Kids @ The Gurdwara

Akaali

Dear sisters/brothers..

some ot the replys, i HAD to sit with my mom/dad .

was it that if the kid ran off he would get a whack, or shown up infront of everone that made them behave?

i think the back of my mums hand always made me behave myself.... LOL.gif

i dont know any more......i went to a weding and some kid just able to walk was/ kept on sitting in the middle of the couple, okay it was funny the first time, but then it was getting anowing and when some one spoke to the mother she left in a huf. why could she not stop the kid earlier ? :lol: @

and no it was not his.

will we ever learn?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

one good slap & whack with a danda JUST ONCE and a VERY fierce look telling the kid you mean business should be enough to make a kid toe the line if he's/she's been trained well. previous generations never used to spare the rod & their kids turned out fine. i can't stand parents who let their child climb over their heads and let the child rule them instead of them being the ones in control. kids need to be disciplined & taught the right thing from day one.

all jokes aside though i think that it is important for parents to train their kids about the gurdwara sahib and the proper conduct in the gurdwara sahib.

stop the problem before it starts. if the parents are very clear and strict about gurdwara behaviour then the kids won't be tempted to act in a foolish manner during keertan / anand kaaraj / or other programs.

kids get distracted. they want to have fun. but they're also very open and impressionable. if they can't focus it's the parents job to sit them down AT HOME and build their "dhyaan" by including their kids in nitnem, or rehiras, or keertan at home so they can feel naam and gurbani at the gurdwara rather than being distracted.

if the parents train their kids now, they will be really helping them for the future challenges and distractions. if the kids start developing meditation skills and long attention span, they will be more spiritually inclined AND physically and mentally able to do akhand paath seva, rainsabhaee keertans, naam simran, etc. when they grow up.

please forgive my mistakes

vaaheguroojeekaakhaalsaa

vaaaheguroojeekeefatheh !!!!!!!!

one good slap and a whack with a danda ?!?!?!?!

ohmy.gif

you're not married are you bhainjee? planning to have kids soon?

let me know how it works out..

j/ k  :H:  :H:

156249[/snapback]

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH i'm still in uni for goodness sakes tongue.gif . yeah but i'm a strong advocate of the notion "one who spares the rod spoils the child".a kid should be given a few whacks if he/she is ill-disciplined & needs to be brought in line....last week in my psyc labs we were made to analyse a video about bringing up a very ill-disciplined kid...in that clip, they were teaching that the IDEAL way to treat a kid who misbehaves would be "time-out..i.e. u make him/her sit in a corner for 5-10 mins" and telling him nicely he's not supposed to do this. in the end, the kid ended up being worse off & more idiotic than ever coz the only punishment he got was to sit in a corner for 5-10 mins;something most kids forget easily after a while. now if that kid had been given one nice whack with the danda followed by explanations of why he's wrong, not only will he be deterred from misbehaving in future coz of the pain a danda whack deals you,he'll be aware of his mistakes and avoid committing them in future. (/rant) old methods are GOLD methods tongue.gif

Dear sisters/brothers..

Please note I do not condone hitting a child, threats do work

No sweets for a day, week, but u have to enforce it all the way, so when u tell the child don’t or else they know that u mean it….

A slap, does it work?, once when my kid was small @7 ish she spilled a can of coke all over the new carpet and she got a whack for that, but looking at her face I understood that day she didn’t really know why daddy hit her,

Spilled drink over a carpet!.... :@ @ grin.gif

That’s the last time I hit her……….she's 15 now.

From that time I explained to her not to do this or do that.

And if she did spill or break some thing and it was an accident I would not be angry, and I would help to clean or repair it….

In the godwara if she miss behave one look and a threat of no sweets made her behave, but I’m sure she tried the water every now and again….

So please no hitting…..

Peace to all… :wub:

Mind u between u and me I still remember my mums back hand… LOL.gif

its what mums and dads did them days, whack and u behaved... full stop period. LOL.gif

one good slap & whack with a danda JUST ONCE and a VERY fierce look telling the kid you mean business should be enough to make a kid toe the line if he's/she's been trained well. previous generations never used to spare the rod & their kids turned out fine. i can't stand parents who let their child climb over their heads and let the child rule them instead of them being the ones in control. kids need to be disciplined & taught the right thing from day one.

I concur! :wub: As Russell Peters says, "BEAT YOUR KIDS", lol

Well don't beat them like they stole something, but just enough to discipline them, and show them who's in charge, if you show them this figure at a early stage in life, even when they grow up they will still fear you, my dad is 45 and he's still scared of my grandpa LOL.gif because back then all they knew was to hit their kids and apparently it worked.

Today, there's too much non-sense about hitting your kids, but I think a gurdwara settings is different from home.

Gurfateh!!

Khalsa veer ji, somebodys gonna get hurt real bad!!! LOL.gif

Alot of the sangat here seem to be saying that the kids should be disciplined enough to know to shut up and sit down in the Gurdwara, to some extend by a certain age perhaps that is true.

However not every child behaves in the same manner, if any of you have been watching child of our time on the bbc you will see that all children behave differently in certain circumstances and just by shouting at them wont help the problem but perhaps make it worse.

The children should have a reason to want to go to the Gurdwara whether that be to play hide and seek or if intelligent enough at such an early age, to listen to Gurbani.

Later on in life a child will not want to go to a place where s/he did not have a good time as a kid, or where s/he was scolded and forced to sit down.

Bhul Chuk Maaf!

Gurfateh!

I suspect a lot of people who are advocating "beating the kids" do not have kids of their own.

Once you have children of your own and they are your flesh and blood, it all becomes very different.