Sikhs And Gaatraa

Balbir Singh

Pray Truth for all and say Satsriakal!

Dear All!

Sikhs, strictly Amritdhaaree Sikhs, wear five Kakaars. One of those is a sword (Kirpaan).

Gurdev gave Sikhs Kirpaan as one of the Kakaars.

Sikhs keep Kirpaan in a sheath with a belt (Gaatraa).

My question is this. Why and how the practice of wearing sheath and Gaatraa started? Is this practice from Guru Ji's time?

Please express your views.

Balbir Singh

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vaheguru Jee Ka Khalsa, Vaheguru Jee Kee Fateh!!

no need to make fun of the question brothers...

i think we use a gatraa for a couple of reasons.... the main being the obvious one, so we can keep the kirpaan in there.. it would be rather difficult to take ur kirpaan out if it was in ur pocket or something... also, it was only practical, especially back in the Guru Jee's time, that Sikhs must alwayz be ready to fight/defend... thats why Gursikhs are encouraged to wear kirpaans on the outside... (although nowadayz thats not feasible at all times, especially outside india)... that way they will be ready at any moment and have easy access to the kirpaan...

i'm sure there are other reasons... these are jus the ones that i know of...

and yes, Satguru Jee tells us to wear a kirpaan with a gatraa.. i think there's some rehatnamas that state that as well..

bhul chuk maaf...

Well we can't have kirpaans floating beside our waist,  LOL.gif

Its pretty much common sense.

151448[/snapback]

gatra came during ferengi times. In puratan times, sikhs used to have shastars intact in kamarkasa, not just kirpan but sikhs also used to carry five shastars(some are hidden, some visible) mentioned in sri dasam guru granth.

no need to make fun of the question brothers...

151456[/snapback]

Awe, we're not poking fun at him, or in a malicious way. We just don't know the answers!

My apologies if I have offended you.

Ishna.

Satsriakal to all and Khãlsã Ji!

You wrote "Well we can't have kirpaans floating beside our waist" And "Its pretty much common sense."

Namastang Ji wrote "gatra came during ferengi times. In puratan times, sikhs used to have shastars intact in kamarkasa, not just kirpan but sikhs also used to carry five shastars(some are hidden, some visible) mentioned in sri dasam guru granth."

A curiosity is raised here. Is it only you or some other Sikhs who have common sense? What about Sikhs of puratan times who wore Kirpan and other shastars intact in kamarkasa.

Balbir Singh

LOL.gif

Relax people, it was a joke.

Gatra did not come during "ferengi times".

If you look at old pictures you'll see people wore gatras for kirpans even before the British.

Guru Gobind Singh jee's gatra is still preserved. You can see a picture in the SGPC Sikh Museum Book.

Sat Sri Akal:

Ferengis...hmmm, maybe I should set my phaser on stun and zap those intergalactic traders...greedy punks...shoulda taken care of them on the space station if I wasn't so busy talking to the Emmisary.

:lol: @

(Yes yes, firengi=foreigners, referencing the time of or right after Maharaja Ranjit Singh).