Youth @ Gurdwara

dsingh

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 - A Giani who is able to speak english (or translator ) who sits beside the Giani and translates what is being said.

2 - Encourage youth participation in events.

3 - Have Sikhi months (one weeeknd a month) where all Sikhs get together and have group activites.

4 - Encourage Sikh parchaar outside of the Gurdwara to people of other faiths!

5 - STOP all corruption in the committees

1 - A Giani who is able to speak english (or translator ) who sits beside the Giani and translates what is being said.

3 - Have Sikhi months (one weeeknd a month) where all Sikhs get together and have group activites.

1. LOL, giani speaking english. Why should they, its our job to learn punjabi.

2. Youth participation - what can they do, it can get complicated when most cut their hair etc.

3. sikhi month sounds good but can u guys b bothered to meet up 2 days running. can u lot do kirtan or play some part in the event?

4. sikh parchar should b done in the gurdwara not elsewhere.

5. Committees r a big problem, they won't step down or let others do seva that they don't like

Guest PRITAM SINGH KHALSA

for your 1] The sikhitothemax projection of Gurbani and the kirtan is really helpful.

At one Gurdwara they have it on the whole time Hukamnama and kirtan, and at another they only have it on from 11-12 or like 12:30-1:30 for just the kirtan.

for your 2] I know a whole bunch of kids want to learn Gaatka but nobody volunteers to teach the kids who knows Gaatka. But some kids are poor sports and dont want to learn the etiquette or the pentra before learning how to spar, and they throw a fit and leave but thats why we teach how you should act first before even being able to see the shastar.

for your 3] they sometimes do this. I go to like 5 Gurdwaras so theres always something going on.

for your 4] most people are scared to go because how people stare. I know Im a Sikh and they stare at me.Im a Khalsa so nothing could scare me but its almost uncomfortable alot but I just think of Guru and just let people speak about me in Punjabi. You can tell when they are talking $#*! because theyll be talkin english and then for some strange reason switch to punjabi, which I see mexicans do this all the time, but my wife is mexican so I know what they are saying. They feel stupid when I repeat in spanish what they said and comment asking why they hide their backbiting with spanish, they switch back to english and say they didnt say nothing bad, and I repeat what they said and then they just sit there quiet and in shock that they got caught.

So I think people at the Gurdwara should make people feel comfortable first before invites.

Not all people do this but there is alot.

for your 5] this is the best answer of all. :TH:

post-5391-1151679031.jpg

Beware of pakhandi babas... :|

My suggestion is, ure on the wrong track jio. Ask the sangat what they want in that area because I believe the sangat should have that choice. I also have seen that what sangat wants differentiates depending on where they live. So just ask around. Get a suggestion box at Gurdwara and local community centre. Ask people straight out. Fill out questionnaires - give incentives like a chocolate bar or free ipods - in which case i'll be there to fill it out in a shot!

Guest PRITAM SINGH KHALSA

""""""""""5. Committees r a big problem, they won't step down or let others do seva that they don't like"""""""""""

Thats why alot of the times I do what ever seva I want. They cant tell me no, but also I wouldnt do anything where anybody would say I shouldnt.

Also they cant make you do something or its not seva, it would be considered chores.

If they ask you to do this and then that without you asking what they want you to do is just ordering people around.

At one Gurdwara the commitee is notorious for this and 70% of the sangat dont like the management. The other 30% must be corrupt with the management and do nothing but complain about things and people.

One thing is to have gurudwara programs more regularly (like daily, not just the weekend).

But more importantly, let kids do stuff, too... in our gurudwara, kids do keertan on the last friday of the month, but I don't think that's enough. And we should be allowed to be on the committee--don't push us out. Kids see things with a more clear mind sometimes, and we can come to decisions faster; don't argue for soo long on topics that don't matter! We don't like just going places to sit, especially if we don't know what's going on. And by letting us do things, we would get more into it, and eventually take an interest. I try to do stuff in my gurudwara, but, first of all we don't have enough things to do, and second of all, the things to do are all jobs for like a single person--doesn't allow too many people to get involved.