Kirpan Maintenance

Guest Glasgow Singh

Guest Glasgow Singh

Vaheguru ji ka khalsa, vaheguru ji ki fateh

sangat ji, my brother has brought me a kirpan from england, its beautiful, but hasnt been well taken care of, any ideas on how to get marks off it, and get it sharpened and stunning again?

Over time the shastar can get pitted, which is like dark indents in the metal, the deeper they are the harder it is to get rid of them. In some cases of poor care, the metal starts to look like its bubbling. The cheapest method to make your shastar look more new and remove light pitting and rust is to use emery paper, you can find it in Wickes, its a black sandpaper which is specially designed for metals. Rip off a small square from the sheet, dip it in water and gently polish the shastar in small circles.

To sharpen it you will need a sharpening stone or a hone, id recommend DMT, which you can get from machinemart.co.uk

Depends on what your defination of "sharp" is. Most sarbloh will lose the "burr" that you get from the edge when you run your finger on it.

k well i my hand sliped and i my finger caught the balde, and i got a deep cut, really hurt aswell. trust me lol, its sharp. i think it depends on the quality of sarbloh, and the content of steel in it.

and oil it before u keep it some where for next 6 months ... that would prevent rusting ....

in sikhs dushera is celebrated as shaster pujjan divas mareyda started by dasme pitta ... if u have stored shasters take then out ... easy way is clean with sand paper oil them and keep them for year ...