Gurmat Sangeet ... Or Is It?

Akaali

i really want to learn i really do but as i said before. i dunno anyone in my city that teaches it the way its suppose to be taught.

i know tabla so i teach kids who wish to learn.......thats all i can do for now.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just as many of us learn about things like Sikh history from reading, researching and seeking people to inform us without having an ustad or teacher in the field, we should make the same type of effort to learn about Gurmat sangeet too. This could indeed include actively seeking a teacher since that would make it a lot easier, but there is a lot of info available online now, like the keys and times dedicated to each raag which any avid seeker could find and learn from, and online tutorials and classes as well. I know many children who begin learning raag while they're still under the age of 5, so this isn't some mystic thing that only certain "chosen" ones can learn. It's something anyone who wishes to do can do.

i agree.......but from my 6 odd years of experience in tabla i can tell you that without an ustaad you will not learn it properly you can try your whole life.

just as we need guruji for sikhi we need a guru for gurmat sangeet tooo.

Guest peacemaker

i agree.......but from my 6 odd years of experience in tabla i can tell you that without an ustaad you will not learn it properly you can try your whole life.

just as we need guruji for sikhi we need a guru for gurmat sangeet tooo.

I got dissed really bad on tabla once when I didn't keep my middle finger up like you're supposed to. The person doing kirtan told me to get up infront of the sangat. LOL.gif