Khanda

Sat Sri Akal Sangat,

First of all I apologize that along with this post ill introduce myself and waste some of my sangats time but thats OK u can forgive me lateron.

My name is AkashDeep Singh Sachdev im 18 ,put up in Mumbai since last 7 years.

Getting on to my topic of Discussion:KHNADA

The Reason why I just wanted to post this message on the forum was because it was just getting on my nerve that How many times did I see the Spiritual KHANDA being Misused or Demeaned.

"KHANDA for those who dont know is:

The emblem of the Sikh faith, symbolizing the four pillars of Sikh belief. It consists of four symbolic weapons: In the center, the double edged sword, or khanda, from which the symbol derives its name. The Khanda represents knowledge of divinity and the creative power of God.

Surrounding the khanda is a circular quoit, called a Chakkar (or chakka, meaning wheel, from the same root as chakra), a medieval weapon which symbolizes the unity of God.

On either side, crossed daggers, or kirpans, called Piri and Miri (after the personal weapons of Guru Hargobind), symbolizing spiritual and temporal (earthly) power in balance.

Another important device incorporating this symbol is the Nishan Sahib, or Saffron banner, which adorns Sikh Gurudwaras (temples).

(courtesy **http://altreligion.about.com/**)"

Im nt one of those narrow minded people(always change my nappy) who just want to revolt on nything but what is like minded to them ...but this symbol is being is used evrywhere frm Vulgar Videos to Party Scenes nd being worn by ny one and evryone.I do accept he fct that this symbol being very DYNAMIC and Modern(everything about SIKHISM IS) so there is a great want to FLAUNT IT but at the sametime the spiritual and the religeous meaning which give it a very strong background shudnt be Curbed.

The major reason of concern for me was Vulgar Music Video where a Group of guys were Boozing and one of them was playing DHOL with a MAJOR KHANDA SYMBOL on it and the Focus of the camera was apparently.

I always wear it around my neck and at times take it out of my T-Shirt and respect it ...so one of my friends just asked me is this a new Style Symbol and I explained that its religeous ..he just laughed at me saying that it is just a replica of one of those BATMAN Symbols..that hurt me a lot and i explained the acual mening to him and even he started wearing it becuase he is very simple and dint want to wear it before as he never knew the Significance and dint want to do it just for style.

What I want tell evryone over here is that if u wanna wear it ..plz do that ..if u wanna flaunt it ,(T-shirts,Lockets,Rings,Stickers,Bike and Car Paintings)there is nothing wrong as we all Sikhs Display our Sikhi..but just dont wear it For Fashion and even if you see some one of your friends wearing it who are non-punjus or non-sikhs plz let them know the meaning KHANDA and why It Deserves So Much respect and Honor.

That was all I wanted to say and wanted to get your opinion about the same..by the way on a lighter note Im very interested in FRIENZ (im sure ill find a lot over here) who are doing ny thing special may Out of India or Over Here may be something like Animation or may be Skydiving, Adventure Sports ,Modeling or MAy be If u are CEO of a company of FOriegn Clients and Whites and if u cud just send me your pictures doing something of the sorts or nything infact, that wud be great help because im preparing a preseantation for My Local Gurudwara about Sikhs all across the GLobe and how they have Been accepted and acknowledged My focus is for the Youth in my Country who are Just Going Off the Track From Complete Sikhi.

Or you cud contact me for no reason at all because Im sure Ill learn something even frm the most ignorant person .

I hope you got the message and Motive behind this, so people, help other people in enlightning their Souls.

my email is :akitosforever@yahoo.com

:wub:

Completely agree with you. In fact, I don't think the Khanda is respected enough.

People flaunt it as a symbol to call themselves Sikhs yet the ones who do it the most are the ones who understand the least and practise Sikhi the least (or not at all).

IMO I don't think the Khanda should be placed on anything like car keys, badges, clothing etc. I feel like it's disrespecting the Nishan Sahib and the Sikhi associated with the Khanda.

In fact, I was really irate when they made mini-Sikh flags for the celebration of the tricentennary of the Khalsa Panth. Why? Because what did I see after the event?

Khandas on flags on the floor everywhere, trodden on, disrespected, trashed as though it was no longer important. This is the importance that most 'sikhs' attach to the Khanda. Something to flaunt and be proud to be Sikh but then not to practise or respect the principles.

Yes again backing my own stuff...if you are flaunting it off and want the world to know about it .....there should be enough wisdom within You to carry it respectfully ...that is one of the mark of major principles in SIKHI protection of the Unprotected..Saviour Of the Less Supported.

I think someone should talk to Mr. Jazzy B about this issue, in most of his music videos hes dancing amongst half naked girls wearing what? a massive gold Khanda.

Having a khanda drawn/painted on a dhol is pointless, there is no religion behind the dhol, its cultural!!!

Anyway, we dont even *need* to have the need to wear a Khanda. Our Saroop of Dasam Pita is enough to tell the whole world we are Guru Ji's sons. I noticed mostly monneh wearing the Khanda, because they are mistaken for Hindus/Muslims. I mean, if you want to be proud of Sikhi, show it! Not by gold kara/khanda around neck.. But by folowing Guru ji's Hukam; Keep Kesh.

Guru Ji gave us this bakshish, so that we can be recognised amongst millions. If you wearing a teensie winsy khanda sign around ur neck, no-one would be able to pick you out from the crowd! Kesh is obviously more visible.

On another note, isnt the Khanda only made recently, like 1930s? Or is that TOO recent? :wub:

I think someone should talk to Mr. Jazzy B about this issue, in most of his music videos hes dancing amongst half naked girls wearing what? a massive gold Khanda.

Having a khanda drawn/painted on a dhol is pointless, there is no religion behind the dhol, its cultural!!!

Anyway, we dont even *need* to have the need to wear a Khanda. Our Saroop of Dasam Pita is enough to tell the whole world we are Guru Ji's sons. I noticed mostly monneh wearing the Khanda, because they are mistaken for Hindus/Muslims. I mean, if you want to be proud of Sikhi, show it! Not by gold kara/khanda around neck.. But by folowing Guru ji's Hukam; Keep Kesh.

Guru Ji gave us this bakshish, so that we can be recognised amongst millions. If you wearing a teensie winsy khanda sign around ur neck, no-one would be able to pick you out from the crowd! Kesh is obviously more visible.

On another note, isnt the Khanda only made recently, like 1930s? Or is that TOO recent? :wub:

158271[/snapback]

Yes the design is not a puratan it is from the 20th century.

Not just jazzy b, there are a whole bunch of singers now wearing the khanda, these include Mika (fat brother of daler mendhi).

hmm yeaaah i agree wiv that Jazzy B commment Gupt Paapi...

he performed at my cousins weddin was wierd.... he cum out held his khanda medalion, started off sayin

"vaheguru ji ka khalsa vaheguru ji ke fatey"...

...then started singin a religious song...the thumbi kicked in...then he belts out Naag i was lyk waaaaaaaattt???!!!!! lol

then he started jumping around the stage lyka.... LOL.gif sorry if u r reading this jaswinder bains, i like ur dancing really!!!

LOL lovin tha quote "the fat brother of daler mahendi" hahaha

gud topic, he khanda is every where...i personally think, if u are a tru sikh at heart u do not need symbols 2 remind u of what u are... grin.gif

sorry if i offended anyone.

...i personally think, if u are a tru sikh at heart u do not need symbols 2 remind u of what u are...

yep.. tha's what the kakkars are for :wub:

158356[/snapback]

i dont think i made it clear what i meant...so im not sure if Heera Singh paaji is being sarcastic! lol i wasn't including the panj k's in that category of "fake symbols"...honest paaji hehehe..

but yeah, yeeaaahhh the kakkars are the true symbols 2 wear, as pointed out in another thread ("crew t-shirts" in which i questioned a similar thing) by Kurtas, he said:

"Guru Gobind Singh Ji has told us what we should wear, so wear a Dastaar (with your Kesh neatly tied underneath), Kanga, Kirpan, Kara and Kachera.Dont fall into this trap of wearing customised clothing with Khanda etc on. This is similar to having tatoos of khanda on your person. Its uneccessary and a complete waste of money. If you have money to spare on such clothing then why not just donate this money to a charity of your choice or to United Sikhs. Think about whether Guru Ji would want you wasting money on clothing with Khanda or on helping those less fortunate than us."

i think that's spot on :TH: