Why Is It Difficult?

cute_kaur

Fateh Ji,

I just wanted to ask the Sikh Sangat; Why is it difficult for a panjabi family to except ther children

to take a further interest in sikhi? I'm not talking about taking amrit, just at the moment trying to keep

rehat and going to sikhi programs.

Have others experienced this problem, or is it just me?

Fateh Ji,

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

Its not just you, I know several people in similar situations. There is no easy way to go about it... you have different priorities than they do. Punjabis are notoriously stubborn in keeping their kids away from sikhi, yet have the gaul to call themselves sikh. It is wrong, and the only answer is that sometimes doing the right thing is more important than doing the easy thing.

Hang in there.

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

fateh ji,

its easy saying to hang in ther.. even though i'd never dreamin stepin away.. but at tyms i go along with the family to keep peac.. but i dont no why at tyms.. i feel stoopid for lying to myself more than anything.. its like i have to hide in my room to do nitnem... i mean should i reali be doing that...

the other half of me thinks they gonna marry me off in a few years and il be able to do as much seva as i want then...

i duna y... but i just feel on a downer with things at the moment...

fateh ji

sister i know EXACTLY how you feel...I am in the exact same position as you...but i find to deal with stresses and those awkward situations where you know that you're right and they know that they're wrong; the best thing to do is naam jappo in your head as you carry on in the day - like a meditation...things seem a lot more clearer and you feel a lot more better... goin along with the family to keep peace is what i think about doing sometimes but i find that if i feel deep down that i am 100% certain of being right; then i shouldn't back down and i back up my view with sound explanations... and i sometimes think maybe it rubs off on them and SOMETHING from that conversation has stuck :wub:

hope that helps at all...if you dont get me let me know lol

Gurfateh

Bhainjee there are alot of similar youth in the same situation as you. I can think of multiple reasons why the average punjabi familiy doesnt not want their kids to be involved with sikhi. However it is highly present and does exist throughout the world. How the youth deals with those problems vary but the real way is to continue to remember his name and accept that his will is sweet.

Tera keea meetha lageyh har naam padarath nanak ma(n)gai||

Its something we can all learn from.

Bull chaak maaaph

Gurfateh

Guest s133k_s1kh

FATEH!!

I am really curious and shocked at the same time, y would your own parents try to push u away from SIKHI?? In most of the cases its the kids who try to pull away from the true instituion of sikhi because of peer pressures.

This is something new that i have come across.

Enuff Respect for you guys who still stand by the TRUTH. GURUJI is always with you.

GUR FATEH!!

Fateh Ji,

I just wanted to ask the Sikh Sangat; Why is it difficult for a panjabi family to except ther children

to take a further interest in sikhi? I'm not talking about taking amrit, just at the moment trying to keep

rehat and going to sikhi programs.

Have others experienced this problem, or is it just me?

Fateh Ji,

Sister these are the sorts of parents that i find at the Gurdwara sobbing their eyes out because they've neglected their kids and didn't allow them to study Sikhi. The kids are now taking drugs and promiscious and drink!! - I have no sympathy for them, THEY reap what THEY sow. - You tell your parents if they want you too be a luchi laphanghi and that makes them happy you'll gladly do it.

You do what you need to do, and learn about Sikhi do not let anyone become a barrier between you and Waheguru! :TH:

FATEH!!

I am really curious and shocked at the same time, y would your own parents try to push u away from SIKHI?? In most of the cases its the kids who try to pull away from the true instituion of sikhi because of peer pressures.

This is something new that i have come across.

Enuff Respect for you guys who still stand by the TRUTH. GURUJI is always with you.

GUR FATEH!!

Some parents fear that they'll be shown up. How would it look ? kids follow Sikhi and the father drinks in a pub and mum munches on kebabs etc etc. So they try to deter the kids away! rolleyes.gif

I SAY PEOPLE FOLLOW SIKHI NO MATTER WHAT BARRIERS ARE PRESENT, THE GURU WILL CAST HIS GLANCE UPON YOU AND THAT WILL BE WORTH SO MUCH MORE THAN WHAT YOUR PARENTS CAN DO! pray.gif

Guest **********

parents are sometimes hard to understand for example my dad he drinks does not have a turban and eats meat but when it comes down to nefin that is to do with the sikh culture on T.V he will make us sit down n lisen to it n if us kids dont pay attention he will shout n kik off that we have forgotten god etc etc. the last time ne of us went to the gurudwars was bout 9 months ago as a family but at the same time he wants us to lisen to gurbani on t.v

i ddnt eat meat alot of meat neway n recently i decided that would quit altogether but for sum reason since i have decided this alot of meat has started to being cooked in th house n i feel snide on my mum because she has gone to all that effort into making it and i dnt want to ask her to mke something else JUST FOR ME. she works all day who for me n my family..

when things like this happen in a household its easy to stray away from sikhi i no cos i have gone threw that phase were i tryed exceptionally hard to attach my self to guruji n now i find it hard to..i used to other things related to sikhi but never missed kirtan sohala every night n now i cant get my self to do it