Anokhe Amar Shaheed Baba Deep Singh Ji

Sat1176

Jalandhar, September 15

The Punjabi film industry is all set to take a new leap with the release of “Anokhe Amar Shahid — Baba Deep Singh,” in India and abroad on September 22. It is not only the first cinemascope Punjabi feature film on Sikh history, but also it has the biggest-ever budget of Rs 2.5 crore.

That the canvas of the film is vast is clear from the fact that more than 700 artistes and 250 horses are part of the film. Its songs have been rendered by top Bollywood playback singers, including Jagjit Singh, Daler Mehndi, Udit Narayan, Sonu Nigam, Uttam Singh and Hans Raj Hans. The baton of the inspirational and devotional music of the film is in the hands of ace music director Uttam Singh.

The entire film is a subtle portrayal of the two major battles of Shaheed Baba Deep Singh, who along with his enthusiastic fellow Sikh soldiers, warded off Moghul invader Ahmed Shah Abdali’s attempts to take looted jewellery and about 33000 Hindu, Muslim girls to his country.

Interestingly, no living character has been used in the film to depict Baba Deep Singh, a devout Sikh of Guru Gobind Singh, who avenged Abdali’s invasion by waging a war against him.

“No one but the Sikh Sangat provided the requisite degree of inspiration to us. This inspiration made us handle such a huge project. It is a mission to propagate the supreme and unparallelled sacrifice of Baba Deep Singh Ji amongst the world and at the same time to portray the Sikh identity to the international community. So many Sikhs have been shot as they were mistaken as Afghans in the West. This movie will make it clear that Sikhs are not Afghans, rather they fought Afghans and drove them out of India,” said Guriqbal Singh, the chief of the Amritsar-based Mata Kaulan Ji Bhalai Kendra Trust, which has produced the film.

He said that though they were not expecting any profits at this moment, any profits that trickled in would be used in initiating an ambitious project aimed at starting “Dashmesh Airline”, which would operate direct flights between Amritsar and Takht Sri Hazoor Sahib.

“This is our project for the future and it is all dependent upon the blessings of the Almighty. We are looking forward to a day when Sikhs would be able to go to Hazoor Sahib and return from there after having ‘darshans’ the same day. One should dream big and we are doing so,” said an enthused Mr Guriqbal Singh, who has also rendered a one-minute song in the film.

The film has been directed b Mr Jaswinder Singh Chahal while its songs have been penned by renowned Mumbai-based lyricist Dev Kohli.

Mr Anil Trehan, the distributor of the film, said the film would be released in five to seven cinemas in India, and in about 15 multiplexes in the US, Canada and the UK. “After two -three months, the film would be available on VCDs. We have already got the permission of the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee (SGPC) in respect of screening of the film,” said Mr Guriqbal Singh.

:TH: :TH:

About time.... d_oh.gifd_oh.gifd_oh.gif

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must admit, I'm diappointed :wub: to hear that once again no living character has been used in the film to depict Baba Deep Singh. How can a film be made without the main person. I just think our people are way behind when it comes to media and so narrow minded. It's not as if people are going to start worshiping the actor... (unless they are really stupid). If a proper film was made with real characters I would personally find the movie far more rewarding. Why do we have to alway resort to our imagination to picture what might be going on?

I've watched serials about Krishan and Ram, movies about Jesus. I have found them inspiring and rewarding. I fail to understand why Sikhs always cut out the main person. grin.gif Cartoons are ok, but it's not the same thing.

Imagine a full length movie or serial showing the lives of our Gurus. Wouldn't that be something. But O no, our people couldn't work together and unify for such a project. We would probably start arguing amoungst ourselves about the accuracy of any content. This didn't happen like that, who are you to play the part of the Guru. :wub:

Anyway enough of that... Anyone know where it is being shown in London?

Sat1176: It is being shown in Himalaya Cinema (on Southall Broadway - the really desified cinema lol) and maybe, possibly Cineworld Feltham (but I cant see it on their website).

I am truly looking forward to this...we badly need Sikh Films.....

As far as actors playing people I AGREE 100%... I dont think people should be allowed to play Guru's but I dont really see anything wrong with Saints/Matryrs... Like I said there's some awakenings needing to be done.

I hope that helps. :T: MORE SIKHI FILMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Films are a medium (or media in general) can reach more people than ever before, the only urge is to have proper distribution and if our own people don't go down the broadway and start to BOOTLEG! (let's face it this would kill an already small industry)

btw what is this obsession with VCDs yuck.............. stick it on a DVD please!