Sites Using Khalsa Title

Manchester_Sikhi

Whilst still fresh in mind, I've come across this site:

http://www.sportingkhalsa.com/index.php

I don't think Khalsa should be used in any other context then a religious one so I think something should be done to change their name to something other then Khalsa. Granted its a Sikh related site sports club...Anyone for/against?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it depends on your views of the use of the title, Khalsa.

It could be taken to the extreme and used by any Sikh person who wants to form any sort of organisation and may tag Khalsa onto it.

From the looks of it...the club isn't full of Keshdharis...so some may say the name should not be used in that context.

Also, to use such a sacred title, if those adopted the title are not Khalsa Sikhs is wrong.

What if these people drink and eat meat and party under the auspices of the Khalsa title...would you consider that wrong?

The point is, where do we start (or end for that matter) when we are offended by other people using the Khalsa or important sacred Sikh related titles...is it OK for one group to use the Khalsa title...but wrong for another group e.g. I recall there was some comments on here about a Bhangra group using the Khalsa title....

Where do we begin to stop the use of such titles?

The same applies for use of Sikh imagery.....often I see them imprinted on Dhols used in many bhangra music videos on ZeeMusic etc etc... Isnt this wrong? My impression is that it is... So...we must start somewhere....should we ONLY use Khalsa or other sacred Sikhi related titles/names in the Sikhi/Religious context? Or not?

With regards to the aforementioned sports club.

I guess if the club was aligned or run as part of a Gudwara group, then I can see the title been acceptable. But it's not, which is why I raised the issue.

Lets hear some of your views on this topic (and forgive my spelling errors!!)

pray.gif

are they teaching any form of gurmat in the club? yes fait enuf its sport, its active part of a persons life, but at the end, why is it khalsa, what makes this sporting khalsa any different from normal clubs? how have they married football and gurmat togther? (not saying its not possible). How would someone who joined this benefit on the khalsa side of things?

although they do have the sikh national anthem on the site.

Hack the Site?

What's the matter with you? Why don't you just e-mail them and talk to them? Instead of acting with violence and confrontational aggression? They are a Sikh football team probably associated with a Gurdwara. They have Sikhi pages on their site. For goodness sake why can people not THINK before making THREATS?

True...no need for hacking or such....I'm not saying we should do anything against the site...I just wanted to understand from the sangat, how we should approach the issue of the use of Sikhi related titles...

the sports club was mearly an example....

So, I'd rather hear your views on the use of titles rather the hacking....

No offence to the hacker person though...

Why not just look at it this way....What would Guru Gobind Ji say about it? Would he say its OK or would he say we shouldn't use the titles in such a manner?

Like it really matters? IF Guru Gobind Singh ji saw it , he would probaly be proud as these are people who are helping the community, there is a shortage of Indian origin players int he Premiership and other lower leagues, these people are just encouraging Sikh youth to use their time wisely and play sports, its not as if the websites directly offending any one is it?I think the team looks like a bery good idea and I'm thinking of joining :lol:

Think of it this way would you rather have our youth hanging around on the streets or playing football?

I really do not understand why this is an issue with a community of Sikhs starting a football team and placing Khalsa in their name. Look at their website and browse around and see how conscientious, respectful, ethical and principled they are. A healthy contribution to make to the community and by all accounts they play in the local leagues with goray. How can this be wrong?

No offence...but please read what I wrote...I asked for views on matters like the football club..I would like to hear your views on similar matters...and pay particular attention to my question regarding where we start and end with regards to using such titles....I DID say I used the sports thing as an example only....and I did ask for views on the broader issue.

And also...using the football example again.........what would you say if they drank and ate meat under the auspices of the Khalsa title...? What about a Sikh restaurant who used Khalsa in the title but served meat of all sorts (OK..the meat issue is a little unclear)? What about a pub with the title Khalsa (I'm sure I've seen one somewhere called Khalsa Junction)....the list can go on and on and on...

What I'm getting at is how do you stop things like this? And when is would it be valid to stop things like that?

You dont see many religions symbols on guitars/drums etc etc....but you see the khanda on dhols...Do you see my point...

As I said before...forget the football thing...its an example of what I'm trying to say but its by no means centered on the football club.

To koonergs....you say "like it really matters"?

Your points are valid...I agree with them (but I hate football)....would you say the same if they swore/drank alcohol/ate meat..as a team using a title given to use by Guru Gobind Ji? What about a restaurant using the title Khalsa that served meat and alcohol?

Two extreme examples...but which one is right and which one isnt right...and if we value the title Khalsa and the sacred symbols (I'm not referring to actually worshipping these symbols) then surely we must have a blanket rule whereby these things are only used in the religion way and not attached to other things....

Again..these are all my views and I'm only seeking to understand your views as the sangat on this issue...there probably isnt a right or wrong answer..

d_oh.gif