Is It Punjabi Or Panjabi?

saugasingh

Is it Punjabi or Panjabi?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Is it Punjabi or Panjabi?

• Punjabi
    • Panjabi
    • Other (specify in comments)

Kurtas gives a find example of Jullundhur and Jalandhar. See what seems more Pnjabi. All ofthese 'u'-s, are probably out of British influence. I'd say Panjabi sounds more like what it should be, sice it's meant to reflect the number 5 - PANJ-ab.

But when you think about it, I'm not sure you even need anything at all, would pnjabi do? lol

KEEPING IN MIND:

it's english.it doesn't change how it's pronounced in punjabi (yes..pUnjabi, by habit)

pun could either be POON or "pun'...like i made a pun, a joke by manipulating words.

recently in my family, twin girls were born and given the letter "bhabba" like bhagat..... we settled on names and weren't sure how to spell it...

bh is jus how we spell it cuz we know how to pronounce it... i was encouraging them to spell it with a "p", because the english "bh" sound isn't the gurbaani akhar, B is... so there'sno need to worry about how it's spelt in english, cuz, basically, it's not punjabi... spell it as close to the sounds as possible, and leave it at that...

pun or pan....what if peo0ple start readnig "pan" as pots and pans, then there's new confusion...

anwyho, just remeber to distinguish that the spelling of punjabi using gurmukhi script is very rarely going to get the same pronounciation when you convert it into english