Importance Of Raag

without_a_name

Gurfateh!!

With regards to ragis not doing kirtan in raag it is not because they don't know it but because they want to make most profit, sangat thesedays will walk up and go if kirtan is not 'fun' to them, so ragis will have to play filmy tunes to keep people interested.

This is a very sad situation but true.

As i mentioned before our Gurus have told us how to get the most out of Gurbani, however if you want to just read it or sing it as you please, then carry on its not a bad thing but, you will get more out of it as if it is done as prescribed by our Gurus.

Bhul Chuk Maaf!

Gurfateh!!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tell me what does a GRANTHI SINGH shud do?

u will say MUKHWAAK and akhand paath or paath shud also be done in raags?

and how funny does it look that we have to learn raag before doing kirtan.

na koi raag learn kar sake te jad tak mooh chak ke betha rahe kirtan karan lai.

its more important to learn meanings of baani and remembering baani.

this is the true respect which AKJ people do.

not like the other raageees who know raags but never mostly know the meanings of shabads and write shabads on papers ( parchian) and doing bedabi of baani.

and who says that akj kirtanees dnt k ow raags?

have u ever listened to DR. TAJINDERPAL SINGH DOOLA JI?

AND THERE ARE MANY KIRTANIS IN AJK WHO have good knowledge of raags.

other people's inferiority complex always make them to pull akj in controversy and some times the topic these people create never had anything do to with them , but they make it for starting controvesy over akj.

i am not an akj singh but i know its the best. i like it most.

tell me what does a GRANTHI SINGH shud do?

u will say MUKHWAAK and akhand paath or paath shud also be done in raags?

KEERTAN is in raags, tahts what we are discussing not hukum :umm:

and how funny does it look that we have to learn raag before doing kirtan.
why is it funny? i dont find it funny at all. yes anyone can do kirtan, wheter in raags or not. BUT, it would be NICER to do kirtan in raags thats all. :cool:

its more important to learn meanings of baani and remembering baani.
i agree, understanding bani is of utmost importance :TH:

funny in way like if u hav to do kirtan then learn raags and dnt do kirtan if u dnt know raags.

and there we discussing acc to topic starter, like he says that its written raag this and this before all shabads.

but its not written that only do kirtan in raags and do hukanama simply.

dats the example i m giving topic starter

i dnt need clearifications from u .

it was funny thing acc to the views of topic starter, though i know its not funny.

funny in way like if u hav to do kirtan then learn raags and dnt do kirtan if u dnt know raags.
ok i'm going to play devil's advocate here.

then why not just do it at home until you learn the raag stuff? wouldn't that solve the problem. you can do kirtan and no need to learn raags either :umm:

Guest Narinder Singh

Understanding Gurbani and understanding it in the music measures Guru Sahib gave that particular shabad are one and the same.

If you recite a shabad, understand it completely, but dont recite it in the raag it was written in, you're only getting half of the effect, not all. Gurbani doesnt only give knowledge and understanding to an individual, it also brings forth emotions and feelings that one should feel.

I am not saying we should only use raag, but if we want to have the FULL effect of a particular shabad, raag is required. Our Guru Sahibans knew exactly what they were doing, they wouldnt give a musical measure for each and every shabad if it "didnt matter how we sang it" or if they believe that "understanding the meaning was more important".

Sri Guru Granth Sahib is perfect, if we cant acknowledge that, its our shortcoming, dont pick and chose whats important and whats not.

Fateh.

ok i'm going to play devil's advocate here.

then why not just do it at home until you learn the raag stuff? wouldn't that solve the problem. you can do kirtan and no need to learn raags either :umm:

akj samagams are like a doing kirtan togater in a home.

they dnt advertise like its a raag darbar and come join us.

i love raags also.

u can see i have uploaded many akj videos and many classical raag videos.

and it does not matter kirtan to do in raags or in other tunes.

i dnt want any further discussion.

those who say to do kirtan is raags shud go and learn their self first.

and u shud try learning it first.

sa re ga ma pa dha ni sa :e:

Why must Sikhs compromise everything? Why cannot there be Raag Kirtan AND Pyar? Everyone makes the assumption that people who sing Raag Kirtan don’t really have pyaar for Gurbani, this is far from the truth, if anything the Raagis can appreciate the Gurbani more because they understand the mood and feeling which it should be sung in.

Raag has its purpose, without it allot of the expression is lost. To truly understand bani you must go further then just the words and the arth. To appreciate it you must understand the feelings of the Guru when they wrote the particular shabad, put yourself in the Gurus place and simulate the mood they were feeling at that particular time, how do you find out what mood? RAAG!!

Imagine reading a novel, in there the author explains an incident in their life, a time or hardship or pain, the person missed a particular member of their family. If you yourself don’t try to emulate that feeling of longing and separation then you cannot really appreciate what the person is writing about. In this same way, without understanding raag you are missing a big element of what the Guru is trying to say to you.

Pyar counts, there is no doubt about that, someone who doesn’t love Gurbani will never be able to join with it, but ontop of that there must be the ability to express it. Probably the best example would be Singhs going to war, one person can have pyaar for shastar, he matha teks to them every day, does seva of cleaning them and sharpening them, but he cannot use them, he doesn’t understand vaars, penthreh, or strategies, come the time of battle his life is on the line and he regrets not learning the art of war. Through his laziness and excuse of using the “pyar and sharda” card, he is certain to die in war.

It is these compromises and “pyar and sharda” cards which have destroyed many arts which were blessed to the Sikhs by the Guru. There was a time when people would come to Sri Harmandir Sahib to learn Raag Kirtan, people would come to the Sikhs to train in the art of war, and now, it’s the complete opposite, Sikhs have resorted to going to Hindu and Muslim ustaads to learn kirtan, and are going to goreh and chinneh to learn martial arts. When something existed no one did kadhar of it, now when its extinct we make excuses.

Wicked Post Gurbar Akaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal !!!!!!!!!

:umm: