Boycott Lohri!

randip singh

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there are two things of acting against something wrong ....

1 . i will change it....

2 . dont know bout others but i will boycott (lol boycott also have boy in it ..... )

now what will happen by boycotting ?????? how many years can u boycott .... when some one get married have a boychild ... old realtives will come dada nana .... kake di pehli lodhi hai .... what will u say ... i m boycotting lodhi .... they will celebrate lodhi no matter ur there or not ....

old people mostly ladies have a mind set .... its not easy to change in one day ....

wouldnt it be better if u send invitations to all realtives ... this is the first lodhi of our girl child every should come .... ??? may be seeing u other fathers would also start celebrating girls birth in coming years ....

so what would be better ?????

1. It may have been a day to celebrate boys but now most families celebrate the birth of their children, be they boys or girls.

2. don't know about no festival with raddishes/cucumbers/chilli peppers or whatever (sounds like a veggie party to me !) some people so live in the past. Nower days the parents come round with a few suits and mattiai.

3. I have not seen any bullying, cajoling or humiliation, which century do some people live?

I should know, I have two daughters and we never dance around any radishes or anything, the parents come round with a few prezzies for the GIRLS and that is it. My sister also has only daughters and she has never been cajoled or humiliated.

Guest Dancing Warrior
I think this festival contributes to female infanticide, and encourages people to abort females and favour sons. The premise of this festival is to celebrate the birth of sons. Thre is no female equivalent to this festival.

I say that young Sikh's up and down the country in Gurudwara's to boycott Lohri. Put posters up in Gurudwara's, and make speaches....keeep it peaceful and educate people about it.

Boycott Lohri NOW!!!

We are so blind we cannot see the idiocy spewing from within yet we make empty statements about the world outside. Such is the state of our people today. The Gurus freed us from all forms of discrimination yet we have enslaved ourselves with such stupidity it’s a laughable.

Going back to the issue at hand, the festival goes back 1000bc for those of you who don’t understand what that means, its one thousand years before the birth of Christ, possible even back to the first settlers, the first civilisations of the Indus valley. The festival like I said before has much history and legends connected to it.

For those who feel it’s about female infanticide and rubbish culture you are wrong, to spread such garbage you lie. You have failed to produce any significant evidence that supports your hideous statement.

As I have said before it was the make up of the culture that implements the designs of the faith. Language, literature, customs, dress, food are just some of the fundamentals that make root to civilisation and its culture. We have such a rich history an equal to many of the great civilisations of this world and a rich culture, yet the plastics fantastics of today rubbish it. When we lived in advanced civilisation europe lived in caves.

If Lori to you is about female infanticide you really need to look at where you got your information from and if this is practiced in your particular environment its something you need to address, personally I say it is a lie. Kindly don’t tarnish thousands of years of true history and traditions with narrow minded ideology, lies and offensive foolishness.

I think this festival contributes to female infanticide, and encourages people to abort females and favour sons. The premise of this festival is to celebrate the birth of sons. Thre is no female equivalent to this festival.

I say that young Sikh's up and down the country in Gurudwara's to boycott Lohri. Put posters up in Gurudwara's, and make speaches....keeep it peaceful and educate people about it.

Boycott Lohri NOW!!!

We are so blind we cannot see the idiocy spewing from within yet we make empty statements about the world outside. Such is the state of our people today. The Gurus freed us from all forms of discrimination yet we have enslaved ourselves with such stupidity it’s a laughable.

Going back to the issue at hand, the festival goes back 1000bc for those of you who don’t understand what that means, its one thousand years before the birth of Christ, possible even back to the first settlers, the first civilisations of the Indus valley. The festival like I said before has much history and legends connected to it.

For those who feel it’s about female infanticide and rubbish culture you are wrong, to spread such garbage you lie. You have failed to produce any significant evidence that supports your hideous statement.

As I have said before it was the make up of the culture that implements the designs of the faith. Language, literature, customs, dress, food are just some of the fundamentals that make root to civilisation and its culture. We have such a rich history an equal to many of the great civilisations of this world and a rich culture, yet the plastics fantastics of today rubbish it. When we lived in advanced civilisation europe lived in caves.

If Lori to you is about female infanticide you really need to look at where you got your information from and if this is practiced in your particular environment its something you need to address, personally I say it is a lie. Kindly don’t tarnish thousands of years of true history and traditions with narrow minded ideology, lies and offensive foolishness.

Well said. d_oh.gif

You asked for my rationale and I gave it....and now you have ignored it. Great job mate !!

My premise is based on the fact and recent news article (on female infanticide), that Punjabi Culture values the birth of a boy more than a girl. This "festival" is part of that "Punjabi Culture".

What Has Lohri Got To Do With THis?

1) It is specifically celebated by those who have had the birth of a baby boy. Never by those who have had a girl (of late some have celebrated for a girl as a gesture of defiance, this however has been for the main been ridiculed).

2) The festival itself consists of listing a fire and various symbols that represent fertility, the white radish representing the phalic symbol. All to represent the male as being the creator and superior.

3) My Observation - women with only baby girls are bullied, cajoled into going to the event and more often than not humiliated by women who have had baby boys.

As for being a minority, my Western education has taught me how wrong such festivals are. Just as burning witches at the stake was banned by western civilisation, so will such idiotic rituals which demean the status of women. So no, I do not live in Whitewaistan but in England, democratic country.

As a belever in democracy I will exercise my right to protest, boycott, and inform.

The fact the Sikh religion recognises such inequality and idiotic Punjabi culture has not recognised this further adds impetus to why this needs to be stopped.

You may wish to live in a medieval society warrior but I do not.

Best Wishes

if you dont agree just say so....no need to be drama queen dear.

You asked me about why I despised it today......I don't really care what it was yesterday....but what it is TODAY. See above.

So you are saying that female infanticide in Punjab is a delusion?

The boy to girl ratio is a delusion?

Festivals such as this do not contribute to the myth that boys are better?

What uis your rationale....no empty statements please....I have made a case you make yours.

But burning witches at the stake was part of the culture here.....it is now gone? Not all culture is good mate.

No friend......do not paint me to be a fanatic or a fool.

I know my history, and I am fully conversent in Punjab in terms of cultural, sociological and other practices.

This "festival" and other customs which are intergral in Punjabi society perpetuate the myth that the male is superior............this in term contributes to female infanticide. Too bad you cannot see that or maybe you are not familiar with Punjabi Cultural practices?

Guest Dancing Warrior

You asked for my rationale and I gave it....and now you have ignored it. Great job mate !!

My premise is based on the fact and recent news article (on female infanticide), that Punjabi Culture values the birth of a boy more than a girl. This "festival" is part of that "Punjabi Culture".

What Has Lohri Got To Do With THis?

1) It is specifically celebated by those who have had the birth of a baby boy. Never by those who have had a girl (of late some have celebrated for a girl as a gesture of defiance, this however has been for the main been ridiculed).

2) The festival itself consists of listing a fire and various symbols that represent fertility, the white radish representing the phalic symbol. All to represent the male as being the creator and superior.

3) My Observation - women with only baby girls are bullied, cajoled into going to the event and more often than not humiliated by women who have had baby boys.

As for being a minority, my Western education has taught me how wrong such festivals are. Just as burning witches at the stake was banned by western civilisation, so will such idiotic rituals which demean the status of women. So no, I do not live in Whitewaistan but in England, democratic country.

As a belever in democracy I will exercise my right to protest, boycott, and inform.

The fact the Sikh religion recognises such inequality and idiotic Punjabi culture has not recognised this further adds impetus to why this needs to be stopped.

You may wish to live in a medieval society warrior but I do not.

Best Wishes

if you dont agree just say so....no need to be drama queen dear.

You asked me about why I despised it today......I don't really care what it was yesterday....but what it is TODAY. See above.

So you are saying that female infanticide in Punjab is a delusion?

The boy to girl ratio is a delusion?

Festivals such as this do not contribute to the myth that boys are better?

What uis your rationale....no empty statements please....I have made a case you make yours.

But burning witches at the stake was part of the culture here.....it is now gone? Not all culture is good mate.

No friend......do not paint me to be a fanatic or a fool.

I know my history, and I am fully conversent in Punjab in terms of cultural, sociological and other practices.

This "festival" and other customs which are intergral in Punjabi society perpetuate the myth that the male is superior............this in term contributes to female infanticide. Too bad you cannot see that or maybe you are not familiar with Punjabi Cultural practices?

It is you that have painted yourself as a fanatic fool, i can not take credit for this

People who wanna see only problems can see them in anything or any festival in this world.

The solution is not to boycot but to bring up the nice things and make people aware of the bad practices associated with it.

Lohri was not started just for the celebration of the birth of a male kid.....it became a part of it later on.

Also,nowadays people celebrate lohri for both male and female kids.