What Does The Chand On The Dumalla Mean?

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh

as in the subject title my question is, what does the chand mean when worn on one's dumalla, not the tora but the actual chand symbol? I've have heard many different explanations but all seem too vague. has it some references to hindu gods, is it a simplified khanda, or does it symbolise something in the nihang way of life and way of thinking?

bhul chuk maaf

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive heard a lot of stories myself. One is that the chand is actually one of Shiv ji's, god of destruction, sign. The nihangs defied death by wearing her on their dumalle.

Another story is that the Sikhs after Baba Banda Singh Bahadur's time and b4 Maharaja Ranjit Singh ran out of loha to make the kirpans on the khanda, so they began welding them together.

But I too am still disconfungulated.

i've heard similar. thing is i dont see why people wear it when they dont know what it means. i myself am curious to find out what the exact meaning is behind. it looks the part, but thats not what its about, as sikhs we wear everything for a reason, not jus for show i.e. punj kakaar. there a whole load of naujawan wearing them today, but not many know what it means. please, someone elighten me!

yes he is a hindu devta .....

bhajji is every thing related to hindusim brhamanwad ?????

singhs in puratan samha use to wear it and say it openly its symbol of rudhra .... but 21st century we take it say brhamanwad because of shiva ....

do singhs in oldertimes didnt knew whats brhamanwad .... or we dont know ....

what do u think who is right those chardikalla nitname and rehatwant singhs of 18 - 19 century or we ....

when was sikhi in more chardikalla then or now ????

"anything to do with hindus should have nothing to do with sikhs

we shouldnt wear it , if theres a slightest chance its related to hinduism, or hindu gods. "

thats what alot of people think like these days......... but the fact is that some things mentioned in hindu texts have something to do with all of humanity, after all we are all one type of humans in the eyes of our creators, its only our karams which make us follow the different paths.............lets open up a bit and not be insecure about hindus