Three Young Gursikhs Pass Away In Lake District Tragedy

Golee Maro

Vaheguru, i knew one of the guys...Satvir Singh, and i had seen Hervinder Singh..he was always at Sedgley Gurdwara ... since he was a young lad he was always seen at the Gurdwara...both were bright young lads. Satvir Singh was very chatty, was always smiling and u cld realli see the pyaar he had for Sikhi. All three of these guys became pyaare to Guru ji, so it was der time to go...may we neva forget what a huge inspiration these guys have been...Vaheguru ji ka khalsa Vaheguru ji ki fateh! d_oh.gifd_oh.gifd_oh.gif

This is published in todays Express and Star

newspaper.Express and Star

Tributes to hero schoolboy

Close friends and relatives today paid tribute to the “lively and loving” teenager Harvinder Singh - and revealed how he would have been proud dying to save one of his best friends.For them, the sudden and untimely death of the popular 15-year-old is painfully raw.

It was meant to be a fun-filled weekend in the Lake District, a trip Harvinder and his friends had been looking forward to for weeks.

But the fun soon turned to horror when he, along with his friends Tajinder and Satvir Singh, were tragically killed after enjoying a paddle in a “lethal” lake off Jenkin’s Field in Glenridding.

Their deaths have shocked the close-knit Wolverhampton Sikh community to the core.

And their friends and family are still trying to come to terms with the fact that they never got a chance to say goodbye.

Ranjit Jandu, Harvinder’s best friend, said: “He was the best friend I have ever had. He would do anything for anyone no matter what. He loved his family and friends to bits.

“If ever you were upset or needed to talk he was there for you. He was just the best.”

The 15-year-old, who attended Highfields School in Penn with Harvinder, added: “He was so intelligent and taught me so much.

“He was funny and outgoing and is going to be so missed so much.

“Just to think that we will never see him again.We are all just in shock.

“They were all great friends and they used to practice their martial arts together. They were great lads.

“He died trying to save one of his best friends and he would be proud of that.”

Harvinder’s uncle, Surinder Singh, aged 40, said the family were “devastated”.

“He was like a son to me. I remember holding him in my arms when he was a tiny baby.

“He was always a really happy boy, smiling all the time, and he had a lot of friends. We can’t believe something like this has happened. It is a tragedy.”

School teachers revealed Harvinder was due to start a week-long work experience at Wolverhampton’s Birmingham Midshires branch today.

Acting headteacher Jill Jordan said: “He was a really popular lad who was liked by pupils and staff alike.

“The rest of his year group are out on work experience this week so we will hold a special assembly in his memory when they are back at school.

“We will also be looking at installing a memorial for him at the school which I know is what the children would have wanted.

“Everyone is extremely sad about what has happened and our thoughts are with his family. Nobody should have to go through what they are going through at this moment. It is tragic.”

I am totally humbled by the events over the last couple of days. I had taken my kids to the Sikhi camp at Wendnesfield last week and Hervinder was tying dastaars on the young kids who were there. Everyone I see in and around Wolverhampton is affected by this, from the youngest to the oldest. I was at Nanaksar Thath last night and the three gursikhs were mentioned in the ardas. Also the stage secretary echoed everybodies feelings. They are the brothers/sons of every sikh, and that is evident when you look around Wolverhampton, go to any gurdwara and look at the empty faces just trying to come to terms with this great loss.

We will recover and we will be stronger for this, I hope that we can now rise up and above the silly arguments and petty politics that seems to take us away from our Guru. Look at the example these young heroes set for everybody. I didnt know or even speak to them, I am thinking about them all the time. They have not only affected me but also my family and my kids who were at the camp. Lets all unite and do ardas.

May Waheguru look after the young souls.