Just Came Back From India....

well i just got back from India a couple days ago. Got engaged, and also got a court marriage under the Hindu Marriage Act, got the certificate to prove it. It actually says "Hindu Marriage Registration"

The trip started out by landing at Indira Gandhi International Airport. For all the super philisophical sikhs on this site who think naming an airport after a genocidal leader is a non-issue, I must say that the name of this airport is labelled everywhere so no mistake is made as to who this airport is named after. So after landing at the airport named after the murderer of innocent sikh sangat, I proceeded on the journey to Punjab.

I was very very impressed by the overall development of India. delhi actually has a skyline, if you go on the highway which goes past the Raddison Hotel, owned by Badal I believe. It looked like an american skyline. Very very impressive. My flight actually was 60-65% gorre on business to India. This actually proved helpful because now the airport officials don't bother you for bribes cause a few dozen gorre are waiting behind you in line to go past immigration and the indian officials don't want to hold up the lines and make India look bad in front of the visiting gorras. Immigration went smoothly.

So I just looked out the car window and was amazed how the country is developing. Poverty is still there but you get a sense of change, of real economic change.

So on the way to punjab, we stopped by our usual Dhaba for food in Haryana. The last time I went to thsi place 10 years ago, it was basically a tent. Well, this bad boy was now a three story mega dhaba, with washrooms so clean I actually didn't feel like barfing when entering it. The wasrooms were state of the art, with child workers cleaning it constantly. Yes, the child labor thing is an issue still. So had some great dhaba food and proceeded to PUnjab. the streets are amazing.

One major thing I noticed is that the police presence is very minimal these days. I remember back in the day cops were everywhere, this time I barely ever saw any cops.

It was election time and watching IBN-CNN or whatever, I was pretty impressed by the american style election coverage. India is definitely on the rise.

of course with all the nice roads and development, you have your people on the side of the roads doing a number one and in some rare cases some kids doin a number two :)

Also surprisingly, I didn't see too much anti-sikh stuff, saw a lot of gurbaani boards, sikhi related signs, etc etc. Also saw a lot of people in dastaars, many many kids who keep Kesh.

Ok, onto the point. Khalistan. My humble and honest observation about khalistan in Punjab, is that the Indian gov't has successfully killed any genuine widespread support for an independent sikh state. However, I will say this, the people of Punjab have a very very emotional nature and don't atke anyone's garbage. The attitude of Punjabi sikhs is one of immense pride and vigor. I don't see any tyrannical regime suppressing the dynamic nature of Punjabi sikhs. the people are strong physically and mentally. I didn't see any pushovers. What I did see is a group of people who just want to live and live with dignity. With the media presence in PUnjab i don't see the gov't getting away with another 1984. it is just impossible.

i was laughing with my brother-in-law, that us NRIs talk about khalistan, but someone like me would just die from drinking the water in India(had my bottled water with me at all times lol ).....

there are a lot of things i observed but it would get very long.....just thought i'd share a few things...

I noticed the various laws which muddle the sikh identity, i noticed how punjabi is being lost with Hindi words, "ye acha hai, neeche ah jao, nashta kar lao..." all this kind of nonsense, like no one says bhain ji anymore, everyone says "didi"....landing at an aiport named after indira was quite annoying....

but one thing i want to leave with is this. There is just something about the people of Punjab that says, no one can mess with these people. There is an attitude a swagger. It's kind of like, hey you make your laws but we know who we are. you mess with us and we'll break your neck. i don't know. I'm happy with all the development and at the same time there are some things lacking.

overall, i was happy with my trip.

chalo, that's enough for now.

peace.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol yehh glad u had a gud time!!!!

i hate that 2 man - speakin Hindi over in India...my cousin is same she goes to me 'Hindi a national language here' n i was like yeh...ok.... rolleyes.gif

lol i duno what your chattin bout paji, bout the water over is wkd in India - its actually natural!!!!! the amount of heat they got over there - its us 'bheleti lohk' that finish their water in from the tenchi (the water holder thing on the top manjal :) lol but forget it man luv Panjaaab - lol luv the animals wanderin free in the roads amongst people n transport lol is klassicccccc :lol:

oh yeh paji i better have ur vote....read moi signature :umm: :lol:

Wow ! I can't believe, out of all the people, you had some thing good to say about punjab India. After labelling me slave, this and that, I am glad that you said "there is just something about the people of Punjab that says, no one can mess with these people". I know there are a lot of problems that need to be fixed, but things are definetly improving. As you must have seen, the next generation (even if they are patit) are much more aware of the issues around them largely due to the media. In 84, media was state controlled, but now with all the private channels, it is impossible to have a forced blackout.

That said, Punjab is still in a deep hole, and it is only the youth and NRIs that can save it.

AND YES, CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR ENGAGEMENT !!

People are alseep there Environmentally it is getting worse by the minute,they are destroying the environment at the cost of development,the govt deliberately develops certain area in order to attract tourism gain praise and to shut up any opposition,farmers still commit suicide,RSS is in full power with bogus Sikh organisations,the demand for Khalistan has been surpressed through,bribes,terror,development,and the brainwashing of Panjab that we are hindus,and the radhaswami,ashotosh,dera cults.---Panjabs heart in itself is in a silent age of terror,ok no bombs go off or Gurdwareh get attacked ,but Hinduvta has made major in roads into the hearts of Sikhs in Panjab,and ultimately the Sikh Faith within Panjab,the people don;t want to know,the recent elections just showed this they voted the enemies of the Panth into power ....Im saddened to say the People of Panjab will once again have to wake up 'jago' the hard way

oh mai keha munday nu vadhaiyaan te de deyo...sagaaee karaake aayaa aa Punjab ton

mittra, sab ton pellaan taan tennu sagaaee diyaan lakh lakh vadhaiyaan...

last time i visited India was july 1999, and day by day my desperation is reaching new heights...u just added on and made it worse...

im so glad reading everything u noticed about Punjabi Sikhs in Punjab...

acha ab yeh bataao ki shaadi kab ki hai (just to haunt u with the hindi u must have heard in Punjab...LOL LOL.gif )

cheers :)

waheguru ji kakhalsa waheguru ji ki fateh!!!

first of all congratulations :) awwwwwwww thats soo kool!

pray.gif hope the weddin ceremony takes place here (in US) so i can get to attend another wedding :lol:

I WANT LADDDOOOOOOsss~ (ok not those really yukky oilly kind but the good ones) or maybe BARFFFI! yummm tongue.gif yea barrffi would be good! i like it more thn laddooz

hopefully get to see ya soon!(nd maybe thn u can give me the barfffi l partytime.gif olz)