculation about whether or not Jesus married Mary Magdalene, but we all know that the Vatican would never let anything like that get out, so we'll probably never know. Also, Jesus was Jewish, which means he most likely got married. That's just culture. And why should it be controversial? If everyone just shushed about every little controversial thing, nothing would EVER get discussed...also, if the Virgin Mary did have other children, it wouldn't mess up her status as the VIRGIN Mary, because she was married to Joseph. Just because she had Jesus wouldn't mean she wasn't allowed to have a relationship with her husband. But that's just me. That's what I think. And, the da Vinci code was an amazing book, just because it delved into what people would normally never talk about. But, again, that's just me. But, I don't want anyone mad at me for saying this stuff. I'm just here to learn.

*B*

Guest grandcannon

WJK WJKF

I was born and raised in a very devout, bible centered family, so I think I can answer all these questions:

1. Mary did have other children besides Jesus. In Mark 6:3, it says "'Where did this man get these things?' they asked. 'What's this wisdom that has been given him, that he even does miracles! Isn't this the carpenter? Isn't this Mary's son and the brother of James, Joseph, Judas and Simon? Aren't his sisters here with us?' And they took offense at him." So Mary did have other children, and no, they where not immaculate conceptions.

2. Only Jesus was the 'Son of God.' She is called the Virgin Mary because she was a virgin when she concieved God's child. The whole thing about her supposed to have been a virgin all her life is just a stupid thing that the Catholic's made up.

3.Jesus was single, he was never married, the whole Da Vinci code thing was just made up. He was a Rabbi in that he was a Jewish religous leader, he was not a formal Rabbi or a Rabbi by trade, he was a carpenter (see the verse above).

Grandcannon

davincis code is not FACT

it is fiction who the author claims is based on fact

but the booked has been debunked many times, i use to think ti was true, until i saw some stuff

the books special lienage stuff is all made up

and thas true jesus was a carpenter, and he did become a preacher to the jewish people afterwords

and people thought he was the messaih for the jews that had been prophesized

but this cannot be true due to the older holy books of these religions which have the prophrecies of the messaih, and jesus was not the messaih according to these

thas whole reason y jesus is called christ

tha aint his last name, it means saviour

i think.... aha

bhula chuka maf

WJK WJKF

I was born and raised in a very devout, bible centered family, so I think I can answer all these questions:

1. Mary did have other children besides Jesus. In Mark 6:3, it says "'Where did this man get these things?' they asked. 'What's this wisdom that has been given him, that he even does miracles! Isn't this the carpenter? Isn't this Mary's son and the brother of James, Joseph, Judas and Simon? Aren't his sisters here with us?' And they took offense at him." So Mary did have other children, and no, they where not immaculate conceptions.

149595[/snapback]

Ok so Jesus had other brothers and sisters. Why weren’t they immaculately conceived?

Also, why would God choose to impregnate someone else’s partner. Is this not adultery? Is God not committing a sin which he himself/itself is a commandment.

2. Only Jesus was the 'Son of God.' She is called the Virgin Mary because she was a virgin when she concieved God's child. The whole thing about her supposed to have been a virgin all her life is just a stupid thing that the Catholic's made up.

149595[/snapback]

Ok. I understand now. It’s a thing different parts of the Christian faith believe. So which part of the Christian message is real.

3.Jesus was single, he was never married, the whole Da Vinci code thing was just made up. He was a Rabbi in that he was a Jewish religous leader, he was not a formal Rabbi or a Rabbi by trade, he was a carpenter (see the verse above).

Grandcannon

149595[/snapback]

In order to be called a Rabbi, you have to be married do you not. Were any other religious figures of the time who were single ever referred to as Rabbi?

PS I am not talking about the Da Vinci Code at all, but about a discussion I had with a friend of mine who is a Doctor of Theology and majored in the Semitic texts. He is convinced from all the historical evidence he has seen that Jesus was indeed married.

PPS Thanks for your input grandcannon in the absence of Rajs.

Guest grandcannon

Thank you for your compliments randip singh, I'm glad I can help everybody know a little bit more about christianity, I do know a good bit aobut it, growing up with it and all (not to sound arrogant or anything, sorry if I did). If anyone has any questions about christianity, please, don't be afraid to ask, I'ld love to hlep. But anyway, Jesus's other siblings where not immaculately conceived because they where not messiahs. There was only one messiah, Jesus. God picked Mary because she followed God and was righteous. God impregnated her, not in a sexual sense, but in a physical sense. There are some myths about Gabriel having sex with Mary instead of a true immaculate conception, but they're not true from a christian standpoint. Her conception was a simply miraculous one. From the true christian standpoint, only the Bible is real, and everything else is just myth and guesses, so no part of the christian 'message' that the different churches made up is real, just the bible. God has no demonination. The word 'Rabbi' also means 'teacher,' and this was the way that it was used it relation to Jesus. As to your friend, I do not wish to insult him in anyway, I am sure he is very knowledgeable, but according to the bible, Jesus was never married. He was God himself, not just a messenger of God. I hope I am not saying to much, and I do not wish to insult the intelligence of your friend. And Wicked warrior, to answer you're question, Jesus was Jewish, ethnicly and religously. Jesus did not in anyway renounce Judaism. he claimed tha e was the messiah sent by God and prophesied by the prophets. In Matthew 5: 17-18, Jesus says: "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished." So Jesus simply fufilled the old law and created a new testament with god, he did not destroy Judaism. Many Jewish leaders where upset because this messiah was not a king but a peasant carpenter, and because he claimed to not only be a prophet but God himself. Does that answer your question?

Grandcannon

Thank you for your compliments randip singh, I'm glad I can help everybody know a little bit more about christianity, I do know a good bit aobut it, growing up with it and all (not to sound arrogant or anything, sorry if I did). If anyone has any questions about christianity, please, don't be afraid to ask, I'ld love to hlep. But anyway, Jesus's other siblings where not immaculately conceived because they where not messiahs. There was only one messiah, Jesus. God picked Mary because she followed God and was righteous. God impregnated her, not in a sexual sense, but in a physical sense. There are some myths about Gabriel having sex with Mary instead of a true immaculate conception, but they're not true from a christian standpoint. Her conception was a simply miraculous one. From the true christian standpoint, only the Bible is real, and everything else is just myth and guesses, so no part of the christian 'message' that the different churches made up is real, just the bible. God has no demonination. The word 'Rabbi' also means 'teacher,' and this was the way that it was used it relation to Jesus. As to your friend, I do not wish to insult him in anyway, I am sure he is very knowledgeable, but according to the bible, Jesus was never married. He was God himself, not just a messenger of God. I hope I am not saying to much, and I do not wish to insult the intelligence of your friend. And Wicked warrior, to answer you're question, Jesus was Jewish, ethnicly and religously. Jesus did not in anyway renounce Judaism. he claimed tha e was the messiah sent by God and prophesied by the prophets. In Matthew 5: 17-18, Jesus says: "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished." So Jesus simply fufilled the old law and created a new testament with god, he did not destroy Judaism. Many Jewish leaders where upset because this messiah was not a king but a peasant carpenter, and because he claimed to not only be a prophet but God himself. Does that answer your question?

Grandcannon

149671[/snapback]

Thanks for your answer but it has left me with more questions than answers.

You said God chose Mary because she was “righteous”; however she lived in “Sin” (in the Christian sense) with Joseph. How could she be righteous then?

Would it not have been easier for God to choose a single woman?

Also I have spoken to several people to confirm this, but Rabbi is never used in the “Teacher” sense. It is a very specific term. Was John the Baptists referred to as a Rabbi. Or any other single, religious figure who preached or taught in the Bible?

There are many different varying versions of the Bible are their not. In the Uk we use the King James version, which is very different say from the Greek orthodox version. How do Christians reconcile this?

PS I gather from your writings that you yourself are not a Christian.

I have always understood that Mary and Joseph were engaged to be married, not married. In fact, at first, Joseph didn't believe her and almost called the wedding off. But, somehow or other, an angel visited him and explained everything. So, it wasn't adultery.

Mary and Joseph weren't living in sin, either. Mary would clean Joseph's house when he worked, cook him dinner, then go home to her parents. Engaged couples lived that way for a year before they were married.

Guest grandcannon

I am glad to answer all of your questions. How is it that Mary lived in sin with Joseph? She married him before Jesus was born, because an angel came to Joseph and explained to him the situation. Where is the sin? I guess it might have been 'easier' for god to choose a single woman, but he didn't. Perhaps, god deemed it important to have jesus be part of the jewish social order, which would have been near impossible if his mother was single. I believe you may misunderstand what I am saying about Jesus being a rabbi. He was called rabbi because he was a leader, not just a teacher. But he was not a 'formal' rabbi. John the baptist was not called a rabbi, because he simply prophesied, he did not lead. As to different translations of the bible, it is really not much of an issue. The various versions very rarely have any difference in the text, just slight differences in wording and orginazation. For example, the in the NIV (The New International Version, the most commonly used US translation), 1 Timothy 3:16 reads:

Beyond all question, the mystery of godliness is great:

He appeared in a body,

was vindicated by the Spirit,

was seen by angels,

was preached among the nations,

was believed on in the world,

was taken up in glory.

Where as the RSV (Revised Standard Version) reads:

By common confession, great is the mystery of godliness:

He who was revealed in the flesh,

Was vindicated in the Spirit,

Seen by angels,

Proclaimed among the nations,

Believed on in the world,

Taken up in glory.

So as you can see, the message is the same and the wording is very similar. There are a few hotly debated passages, the most famous being the adulterous woman ("let the one of you who is without sin throw the first stone"). A fairly large number of christians, whom I formerly agreed with, before finding sikhi, Discount this passage, as most of the early and reliable texts do not include it, and it did not appear till much later. But most of the time, pretty much any translation is acceptable. Remember, almost no christians besides the leaders of churches actually know any Greek or Hebrew, so they read out of translations.

You are right, I am no longer a christian. I was one all my life, but a few years a go I started to question my faith. I experimented with virtually every major religion, from Communism to Sant Mat/Shurat Shabat Yoga. After a long time and many major let downs, I finaly found sikhism, and have been filled with joy ever since. I am very new to the faith, and really wish to learn more. If you like, you can look at some of my earlier posts to better understand my situation. I live in an area where there are virtually no sikhs, so this forum is really my only chance to have contact to better understand the faith.