Ek Niwas - A Young Singh's Account Of Police Disrespect

Sarbloh

In response to the SS news article titled "Ek Niwas - A Young Singh's Account of Police Disrespect" http://www.sikhsangat.org/ssn/publish/Engl...isrespect.shtml

A very passionate account and I have immense respect for the actions of this young chardi kala Gursikh. I believe protesting is only effective if the right people are leading, which in a way this individuals account highlights a lack of. From my experiences there are some good groups of Singhs out there, who are willing to put their necks on the line, use their real names and can lead effectively. Then there are others who make out they are leading, cause a bit of trouble, hide behind false names and disappear during the crucial periods. The latter in my view are the ones to watch out for and we have seen an increase in these profile builders over the few months or so.

Take some time out, look at this protest! What did we expect from the Police on that day and realistically, could they really deliver this? The primary concern of the Police for the day would have been crowd control, all they would have seen would be 200 fiery Sikh protesters. In such a short intense timeframe, educating a Police officer with the fact that the pavitar Saroop of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji is not a book (which is something 90% of the Sikh community still do not understand) would have been extremely challenging if not almost impossible. Pointing our fingers at the Police is futile in my view and part of what happened on the specific day seems to be ineffective communication between the protesting Singhs and the authorities. Ofcourse exclusive blame for the events of that day has to be placed on Ek Niwas, whose bad atitidue to Sikh feelings was appalling.

I am not challenging the reason why the protest took place, looking back at the situation, now I can see the situation was bad. However, think about this, Ek Niwas were malicious enough to create the loophole of using Senchiya of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji and thus creating a get-out clause from any official agreement. This is something the protesters need to be aware of, you can get a short term resolve from a protest, but there really needs to be more happening in the background which heads towards a longer term resolve. This is where the leadership (and lets not be niave and say there is no leadership) of the newer anti-beabdi groups are not giving people like me the confidence that this is what their intentions are. Sorry.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ek Niwas - A Young Singh's Account of Police Disrespect

Jan 9, 2007 - 4:32:08 PM Email this article

I heard of the incidents at Ek Niwas at 4.30pm. I did an ardaas at the Nishaan Sahib at 5.00pm and took the nishaan sahib with me. Arrived in Wolverhampton at 6.30pm. The So dar Rehraas Sahib ji ardaas had just began on my arrival. The Giani in the ardaas asked Maharaj ji to be released. My mind was pleased and looked forward. I made my way to the front of the crowd with the nishaan sahib. In front was uniformed police in formation, strong and firm between the Khalsa and Guru Ji in Ek Niwas. No one was communicating with the police effectively. I waited 20 minutes until a Singh worthy of holding the Nishaan sahib came and stood next to me, then he took the seva of the nishaan sahib, Khalsa Panth de Nishanee, and I proceeded towards the police. I scanned the crowd before hand to see who the Guru had brought to the battlefield and the same familiar faces cropped up, although many were missing.

On arrival there was a crowd surrounding Inspector Selley of Bilston St Police Station, Wolverhampton 0845113500 ext.78716898, I found many unskilled people annoying the inspector, who kept referring to Guru Granth Sahib ji as “books”! One Singh explained that maharaj was not “books”, but that is our father, our Guru, the inspector then straight after referred to Guru Granth Sahib ji as “books”. The Singh then said how would you like it if I referred to you as PIG, he had no reply. First complaint about Inspector Selley.

Inspector Selley took me aside and spoke to me. He said a meeting had been arranged for 8am on Monday 11th December, in the morning to discuss the issue. It was now 7.35pm; I spoke to the inspector explaining that the sangat will not dissipate until Guru Ji leaves Ek Niwas, and swore by this. Inspector Selley was adamant that the discussions would take place at 8am on Monday morning. This was not an option, it was said to the inspector - you do not understand the seriousness of the situation, I told him you have no right to tell us guru ji cannot leave Ek Niwas (at this time inspector Stravinski was present not in uniform). On explaining that they should remain neutral and should be mediators and communicate with Ek Niwas on our behalf, Inspector Selley asked me to guarantee peace, I said that everyone here is an individual and I have no control over them.

Inspector Selley and Inspector Stravinski were given a copy of the letter signed by Ek Niwas representatives and Bhai Mohinder Singh of Soho Road, Niskham Seva Gurudwara and present officers. This letter signed on 16th July stated that Guru ji cannot be present at Ek Niwas. Both Inspector Selley and Stravinski were given copies of the letter from Akaal Takht sahib which stated Guru Granth Sahib Ji maharaj cannot be present at Ek Niwas. The inspectors then left to make discussion with people in Ek Niwas.15 mins later I was called to meet with the inspectors, they said that one person could go inside and see if guru ji was there. I volunteered, the inspector said that I must remove my 3ft Sri Sahib, I refused. I guaranteed that I would not remove my Sri sahib (from the case) if I was not attacked by anyone else with a sword. The inspector agreed, I removed my shoes and entered Ek niwas. I greeted all with Gur Fateh, I washed my feet and made for Guru’s darbaar.

Present was a Pundit, the lady who took responsibility for Guru ji at Ek Niwas. On enetering Guru Ji’s darbaar, I began chaupee sahib unintentionally. I sat with maharaj and removed baba ji’s ramalle. I saw two sainchiaa of Guru Granth sahib ji, Aad Guru Darbaar. I decided to do samapthi and prepared the sukh asan for guru ji. I read Kirtan Sohila and then supplicated ardaas. In the ardaas I said, obeying your order Guru Hargond Sahib Sache Paatsaah, you have commanded that your pavan saroop cannot remain here at Ek Niwas, please do kirpa, that we may take your saroop and send Panj(five) thyar-parthyar Singhs to do this seva. The lady of Ek Niwas was present in Guru’s Darbar at the time. I then sat on maharaj’s dhabia and recited chaupee sahib ji continuously and guru khalsa de jaikare. I then heard the lady of ek Niwas convey to the indian looking officer that he has promised that Guru ji will be taken from here and five singhs will take place in this seva. The officer entered guru’s darbar with his socks on so I told him to leave and take his socks off. The officer removed his socks , and said you are to leave, I shook my head and gave a signal to imply 5 singhs be brought.

I sat with Guru ji for maybe 30 mins repeating chaupee sahib ji and war cries (jaikare). The officer said then you can take Guru ji and go, the lad of Ek Niwas said “stop wasting my bloody time and take your bloody books and go!” I shook my head and gave the sign of 5, in which the 'asian' police officer then said we cannot allow another 5 people into the Ek niwas. In my mind what was strong was the promise that I had said in the ardaas that 5 singhs shall take maharaj, so again I refused to leave. Then two 'asian' police officers entered Guru’s darbaar, I told them to take their socks off. Guru’s darbaar was so small there was a short distance between the entrance and maharaj, the two officers then pounced on me. I did not move, or struggle but remained in seated position, another 2 officers (white) entered guru’s darbaar. P.C. Heer 4320 took hold of my left arm, then the other 'asian' officer and the 2 white officers attempted to release the chaur sahib from my right hand. At this time I was continuously repeating the dohra at the end of chaupee sahib I didn’t feel like stopping the repetition so continued during the arrest, however the 3 officers on taking my right hand, one stood over mahraj’s manji sahib, one leg was were I was sitting and the other was were the kirpaans were in front of maharaj. One officer also had his hand on maharaj trying to take balance. I broke into speech and said please watch guru ji, they had then taken both my hands behind my back and my face on the floor as they were doing this great disrespect. They then took me out of Guru ji’s darbaar. The lady of Ewk Niwas shouted and swore and cursed me many times and so did a man in a dastaar being kesdhari, I ignored all and continued repeating the dohra of chaupee sahib ji. The officers took me out of Ek niwas at a side entrance in they had to release my cuffs as they were too tight.

I sustained muscle tear injury in my shoulder were PC Heer 4320 had use excessive force, it was as he intentionally yanked my arm back at one point to stop me from repeating the dohra. The officers took me to the police station were I was under arrest the breech of peace? I then spoke to the custody officer who took my details and was very good. After formalities the custody officer received a phone call to let me free. The custody officer then said I was free to go. I then said it was out of order the way you made an attack on a Singh at palki sahib and disrespected Guru ji in doing so, I will go back and tell everyone the truth about what happened. PC Heer then made efforts to keep me in custody , however the custody officer said he was happy for me to go.

The greatest disrespect was committed by the inspectors responsible for making the decision to arrest someone sitting on dhabia of Aad Guru Granth sahib ji, namely inspector Stranvinski and Inspector Selley. The actual disrespect was committed by the four officers of which one stepped over maharaj and another had placed his hands on maharaj, one of the four was PC Heer 4320.

Later I found ut that instead of letting 5 singhs into Ek niwas, the police officers themselves had taken Guru ji with no knowledge of who Guru ji is or how to take maharaj, with their shoes and gloves etc, took Guru ji to the entrance of Ek niwas and one Singh then took guru ji, and a nagar kirtan proceeded to Sedgley Street, Guru Nanak Gurudwara, Wolverhampton.

These are the main points of complaint:

1 - Police did not take action from 10.30am to 9pm to allow singhs to take maharaj from Ek Niwas as a letter signed by Ek niwas and the police had agreed, which stated that maharaj would not be present there.

2 - Inspector Selley, after being educated, still began to refer to Guru Sahib as merely “books”.

3 - Inspector Selley and Inspector Stranvinski made the decision to arrest someone sitting at palki sahib (attack a Singh on palki sahib is an attack on maharaj).

4 - Arresting officer did not say or even attempt to make clear that Singh was going to be arrested, in which he then he could have moved to the side to avoid disrespect.

5 - Arresting officer PC Heer 4320 used excessive force, confirmed at A&E later, whilst arresting a non-resisting Singh. Later found out that PC Heer was pro-Ek niwas in later discussions.

6 - 3 of the arresting officers stood over Guru Sahib kirpans, over Guru Sahib’s manji sahib and Guru Sahib as well as putting there hands on maharaj.

7 - The police took Guru Sahib from guru’s darbaar to the Ek Niwas entrance, with no knowledge of the proper respect required to carry maharaj.

Saadhsangat ji, I apologise for the mistakes that I made that day, maybe I should have taken Guru ji myself. I hope that you can forgive me and Guru sahib teaches me to be strong and a better Singh. I am in pain just thinking of the disrespect the police done. On deeper thought I can stand back and say however Guru ji wanted things to happen, they happened. It showed me that we are all imperfect and do not have true love for our Guru. Until we have true love for our Guru, then we shall not be victorious and these things (disrespect) will continue to happen.

However I feel this is the real test, Guru Sahib created to play, and all actions by their command. They are now watching to see who has real love for their Guru, who is willing to fight for their honour, are we the Khalsa prepared to defend our Guru. Do you really care? Do you really love our Guru? Are you willing to fight to uphold Akaal purakh’s shabad saroop, Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Maharaj?

“Jabe Baan Lagiyo, Tabe Ros Jagiyo!!!”

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh.... paji i understand ur postion ... siimiliar ting happend in wadbhag that same day wen two to three people were thrown out wadbag by officers when they tired to take mahraj afta the amount of beadbi what was going on they had to use force... the offcers showd no kindness to the matter but instead chuked us out ... told us to put our kirpans awai if not we would b arrested.. when mahraj was stopd from being taken from such a place.... we set of jakareh's and recited chaupia shaib and done simran.... the police then brang bk up... brang dogs... brang roit vans... stilll singhss sat dwnn on the pavement not going wiht out our guru ji.... the police waited n waited givin us empty threats they will arrests us ... soo we said AREST US ALL.... WE ARE NOT LEAVING WITH OUT MAHRAJ!.... The police was once again speechless and watchhd.... finally after 6 hours we gave then 20 minz to give us mahraj if not we would use force and if the police got in the way they would also be no going bk.... finally mahraj was given to us and we was doin sukashan wen the panj singhs wer doin ardaas they lady who runs the soo called 'gurudwara ' was sayin mahraj kill these sikhs i dnt want to see anotha sikh alive i wanna burn their kese ' ' i hope they dont make it safely to their destination mahraj' ' hope they all die in hell n rot' mean whilee the panj singhs were doin their adrass peacefully .... we then took mahraj from sucha wikid and cruel place were mahraj was kept....

if sikhs do not show they loyality to our guru then to me its no point bein a sikh...

we came their peacefully we arranged an appointment also to sort the matter out with as mch peace as possible but ppl lyk them are

twisted minded ppl.... the lady who runs this dera is also connnected with ek nwas .... she says her name is kamaljit but relli her second name is santhoshi n her 1st name is not kamaljeet.... the lady has countless cases on her 4 fraud... she says if u want ur dukh to go ile tie u a lil string n the fee of that is £5000 if u want a gohst taken out of u the fee of that is £12.000.... this ladi has been known to steal £1m from india wen she use to run mandars n charity organisations... we will tke this ladi who needs to taught a lessonn..... shes rann awaiii sumwher but she can run buy she cnt hidee.... singh naal vaar na kaadhi karo...

beadbi is happening all the timee.... we need to stand as a community and unitee n becom 1 with mahraj and keep the sikhi alivee and get justicee...

mahraj alredi sed it Raj Karega Khalsa soo its up to us to forfill his hukham ....

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh

The thing is that we are constantly justifying our actions on that day. However this beadbi issue is not about one day, its about actually changing a community's view about its own religion.

We need to look forward, we cannot keep on justifying our part in beadbi as love for the guru and another's as malice. If we know that these protests will bring the police then we are part of the beadbi done by the police. Either we get more official and responsible or then we accept the actions by the police as a reaction to a potential problem which they needed to contain.

It would be interesting to know whether the author has put in a formal complaint against the inspectors and pc heer.

The inspectors (and the pc's who wore socks) have shown complete disregard for various areas of the so called race and diversity policy of the police. This is a serious breach and shoud not be ignored and laid to rest. If no formal complaints are put in against these officers then tomorrow it is ignorant officers like these who will be running things in the future and displaying their lack of knowledge and respect for race and diversity issues.

As for PC Heer, again he has shown he is not fit to do the job and again action (via a formal complaint) should be initiated against him and maybe go to a station and report him for ABH. His excessive force was not warranted and as such is illegal.

To the author please pursue this matter further. If you need any guidance/help please let us know via these forums.

Admin please stop censoring my posts and for the sake of getting justice for the author at least post this reply.

It takes great courage for what the Singh did.

I'm confused about a point- but please no disrespect intented. Was the attack on the police car justified when Ek Niwas priests left the premises. ie we were hitting the car etc. If either of the two physically attacked us then as a sikh to defend oneself is ok. So like I say, not to offend anyone, the car attack should it have happened? - Why do I feel guilty on that respect.

Guest Dancing Warrior

I cringe every time this topic comes up, Do people not talk to each other any more? Cant things be sorted out in dialog? Why do certain people put them selves in a position that knowingly causes a reaction and then cry injustice? Why don’t people learn you cannot save the Guru from anything it is the Guru who has saved you. When ever our Gurus have been in peril have they ever asked to be saved?

The problem is a deep bedded physiological one, the need to belong, the need to prove etc, You achieve nothing but plastic martyrs. Acting the part of being all humble, and all that other saintly nonsense is it really you? Is this the reflection of who you really are? You know to act and behave like this because it is all you know, but is it being truthful?

I dont think this thread is about the courage of Singhs. Its about think outside of the box. Just because people are fighting against beadbi doesnt make them immune for doing beadbi. We need to realise our part in the situation. What are our expectations from authorities such as the police when we turn up outside a place in large numbers??

I cringe every time this topic comes up, Do people not talk to each other any more? Cant things be sorted out in dialog? Why do certain people put them selves in a position that knowingly causes a reaction and then cry injustice? Why don’t people learn you cannot save the Guru from anything it is the Guru who has saved you. When ever our Gurus have been in peril have they ever asked to be saved?

The problem is a deep bedded physiological one, the need to belong, the need to prove etc, You achieve nothing but plastic martyrs. Acting the part of being all humble, and all that other saintly nonsense is it really you? Is this the reflection of who you really are? You know to act and behave like this because it is all you know, but is it being truthful?

Some serious food for thought here!

Something that springs to mind are the great morchay or agitations of the early 20th Century (Chabian da Morcha-Key’s Affair of 1921, Kirpan da Morcha of 1922, Morcha Guru Ka Bagh of 1922 and the Nabha agitation which lead to the great Jaito Morcha of 1924) and the actual transparency of not just the leadership but each and every Gursikh involved. The peaceful professional conduct of these morchay were so impressive, even Congress wanted a piece of the action and made every devious attempt to attach the Gurdwara Reform Movement with their non-cooperation independence movement. Without this level of transparency and unity the Gurdwara Act of 1925 could not have come about.

It would be foolish to compare the conduct of these recent anti-beadbi campaigns to the morchay of the 1920s, but if we have ever learned anything from our predecessors it should be that without dialogue and diplomacy, enforcing “your” way will prove non beneficial not just in the long run but even in the shorter term and will lead to many similar confrontational incidences like this one.