Heaven On Earth - Sikh On Todays Show

Taksali Singh

wjkkwjkp!

This morning Bhai Jagdeesh Singh Ji of Slough was featured on the Heaven On Earth show which airs on BBC ONE. The show is takes a look at faiths and society and includes various topics which are relevant. Today saw a show which briefly spoke about hate crimes towards Sikhs as a result of 9/11 and 7/7. Albeit great to have some coverage of the issue I do believe on Guroo Naanak Dev Jee's Gurpurabh the producers could have felt that the 537th anniversary of Guroo Saahib would be a great talking point - unfortunatly this wasnt the case.

Hopefully someone made a recording which will hopefully be up on websites for the rest of the Sangat to view.

Below is an email sent to me by Bhai Jagdeesh Singh following todays programme.

Dear friends:

Many of you will have no doubt seen today's 1 hour long HEAVEN ON EARTH programme. This is a weekly feature on Sunday mornings on multi-faith, multi-spiritual topics. Today's programme included a special feature on racist attacks on Sikhs.

That, in its 8 minutes was a commendable, penetrating and well-rounded feature, highlighting critical Sikh concerns on the enduring gaps in addressing the post 9-11 attacks on Sikhs. Such items are extremely rare on this predominantly Christian based programme.

Incidentally, the programme, also, saw me make a mention about the use of the kirpan; in the context of the vicious attack I suffered in September 2006. That, has drawn a few responsive comments from Sikhs, and may no doubt draw some comments from external non-Sikh sources aswell. Let's watch the space.

Moving beyond this rare Sikh feature, I have been watching and analysing the content of weekly HEAVEN ON EARTH programmes for a long while now. I have noted its heavy Anglo-Christian slant. Most programmes are either exclusively or 90% Anglo-Christian in content, topic, discussions and contributors. Where are the Budhhists, Sikh, Muslim, Hindu and other contributions? 'They are not interested!', some have said. Personally, my experience tells me this is not correct. Today's programme, for example, whilst acknowledging that there is a multi-faith perspective on climate change, interviewed only Christian representatives -at least five! No space for Sikh, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, contributions?!

This inclusion and non-inclusion is a major media issue for communities like Sikhs. It is very concerning if the public media, like BBC, is so ramshackle in providing healthy, proportionate and inclusive material for public awareness and digestion. This is an enduring issue, affecting all diverse communities - Sikh and non-Sikh. We are, already aware of the daily content of the entrenched racist right-wing media. Media information is the main source of public information in Britain. It has a moral, and in some cases, like the BBC, a legal duty to provide clear, proportionate and inclusive information. This is clearly not happening. What kind of public thinking will emerge in a a country whose mainstream forms of information are ommissive, discriminatory and non-inclusive?

We have today submitted a formal complaint (reproduced below) about today's HEAVEN ON EARTH programme to the BBC Complaints unit. I would encourage others to consider doing likewise.

humbly and chard-i-kala!

bhai jagdeesh singh

sikh commission on race & cohesion, slough

COMPLAINT SUBMITTED:

Today's programme, typically of most of its weekly sunday programmes, was heavily dominated by Anglo-Christian faith content on an array of topics.

Today, the issue of Climate Change was highlighted. We saw over five different Christian speakers on this subject in the programme. Not a single non-Christian speaker, drawn from Hindu, Muslim, Buddhist, Sikh, Jain or other sources. Just a passing mention about the fact many other faith groups attended yesterday's London Climate Change march. There is much that non-Anglo-Christian communities can offer and would like to offer on this publicly prominent subject. We would like to know why today's programme focussed so much on Christian perspectives, on Climate Change and otherwise?

Similarly, viewing the programme content over its many years, we find that the content is dominantly, if not exclusively - to the point of 90% - Christian focussed. This in terms of speakers, topical perspectives, events and projects. There is a glaring absence of inclusion of other faith communities. They appeared to get mentioned only when there is a passing faith celebration like Diwali. That too, is more about the celebration rather than any actual discussion or representation of their ethical spiritual lifestyle.

Is Heaven on Earth supposed to provide a multi-faith, multi-spiritual perspective on topics and issues? If so, then it desperately needs to look at the positive inclusion of other spiritual groups like Sikhs, Budhhists, Hindus, Jains, Muslims, etc. As a public institution providing a public information function, it has a moral and legal duty (i.e. Race Relations Amendment Act 2000) to be inclusive, equal and proportionate in its programme content. This, unfortunately, is not being achieved.

There was a Sikh feature on today's programme, which is a rarity. This was pushed right to the end, by which time most people lose interest and move on. Many Sikhs have complained that they started to watch the programme with eager interest because of this Sikh feature. However, many said they turned off or moved to another channel as they becamed bored by the 'monotony' of the multiple Christian features. Many wondered if the Sikh feature was actually going to take place.

Together, the above facts and points, raise a a serious issue of non-inclusion and discrimination against non-Christian communities.

We welcome your considered response to this important concerns.

jagdeesh singh

SIKH COMMISSION on Race and Cohesion,

Slough

Go to BBC Complaints web-site to submit complaint.

On a totally different note.

Much as it pains me to see a fellow Sikh being attacked, but I can't help thinking we are doing enough to prevent it. :D

Sat there waiting for the interview I thought the Sikh fellow interviewed maybe well built and capable of defending himself. What I saw, was a skinny little man with a pot belly, and a HUGE turban.

I felt like crying..........we are meant to be SAINT SOLDIERS, not Saint Wimps. If we cannot even develop our bodies and learn martial arts then we deserve to be pushed around.

And the response of this fellow "I will use my Kirpan".......well news for you buddy that would not be considered self defence.

My question is why do most Amritdhari's look like skinny wrecks with pot bellies?.......I can think of one in particular who live in Leeds and is a cyber warrior.

On a totally different note.

Much as it pains me to see a fellow Sikh being attacked, but I can't help thinking we are doing enough to prevent it. :D

Sat there waiting for the interview I thought the Sikh fellow interviewed maybe well built and capable of defending himself. What I saw, was a skinny little man with a pot belly, and a HUGE turban.

I felt like crying..........we are meant to be SAINT SOLDIERS, not Saint Wimps. If we cannot even develop our bodies and learn martial arts then we deserve to be pushed around.

And the response of this fellow "I will use my Kirpan".......well news for you buddy that would not be considered self defence.

My question is why do most Amritdhari's look like skinny wrecks with pot bellies?.......I can think of one in particular who live in Leeds and is a cyber warrior.

lol...have u kids got no homework to do...

Guest PRITAM SINGH KHALSA

The western world is 90-95% christian biased. The middle east is 97% muslim biased. The eastern world is 90-95% hindu biased.

The differences are: nothing all three religions are selfish and are not fair to minorities. grin.gif

lol...have u kids got no homework to do...

Ermm Pyara....what are you talking about?

Do you realise how serious the issue of young Sikhs being bullied and picked on is? The humiliation Sikhs face on a daily basis.

We are partly to blame for that, because we don't develop our bodies or our martial skills. All we seem good for is beating up old men in Leamington Spa. What lions we are hey?

I for one have always walked with my head up high. Always maintained my body and always boxed and done martial arts.

Now if you think saying comments like "lol...have u kids got no homework to do..." is adding value to what is going on, then carry on, and bury your had in the sand. Keep getting bullied, humiliated and ridiculed.

Until our Sikhs start acting like Sant Siphahi's rather than talking about it and living in La La Land, we are doomed. We are a disgrace to our ancestors.

For the record I'm a young professional Sikh....and wo betide anyone who make fun of my Sikh heritage let alone attack me.

The western world is 90-95% christian biased. The middle east is 97% muslim biased. The eastern world is 90-95% hindu biased.

The differences are: nothing all three religions are selfish and are not fair to minorities. grin.gif

Come on mate....since when has society been fair to Sikhs. Sikhs have had to fight to create a fair society.

Its easy to point the finger at Christians, Muslims and Hindu's....but what about us? How are we emulating the warrior saint ideals of Sikhism?

Lets sort ourselves out first................create unity....ditch the Sant/Jatha's, develop our minds and bodies....become men and women of steel................then we will see who will be unfair to us!!! :D