Scottish-american Mercenary Of Ranjit Singhs Army

sikh supreme

histor7.gif

Alexander Gardner, (or GARDINER) Scottish-American mercenary, commanding Ranjit Singh's powerful and well-trained artillery forces, in a uniform of his own design, including tartan turban. Gardiner played a fascinating and little-remembered part in this drama, having started in the Indian Army, then gradually working his way around the subcontinent.

He lived to a ripe old age, setting up shop in Srinagar, the capital of the state of Kashmir. He lived well into his 90's, entertaining nearly every traveler and explorer who came through Kashmir on the way to the north and west.. Very little is known about his life, as many of his stories were discounted by contemporaries, He did write a book after Singh's death, "The Fall of the Sikh Empire", reprint copies of which may be found after diligent search. If his stories are true, Gardiner explored more of the Hindu Kush, the Pamirs and the otherwise unknown and forbidden western Himalaya than anyone before him, and his travels were not equaled in scope for half a century. His problem was, he didn't explore to explore, he just tried to stay one step ahead of whoever was chasing him. Let's just say not all of his behavior was exemplary...here is a picture of him during the service to Singh, surrounded by other members of the Sikh army.

S0002705.jpg

Alexander Gardner was more closely involved with the Dogras and their army and not the Sikh army of the Lahor Darbar. That picture with him standing with those soldiers are not Sikh soldiers, but Dogra soldiers. Although he was very close with the Dogras he knew alot about their dealings with the British he has written about their involvement with the British during the Anglo-Sikh wars.

If there is a picture of this Gardiner bloke, could there possibly be a photo of Maharaja Ranjit Singh somewhere?

I know a few years back there was a picture, but it was controvertial and some say it has Mh Ranjit singh on it

others say it was a fake.

It was a group picture of British officers and in the middle was a chieftain (who could have been a sikh) and behind

him was another Sikh who some think was Hari Singh. Again, it was never proved to be authentic. I think I have a

very poor quality copy of it someplace.

I think that this picture of Gardner (with the soldiers) was taken between 1860-1880 period which would make it 20-40 after Raja Ranjit Singh died. So the picture is not a contemporary of Raja Ranjit Singh.

As for the supposed picture of Ranjit Singh, that was not Ranjit Singh at all. I think it was of a guy named Sher Ali and his Pathan body guards standing with British officers.

If there is a picture of this Gardiner bloke, could there possibly be a photo of Maharaja Ranjit Singh somewhere?

I know a few years back there was a picture, but it was controvertial and some say it has Mh Ranjit singh on it

others say it was a fake.

It was a group picture of British officers and in the middle was a chieftain (who could have been a sikh) and behind

him was another Sikh who some think was Hari Singh. Again, it was never proved to be authentic. I think I have a

very poor quality copy of it someplace.

Heres that picture...

ranjitme9.jpg

I think that this picture of Gardner (with the soldiers) was taken between 1860-1880 period which would make it 20-40 after Raja Ranjit Singh died. So the picture is not a contemporary of Raja Ranjit Singh.

As for the supposed picture of Ranjit Singh, that was not Ranjit Singh at all. I think it was of a guy named Sher Ali and his Pathan body guards standing with British officers.

No picture of Sher Ali i've searched for so far matches that picture. So it remains a mystery whether he is the great Maharajah Ranjit Singh or Sher Ali or neither. Personally I doubt its Ranjit Singh, but you never know.