Gurdwara

Guest PRITAM SINGH KHALSA

Well I love going in the morning before work and try to go after work for Sukhasan.

Although I must admit, I only eat langar on Saturdays (too much langar = too much of a stomach!!!).

It's sad that during the week there are NO sangat in the Gudwara in the mornings (apart from the 4-6 sangat who do Nitnem in the morning) and it's also sad that in the evenings there are hardly any either.

Saturdays the turn out is more...and I prefer mixing and eating langar then.

Although, another admission, I feel a little left out in the morning when I don't really know that much of what bania are being recited and feel a little silly!

Oh well, I have time to learn I guess!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Im going to try and answer all these as a typical Sikh born teenager

I would rather eat langar at the Gurdwara rather than eat at my own house.

I would rather eat at a takeaway and im not a big fan of Gurdwara food unless they serve chips on saturday but they tend to be too oily.

I normally go either real early in the morning for prakash or later at night to participate in the Sukh Asan ceremony.

Hmmmm im lost never heard of Sukh Asan ceremony no.gif

I dont believe in going just on Sunday or Friday as other religions believe.

I try to go every week but sometimes i find it hard to find time and tend to be busy with weddings or other weekend events

Now before people start cursing me i would like to say that i like many other Sikhs am learning new things all the time about Sikhism and might not be a good Sikh now because i was really born into Panjabi tradition not the Sikh religion. :T:

I have to agree with some of the comments about the ladies...there was kaatha a few weeks ago in the evening, with only about 3 guys and 10 women sangat (with kids) and the one of the guys had to tell the ladies to quiet down a little...!!!

It ashame both male and female sangat members do such things.

As regards the kids...I think it's OK if they are kinda running aronud or 'playing'...they r only kids and what better place to be happy and 'innocent' infront of Maharaji.

However, I do agree... it can be distracting when the kids go crazy and the moms/dads don't really control them!

But still...its dead cute and funny seeing a little baby with a small joora, running up to the tabala and hitting it whilst a katha is going on....its kinda cute..!!!

Hmmm, I agree about the kids, but put SOME restraint though. I used to run around an stuff all the time, but my parents gave me a time limit, so at leaset some of the time I sat inside. And kids, if they're just sitting staring, they get ideas, etc, and they ask questions, and that's a good way for them to learn early on what it means to go to gw and why it's important, etc. That's how I learned at least; even now when I go to gw, I'm always sitting next to my dad and asking questions if something comes up in the shabad, etc.

some kids areee reeeeeealy naughty, last week at the gurdwara, evryones quiet lisnin 2 katha of guru Arjan Devs shaheedi, n this lil boy was runnin around screamin, n wudnt sit still- & his mom sat there laffin- mayb she did it outta embarasment i dunno...but then, a guy walkd in2 diwan hall and goes 2 do matha tek,

. . .

the lil boy spotted his target and came runnin at high speed and smaked th guy on his behind an evry1 herd it - n saw it!! :@ @

Poor guy, he was soooo embarrased

& even then his mom sed nuthin!

some kids areee reeeeeealy naughty, last week at the gurdwara, evryones quiet lisnin 2 katha of guru Arjan Devs shaheedi, n this lil boy was runnin around screamin, n wudnt sit still- & his mom sat there laffin- mayb she did it outta embarasment i dunno...but then, a guy walkd in2 diwan hall and goes 2 do matha tek,

. . .

the lil boy spotted his target and came runnin at high speed and smaked th guy on his behind an evry1 herd it - n saw it!! :@ @

Poor guy, he was soooo embarrased

& even then his mom sed nuthin!

hahahahahaha LOL.gif that would be a suprize.

I dont mind children as long as they arent louder than the program after all they are just kids.

When you have kids youll notice that your kids is so cute and almost like youll never be mad at them until they are teenage. I let my baby girl do whatever she wants{ to a point } She crawls up and down and always plays with the MataJi next to her mom and wants to sit in many Bibis laps.

""""well when i read your message,it seemed that you just go to the Gurudwara for langar and for the ppl?!?""""""

I go to be apart of Ardas, listen to Hukamnamas, meditate to Kirtan, eat the blessed prashad, eat the blessed prashade, either learn from adults or teach things to children, learn some Gutka, socialize{to a point} but after the program, do seva, and just to visit the Guru and have Gurus Darshan.

post-5391-1150900537.jpg

LOLOLOL

That is soo cute u know!

But yeah, the moms should do something....but hang on....we live in a equality age...so maybe the dads should go and give the kids a thappar!!!!

lol true there was a ginormous sardaar tha stud up in an attempt to "take him down" lol like grab him so he'd stop runnin he was like th tazmanian devil i tell ya! may be tha was his dad...he grabbed him n goes "TU DHEKI JAI" lol but th kid wriggled free

but man tha guy was ssoooooo embarrased it sounded propa hard as well!

Pritam ji trust me th kid was louder then th programme! i felt like trippin him up :@ but i restrained myself! (jokes)

One time during Ardas a kid walked up to the tabla and slammed the bass drum{ the microphone was still on} and it scared the hell out of the whole Sangat. It made the blood in my body circulate 10 times a second it was funny.

Pritam Singh Khalsa- i have to come and visit California since the Sikh community there seems so vibrant and more mixed whereas down here we only have a small non Panjabi Sikh population- down there you guys seem to have a wide range of people and dont seem to be stuck in meaningless tradition