Dastaars?!

singh1986

before posting shabads we should thoroughly do vichar...

the shabad Khoob teri pagri meethay teray bol... we need to understand the circumstance that bhagat naam dev ji was in when he wrote the shabad....

at the time he wrote the shabad...he was on the roadside on his way to Dwarka...he was tired and thirsty..and in his mind thought...if god could send me a horse to ride or a drink of water...the next instant, a mughal was riding and stopped and yelled at bhagat ji, that his horse is tired and told bhagat ji to pull his horse...

instead of being upset...this experience sent bhagat ji's soul straight to akal purkhs charan...and so he describes the outer appearance of the mughul...but sees it as his akal purkh ...and that's why he says...dwarka nagri kahay kay mughol?....

this shabad is of a very deep spiritual nature...nothing to do with whether to wear pugs or not...

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

here are some from Guru Granth Saahib jee both of Guru Arjun Dev Jees bani..

hau gosweI dw pihlvwnVw ]

ho gosaaee dhaa pehilavaanarraa ||

I am a wrestler; I belong to the Lord of the World.

mY gur imil auc dumwlVw ]

mai gur mil ouch dhumaalarraa ||

I met with the Guru, and I have tied a tall, plumed turban.

sB hoeI iCMJ iekTIAw dXu bYTw vyKY Awip jIau ]17]

sabh hoee shhi(n)jh eikat(h)eeaa dhay bait(h)aa vaekhai aap jeeo ||17||

All have gathered to watch the wrestling match, and the Merciful Lord Himself is seated to behold it. ||17||

Full Shabad: http://www.sikhitothemax.com/page.asp?ShabadID=183

---------

kwieAw ikrdwr Aaurq XkInw ]

kaaeiaa kiradhaar aourath yakeenaa ||

Let good deeds be your body, and faith your bride.

rMg qmwsy mwix hkInw ]

ra(n)g thamaasae maan hakeenaa ||

Play and enjoy the Lord's love and delight.

nwpwk pwku kir hdUir hdIsw swbq sUriq dsqwr isrw ]12]

naapaak paak kar hadhoor hadheesaa saabath soorath dhasathaar siraa ||12||

Purify what is impure, and let the Lord's Presence be your religious tradition. Let your total awareness be the turban on your head. ||12||

Full Shabad: http://www.sikhitothemax.com/page.asp?ShabadID=3795

if anyone knows the meaning/vichaar on the following shabads plz comment... or if there is a sakhi behind it ...

" Without a crown, there is no king. Without a turban, there is no Singh."

Lol, i liked this quote.

Dastaar was given to us by Guru Gobind Singh Ji to maintain our identity.

I can't explain how i feel every morning when i stand infront the mirror and tie ym dastaar. Each larh has 100's of Singhaan di kurbaniaan. Those who fought for the khalsa panth.

the Dastaar is a declaration; a symbolf of soverienty and freedom. The symbol of Guru's love, Guru's affection, and Guru's given responsability.

"A Dastaar is only a Dastaar when it is on the table; when it is on your head, it is part of your head".

Waheguru ji ka Khalsa, Waheguru ji ki Fateh.

the second shabad you have provided from ang 1083, Prof Sahib Singh's vichar of it can be found at this link....

http://www.searchgurbani.com/main.php?book...e&page=4263

the vichar of the arth is in punjabi...

from what i understand of the shabad...guru sahib is using the metaphor of the muslim's practices and dress...and equating them to different positive attributes of a bhagat...

there are many shabads like this in gurbani...in which guru sahib will use meaphors to explain a concept...for example....in one shabad he says...naam beej, santokh suhaga, rakh gareebi ves... in this pangti guru sahib explaining if spirituality was a farm...naam would be the seed, santokh would be the plowing and working the farm, and humility would be the fence...

the pangti isn't telling us to go out and live on a farm and do farming and build fences...it is merely using metaphors to communicate with the people how gursikhi lifestyle is...

in the shabad that jaspaul singh provided...the reference to sabat soora dastaar sira....guru ji is talking to the muslim...he's saying...yeah...you have a prayer mat, you have a nimaag, you have a turban, you have a certain dress....but the message is...all these are fine and dandy...but the main this is having and cultivating those positive attributes that guru ji equates them to....in fact this shabad has nothing to do with telling sikhs that they have to wear a dastaar...

in my next post i'll look at the first shabad...

k..in reference to the gur mil och dumallara pangti....

the vichar from Prof Sahib Singh's darpan is

http://www.searchgurbani.com/main.php?book...ge&page=338

this whole shabad...guru ji talks about how he met the true guru and all his affairs were taken care of by the true guru...

in various verses he's given examples of metaphors...in one he's used farming, in one he used a village that was in trouble but now is saved...like wise in verse 17 of this shabad...he uses the metaphor of being in a wrestling match and being the winner...

to understand this metaphor..we need to know what the dumallaraa is that guru ji is talking about...in the wrestling akharaas...the winner used to get the dumallara put on his head to signify that he was the winner...

so when guru ji says mai gur mil ouch dhumaalarraa | he is saying...that he is in the wrestling tournament...however...he has met the True Guru...so he has the ouch dhumalalraa...meaning since he has met the True Guru...he won the wrestling competition....all of verse 17 is talking about the wrestling competition...he describes that the whole world is present at the match and that god himself is watching the wrestling match...

then in verse 18 guru ji tells more about what happens in this wrestling match..how he is surrounded by the other wrestlers, but by the guru's grace, he has been able to beat the five opponents...those five being kaam, krodh, lob, moh, hankaar...

SO in essence...this shabad also does not have anything to with guru sahib telling us to wear dastaars...it is a metaphor describing the triumph our souls will have over the five vices once we truly become of the guru....

amazing posts JSS veerji...

i agree dat wi whud refrain from postin Guru's Bani w/out propper vichaar... wi can't tek everytin from STTM as literal an accurate translations...

now this nah mean dat dastaar ISN'T important... dastaar is very important and significant for sikhs..

i's very practical...:

1. it protects ur head - back in war times it cud be used as a 'shield' for ur head as well, since (as per many stories/sakhis) gursikhs wore big dumalla's..

2. keeps dust and all udda gunk outta ya kesh..

3. it serves as some sort of 'cranial adjustment' for ur skull... which is actually scientifically proven... (.... tha's a good thing :) )

4. it gives us identity - Guru Gobind Singh Jee Maharaj said HE wanted HIS Sikh to stand out in a crowd of millions... our Dastaar is one ting dat gives us outside identity

5. back in da 'old days', only Kings and Princes and other royalty wore 'turbans'... Guru sahib abolished the class and caste systems... he said all sikhs shud wear turbans because there is nobody higher then anybody else.. wi are all equal...

6. Our father is the "King of Kings"... we are his sons and daughters... we are princes and princesses... a king wud never remove his crown (dastaar)..

7... it jus looks GOOD :lol:

Chardi Kalaa!!

Vaheugru Jee Ka Khalsa, Vaheguru Jee Kee Fateh!!