Sikh Militant Leader Chauhan Dies Of Heart Attack At 80

Sikh militant leader Chauhan dies of heart attack at 80

The Associated Press

Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Click here to find out more!

AMRITSAR, India: Jagjit Singh Chauhan, a Sikh leader who led a violent separatist campaign in India's northern Punjab state, died Wednesday after suffering a heart attack. He was 80.

A dentist by training, Chauhan was active in state politics and became a lawmaker in 1967. In 1970, he launched a campaign for a separate state called Khalistan, or Land of the Pure, for India's Sikh minority.

Thousands were killed during the secessionist campaign for Khalistan. The insurrection was crushed in the early 1990s, but many rebels remain at large.

At the peak of the separatist insurgency in the 1980s, Chauhan emigrated to the United Kingdom and opened embassies there and in some European countries representing Khalistan. He even issued passports and created a separate currency.

He returned to India in 2001 and said he would continue to campaign for a homeland for his people, but renounced violence.

Prime Minister Indira Gandhi angered the Sikh community by ordering an army raid in June 1984 on the religion's holiest shrine in the northern city of Amritsar to flush out Sikh militants.

The move led to the assassination of Gandhi by her Sikh bodyguards on Oct. 31, 1984.

Chauhan died in the town of Tanda, 105 kilometers (65 miles) east of Amritsar.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just a question...

what kind of leader declares a separate nation (and in doing so declaring war with the central government) from outside the nation and stays abroad during the years where thousands of young singhs lives were endangered?

didn't all great leaders lead the troops into battle instead of watching from the sidelines?

also...what did chohan ji do on the international stage? did he write papers and present them to human rights organizations? did he engage the media in the western and eastern hemispheres? what was his contribution other than declaring the separate nation. How did he promote this idea among the sikhs of punjab? how did he help the sikhs of punjab? what did he have to say or do about the many sikhs that died...both those in the movement and the many innocents that were killed in fake police encounters.

these are questions that i have had about this man for a while...i was wondering if those who are saluting can tell us a bit more about what dr chohan was all about. what he did, what type of jeevan he led...

jss i think most of the khalistani leaders or self-promoted leaders are normal ppl like us.. Most of them talk, discuss, voice regarding khalistan as their part time hobby. They are very poor in diplomatic field but I respect them because of their part of work during late 70's or early 80's. I can't say anything about them after 80's as most became traitors or started mis-using their positions etc..

All i know about chauhan is that he is the one from uk who started the khalistan currency or something like that.. It's funny that dr. Aulakh of US sells that money to some ppls.. (100 khalistani dollars for 100 us dollars)..

Mr. Jagjit Singh Chauhan wrote INNUMERABLE articles against the Indian opression and favouring Khalistan

He made Khalistan Houses in many countries. In the hatyarbandh sangharsh against Brahmanic Sarkar, Chauhan did economically help Khalistan commando Force under Labh Singh. Under Labh Singh guidances and Chauhans money the KCF did amaze the Brahmans. We can say that all succsesses under Labh Singh's command where Chauhan's. BEcause without money one can't buy weapons and without weapons we cannot fight a opression.

Only thing he shud have done is that like Shaheed Darshan Singh Pheruman, Chauhan shud have gone on hunger strike with demand of Khalistan and become a Shaheed for Khalistan.

A loss,all the old relics are dying out day by day,it is up to the youth to do something now to keep the flame alive,how ever corrupt people may say he was or wrong,fact is he put his own life at Risk,by demanding Khalistan ,by going agianst Delhi,he could have sided with Delhi but chose not to,so lets not go into the grimy politics bit,and just pay salutations to another Icon of Khalistan who has passed on,but the qoum is still ghulam.

i never could really figure out which of these "khalistani leaders" are legit....cause if we look at the plight of real khalistani singhs, just supporting khalistan got them and their whole families eliminated. so i have a little test of my own when it comes to these things:

1) if you see an amritdhari sikh in india with any kind of assault weapon, AK-47, rifle, rocket launcher(like some so called "nihungs" in India) walking around freely flashing their weapons in public, they are most likely gov't tutoos, cause real sikhs can't have weapons in india. real sikhs with weapons in india are tortured and made to disappear.

2) If self-proclaimed khalistani leaders from foreign countries(USA Canada, etc etc)freely and easily visit India, most likely they are gov't tutoos. cause an innocent singhs from england, etc get arrested for years and tortured when visiting india, for just talking about human rights.

3) If a person demands khalistan and is seen with a tilak on his head, a la Akali party members, they are chandus as well.

4) If a person makes a fiery speech at gurdwara about khalistan and then takes the sangat's money never to be heard from again, they may be gov't tutoos.

5) If a person who demands khalistan and the destruction of India along with the murder of hindus, they are most likely gov't tutoos or psychos.

Just a few rules of mine I thought I'd share.

as for Chohan, i never knew the guy, never really studied up on him, don't know much. Would need more info before putting him up their with mahaan khalistanis such as bhai jinda and sukha..........

peace.