Tourette Sufferer...wannabe Sikh

Guest My Friend!

Guest My Friend!

He suffers from Tourettes but he's really into Sikhi, the only thing that is stopping him is his condition, he cant help it! I dread to think what will come out in Amrit Sanchar ceromony, hasnt been Gurdwara for 7 years cos he cant stop swearing.

How can I console him? Any Advice? Anything from Gurbani I can give him that will help him cope.

And we need awareness of such issues amoungst Sikhs some people take offensive but that is understandable he sez alot of really horrible things.

He suffers from Tourettes but he's really into Sikhi, the only thing that is stopping him is his condition, he cant help it! I dread to think what will come out in Amrit Sanchar ceromony, hasnt been Gurdwara for 7 years cos he cant stop swearing.

How can I console him? Any Advice? Anything from Gurbani I can give him that will help him cope.

And we need awareness of such issues amoungst Sikhs some people take offensive but that is understandable he sez alot of really horrible things.

Gurufateh!

i'd love to help Veerji/ Bhenji - but i dont know much about that - am sure one of the other Veerji's / Bhenji'n will have something

sorry :TH:

Gurufateh!

From what I am aware Tourette's syndrome can be treated with certain medication (although it does not always completely suppress "tics" or the spontaneous involuntary movements/actions) and Tourette's often improves after the teenage years with some patients finding symptoms almost disappearing as time goes on.

He may well find it difficult in Sangat especially due to possible lack of awareness of Tourette's syndrome; Tourette's will not stop your friend listening to Keertan at home, doing Paath, Simran, Seva etc and it is likely these types of activities will help his condition? There should be no problem with your friend taking Amrit as the Panj Pyare can have the problem explained to them beforehand.

I hope this is of help.

Vaheguruji ka khalsa vaheguruji ki fateh

Thankuji for raising our awareness....

Sukhmani Sahib ...

if bhai sahib can listen or read Sukhmani as often as he can then with Guru Ji's kind grace he will cope better.

Forgivenes for my endless flaws...

Dust of ur sweet charan

d_oh.gif

Vaheguruji ka khalsa vaheguruji ki fateh...

bIj mMqRü srb ko igAwnu ]

beej ma(n)thra sarab ko giaan ||

The Beej Mantra, the Seed Mantra, is spiritual wisdom for everyone.

chu vrnw mih jpY koaU nwmu ]

chahu varanaa mehi japai kooo naam ||

Anyone, from any class, may chant the Naam.

jo jo jpY iqs kI giq hoie ]

jo jo japai this kee gath hoe ||

Whoever chants it, is emancipated.

swDsMig pwvY jnu koie ]

saadhhasa(n)g paavai jan koe ||

And yet, rare are those who attain it, in the Company of the Holy.

kir ikrpw AMqir aur DwrY ]

kar kirapaa a(n)thar our dhhaarai ||

By His Grace, He enshrines it within.

psu pRyq muGd pwQr kau qwrY ]

pas praeth mughadh paathhar ko thaarai ||

Even beasts, ghosts and the stone-hearted are saved.

srb rog kw AauKdu nwmu ]

sarab rog kaa aoukhadh naam ||

The Naam is the panacea, the remedy to cure all ills.

kilAwx rUp mMgl gux gwm ]

kaliaan roop ma(n)gal gun gaam ||

Singing the Glory of God is the embodiment of bliss and emancipation.

kwhU jugiq ikqY n pweIAY Drim ]

kaahoo jugath kithai n paaeeai dhharam ||

It cannot be obtained by any religious rituals.

nwnk iqsu imlY ijsu iliKAw Duir krim ]5]

naanak this milai jis likhiaa dhhur karam ||5||

O Nanak, he alone obtains it, whose karma is so pre-ordained. ||5||

If he is likely to come out with offensive remarks then its best he does not congregate around those who would take offence. After all a sikh doesnt have to go gurdwara to be closer to God, he can do naam simran at home, which often is the best way to meditate in a calm and peaceful atmosphere.