Help!

Guest confuzd girl

Guest confuzd girl

can anybody plzz help me.. no.gif im not amritdhari but i don't cut ma hair or eat meat n stuff..ive realised that the more u listen to music like hip hop etc, it makes u farther away from sikhi...so thats tha problem with me...i cant stop..like i go to the gurdwara and listen to keertan and simran..then wehn i go home, i'll turn on tha radio or something..i cant help it...or if i go to a rainsbayee and teh next day i go to school..the environment's so different..its so hard...one day i wanna get amrit...and then going back to school..i dun even feel like doing reharaas anymore..like...has anyone ever been in this position..or is it jus me who has problems no.gif what can i do no.gif :wub: @ no.gif

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:wub: Listening to hip-hop music doesn't make you farther away from Sikhi. DOING some of the stuff said IN the hip-hop music.... :cool: @ yeah, that'll do it for ya.

I guess my advice, other than "Sheesh bhenji have some willpower" rolleyes.gif (kidding) is to download as much kirtan and bani onto your hard drive as you possibly can. And then everytime you feel like listening to hip hop, turn on kirtan instead. It'll feel awkward at first, but the more kirtan you listen to, the more at bliss you'll feel.

The only reason your so in tune with hip hop music is because you're so USED to it. It's always there! And you've become accustomed to the radio channels they're played at, the hip-hop beat, and you always know who..uh, sings? them. (is sing the word? maybe rap... blush.gif )

With kirtan, if you start now, slowly you'll feel yourself changing and suddenly, you'll want to know who the kirtanee are, you'll see yourself going to STTM to find the meaning of shabads, and you'll feel yourself knowing EXACTLY where to download all shabads from the latest kirtan darbar....*ahem* www.ontariosikhyouth.ca rolleyes.gif

Hope that helps bhenji. Have faith. You're in love with bani, I can see that. Listen to it everyday, everywhere you go - and it's all you'll ever want to hear. Hip hop what?

:@ Fateh jeeo.

hello!

confuzd girl kaur ji.... what you feel is what is known as "PSDS"

PSDS is Post Samagam Depression Syndrome. It is the state where you truly feel a huge difference when you experience some time in the company of gursikhs and shabad gurbaani keertan, then have to go back to the daily pressures we face everyday.

if you feel rap music makes you farther away from sikhi, then it does, it's as simple as that. I feel the same way, and i don't listne to it or bhangra, because of how it makes ME feel, not cuz some random guy on the internet says it's bad for me. Everyone's different, some people can tolerate it and have gursikhi jeevan, me, i can't.

another thing i suggest is similar to what has been said above. If you don't use Winamp as your music player, i suggest you do. In winamp, there's a feature called "Recent Items". In recent items, it basically shows all the tracks you've played in chronological order (starting with most recent). on the first day you get it, clog it with keertan files... not necessarily to listen to it, but just open the file, then open another, and another and another.

then when you feel like listening to the odd song, sure go ahead, but when it finishes, look through your recent list, and insist on listening to keertan instead.

some people might feel that you shouldn't listen to gurbaani, then a song right after, then gurbaani again, buut slowly, you wanna only listen to gurbani.. and it's HARD as HELL to make a change overnight, so you gotta move into it slowly.

just a lil thing like that recent items list helps alot, cuz if you're bored and lookin for omething to listen to, you can jus look at the recent items list and there'll be a bunch of keertan tracks... and if you have the willpower you'll click one of those instead of a punjabi song or a rap song or whatever.

that's my advice on it! i hope it helps. and don't worry, you're NEVER the only one with a problem!

WJKKWJKF

phenji if like hip hop then get yourself the immortal production cds, they r wicked, the songs got a wicked beat to them but at the same time its all about sikhi

:TH:

WJKKWJKF

Guest unregistered

bhenji i was on the same baot as you! im not amritdhari but ive stopped cutting my hair and eating meat etc!

and i do understand when you say you cant give up your music..trusstt with me it was just as bad!

i used to listen to music every single time when i used to sit on the computer, and to be honest i did have kirtan on my computer but never used to listen to it...

... but one day i did put kirtan on....and after it this song came on which was in the 'play list'.....but i felt as if i wanted to listen to kirtan, and i put the kirtan on again...

and then i did stop listening to music SLOWLY, and things changed...

.... now im into kirtan/simran soooo much that i totally love it!.....and i could remember the 1st kirtan i listened to was anand sahib paath, which i still enjoy listening to just as much i did back then

its amazing how things and your thinking changes with time..... like i could remeber when i used to go the gurdwara before and think to myslef that .." how could they sit there for that long doing kirtan :@ @

but then as you get into it yourself then you get your answer!

......and now im even walking around the house without realising im singing shabads lol...and you watch it will be the same with you once you get into it....

..in fact you'll have the thirst to listen to kirtan!...trust me you get addicted to it, :wub: and when your listening to kirtan, you'll get this inner peace...... well to be honest its not something for me to explain or describe over the net, its something for you to experience it yourself... and realsiing the true bliss....

and just wanted to add something..... that at some point people might say or think that your being too extreme about things......as i did experience that myslef.... but they might not able to understand it beause there not you or me or someone else........and im not saying there wrong to point this out because there only stating what they're seeing and maybe i would've said the same thing back in the time.....

but at the end it comes down to the fact that people would do things according to the way they feel, and its same in my case........whatever i have done is because of the way i felt about things..... i just thought that i'll add this bit because it applies to most people out there aswell

lol sorry if i did go off the topic abit blush.gif

and hope waheguru ji blesses you, and you enjoy kirtan just as much you would enjoy listening to music :TH:

waheguru ji ka khalsa

waheguru ji ki fateh

vaaheguroojeekaakhaalsaa

vaaheguroojeekeefatheh !!!!

bhainjee first i think you should transition yourself away from hip hop music a 40 to 60 day period

Completely avoid listening to Eazy E or Lil Kim or NWA or Dr. Dre or Snoop Dogg or Jay Z or 50 Cent ... that stuff is horrible for your brain

Move towards more "intellectual" R&B and rap like Common, Tribe Called Quest, Lauryn Hill, etc.

And spend more time listening to Taadi Vaars, CD's like "Shaheedi Immortality," and English Katha (gurmatstudies.com)

Slowly your brain will start changing and you'll realize what kind of garbage you were listening to and how Gurbani Keertan and Katha are much better

After a while you will even notice a difference between Gurbani Keertan and even good rap artists, whose music could still be pretty good, awakening, intelligent.

You will see that it can never be as good, awakening, and intelligent as Gurbani.

There is no comparison. Rap music and R&B will start to seem BITTER (kawRRa) to you or FRUITLESS (kachaa). The more you expose yourself to different types of keertan, gurbani katha, english katha, taadi vaars, you will just think that the other music is a waste of your time.

i think if you start listening to beautiful keertan by bibi parmveer kaur ji, bibi rajneesh kaur ji, bibi singh kaur (lorellei) ji, bibi snatam kaur ji, bibi rena kaur ji, bhai manpreet singh ji, sant sujaan singh ji, bhai gopal singh ji, bhai rajinder singh ji (singapore), you will be intoxicated by gurbani

listen to katha by bhai parminder singh ji, bhai pinderpal singh ji, sant gyani kartar singh ji khalsa, gyani thakur singh ji

listen to the speeches of sant baba jarnail singh ji khalsa

keep a walkman or ipod full of keertan near you or keep those tracks on your computer

also if you read more gurbani, it will help - especially when you hear a shabad, come home and find the shabad on sikhitothemax and read it out loud and try to practice the shabad. try to do it for all your favourite shabads over and over. become absorbed in the rass and the true meaning of the gurbani

try to regularly visit sikhitothemax.com, gurugranthdarpan.com, srigranth.org, gurbani.org, sridasam.org, gurmatstudies.com, gurmatveechar.com

please forgive me for my mistakes

stay in chardee kalaa bhainjee

vaaheguroojeekaakhaalsaa

vaaheguroojeekeefathehhhhhh !!!!!!!!

I used to be in the same position as you - many years ago, my computer contained mainly bhangra and hindi music and very little keertan

Then one day I heard some amaaaazing keertan on the net and ever since then I started downloading keertan.. my hard drive capacity became so full that I could not download any more keertan and then gradually one by one I started deleting the other music i used to listen to..

Confused Bhenji - Listen to more and more keertan even when you feel like listening to hip hop music.. listen to keertan with sikhitothemax translations..so that you understand what Guru Jee is saying in the shabads..The more and more keertan you listen to, the more bani will have an impact on you.. You will not want to listen to anything else..Guru Jee will do their kirpa and you will fall in love with listening to keertan.

Stay in Chardi Kala

actually...simmal_tree's got it..that's a great idea and really outlines the transition well... intellectual rap.. that's good stuff... i'm a big eminem fan, (most of his stuff), cuz he says things that are real... and almost seem philosophical sometime..but he's jus vulgar alot too..so it's not the cleanest thing on earth but yeah