Going To Punjab In 1 Week After 20 Years

LifeIsBeautiful

Hi everyone, I have noted everything down...

I am going to hopefully going all over Punjab, I was sort of wondering

should I carry a small knife just in case I get attacked.

I was reading the survey on drugged youth in Punjab, and it just alarmed me.

Also, if there are any SS members in Punjab, just give me a PM, I'll mainly be in Ludhiana.

WJKK WJKF

Does anyone know any good restaurants that are safe to eat as well? Also, should I bring bottled water from Canada to Punjab?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone, I have noted everything down...

I am going to hopefully going all over Punjab, I was sort of wondering

should I carry a small knife just in case I get attacked.

I was reading the survey on drugged youth in Punjab, and it just alarmed me.

Also, if there are any SS members in Punjab, just give me a PM, I'll mainly be in Ludhiana.

WJKK WJKF

Does anyone know any good restaurants that are safe to eat as well? Also, should I bring bottled water from Canada to Punjab?

no man.....!!!!!

mineral water of all brands is available in punjab.

the best restaurent acc to the taste quality is mohan's fast food and restaurent in phagwara.

there may be namy in ludhina but dnt know abt them.

and the other great one is HAVELI but the food is not tasty there, but RANGLA PUNJAB which is the new village theamed restaurent is a very good place and the food is so delicious.

and its a place where any foreign visitor never forget to go.

pehla tusi eh daso bai tusi mere ghar aavoge ya nahi?

I spent more than 3 months in punjab ( from 2006 July to Mid of October).

Here's my review on punjab :D

Weather

1) Since it's gonna be cold, make sure you arrange the heating in the room where u gonna spend your time. If you are going to live with your relatives, do consider a simple heater will almost triple their average bill. During my stay with buring summer, i had the AC on.. so most of time my approx. one month electric bill was about $100 (US), which might seems okay to us but to majority of residents in India is Bad Nightmare.

Eating

2) I spent three months, i didn't ate outside for more than two weeks becauz i want to avoid getting sick during my vacation. So i would recommend you NOT to eat from outside (stalls etc) but if you can locate good joint.. eat all you want as it's cheap there :lol: .. There are pizza joints (Dominos, Pizza hut) in almost every major city of Punjab. They follow the same hygenic rules as of west.

Rental

3) You cannot see punjab unless you have a car with DRIVER. You cannot drive. I didn't touched my car's steering wheel for the whole first month but for the rest of the two months i drove like pro and dodged all kind of cows, trucks, rishaws, cycles and even 3 feet of stalled lol.. If your vacation is SHORT.. DON"T DRIVE no matter how empty the roads are :lol: Don't drive even with driver too early or too late as in december whole punjab will be full of fog. Hire a exp. driver (must not cost more than Rs 150/day). If you don't have car.. rent a car which most likely will be Tata Indica.. Rent MUST be less than Rs900 a day.

People

4) No matter how bad ppl says about Punjab.. Our brothers and sisters are very very very cool ppl. Don't think that they are bad.. they will be in good spirits with strangers even if they do drugs etc.. Also don't mind if some ppl hit you by shoulder by mistake and don't say sorry or stuff like that.. These happens to all and they are small stuff.. Do not think that all hindus in punjab ARE ANTI SIKH.. Living outside and hearing tons of news on subject that how much hindus are against Sikhs.. well it's bit a different.. Chances are that you ain't gonna meet any bad ppl, so majority of them are friendly and don't judge them just by we have news online etc..

Don't interact anything regarding sikh issues (khalistan) with Sikhs.. Some sikhs in india are not cool and they will take advantage of you in many ways.. Keep personal stuff with yourself and don't try to open up yourself with some stranger.. no matter how chardi kala he looks :lol:

Shopping/Hotels/Fast Food/Rickshaw/Train/Air

Well its the fact that with our 1 dollar or pound we can have 45Rs or 82Rs but make sure you don't overdo with the expense. Don't give more than whats needed to drivers, rickshaw puller or waiter.. The reason is that if we give like Rs50 a tip to waiter which is okay in US or Canda or UK but in india its 10 time more than what normal indian in india gives out. So do care that you don't disturb their social cycle and give bad habits to waiters, pullers, servants, drivers.. This will help to locals :umm: Don't think it's kanjoos stuff or something but we have to care for the ppl who lives there :D (coming from the person who used to give a loooooot but later realized its very wrong)

Carefull that normal Restuarant bill shouldn't go more than Rs 500.. (thats the normal for 3 or 4 ppls).. this is to make sure that you are not being ripped off by the shop owner..

If you are in shop.. don't pay the price listed on the things.. Like say.. if sticker on one book says Rs 350.. STILL make sure you ask the price from the shop keeper.. If he says Rs 340 or something.. say Nah.. Bahut Mehangey ay (Too expensive).. It will help you as the price on stickers are listed high from market value.. in this particular the book will be about Rs20 to 30Rs less than listed price.. This applies to all shopping, whether its the kirpan or cloth or anything ! Again this will help you in financial way and plus helps the local to keep tab on prices by shop keepers :cool:

If you know the cities where you going to visit, i can give you full details regarding nice place to eat/live/visit :lol:

srry fro long reply

Chardi kala

Vicky

Do you think it is wise to buy Sikh Shadhat magaiznes or Bhindranwale sainta posters in Punjab?

Look how our 'internet-sher' are wet-cat (bhigi-billi) in real life...they are even scared of naming Bhindrawala or buying his poster or stuff from punjab....and ppl like them talk about Khalistan...behing sitting their PC's..... LOL.gifLOL.gifLOL.gif

Enjoy ur trip bro...LifeisBeautiful...and life is realy beautiful here in india ....come and see India....but come with open-mind..come with sharda come with love towards PEOPLE..come come...India is waitin for you...and think this vicky singh thingy talks sense here.....lol

Love

Sangeet

Guest s133k_s1kh

Do you think it is wise to buy Sikh Shadhat magaiznes or Bhindranwale sainta posters in Punjab?

Look how our 'internet-sher' are wet-cat (bhigi-billi) in real life...they are even scared of naming Bhindrawala or buying his poster or stuff from punjab....and ppl like them talk about Khalistan...behing sitting their PC's..... LOL.gifLOL.gifLOL.gif

Enjoy ur trip bro...LifeisBeautiful...and life is realy beautiful here in india ....come and see India....but come with open-mind..come with sharda come with love towards PEOPLE..come come...India is waitin for you...and think this vicky singh thingy talks sense here.....lol

Love

Sangeet

Fateh !!

Where did he say he wants Khalistan ?? he just had a simple query and that should have been answered. No one asked your opinion about what he is, bai ji binna soche samje ni boli da hunda. hope you understand what i mean.

LifeIsBeautiful,

If there posters are available then they must be for sale and i guess you can get them. I would say take more then Rs 20,000.

Do compare the price from different stores before you buy something. As S1NGH said, don't forget to bargain and never say you have come from this country. Once you say that, the price starts to soar.

Wear simple clothes and converse in Punjabi. Try to be as Desi as you can :TH: .

Have nice trip mate

Rabb Rakha

Depends on your need but I think that Rs 20,000 is far good enough to enjoy the 30 day vacation. If you ran out of money, use Credit card (Visa) for shop purchases :D

Regarding sant jees material, i would not encourage you to buy the poster/shirt to wear and show it in Punjab as it may cause you a bit trouble. Actually it's very common to see Sant Jees picture on local taxis and Jathay kar sewa jeeps. Anyway, i would not encourage you to buy shirts, audio etc.. (Magazines will be fine) but again its your choice.

Love

Sangeet

So you think LifeisB is being fearful rather than employing discretion. You are entitled to your view. I'm curious if you are one who puts his money where his machismo mouth is. Please provide your full name and home address.

Surely you will tell us exactly who you are, lest we beleive that you are 'internet-sher' or wet-cat (bhigi-billi) in real life. :TH:

Just asking, because I have a couple at home that I have bought and I was wondering if it was okay, i dont want to goto jail for some stupid reason.

And lastly if you can't say anything nice at all, dont say anything at all

paaji menu ta samajh ni lagdi bai tusi eni tension kyo layi ja rahe ho?

tusi bas aa jao

mera bada experience hai foriegners nu suggestions den da te una nu shopping etc bare dasan da.

kyoki sade sare hi relatives NRI han mere dad te mere dono chacha ji NRI han te main hi sab nu sab jagaj te le ke jana aa.

per S1NGH JI dian sab gallan 101% correct te useful han.