Questioning Our Gurus

why are sikhs these days questioning the Gurus...........Christians dont question Jesus and Muslims dont with their Prophet.....so why do sikhs.................................. grin.gif

thts wt am talkin about....... we are never "we" instead of that its always "I"........ i am always at sikhsangat lookin for somebody to teach me to overcome this problem coz the "I" thing bothers me but I learned a lot of stuff from here even though am not an active participant in all the conversations ...... I have faced those questions too by my friends and by myself. I work in an area totally surrounded by black people more like radical blacks more like in religious sense. I ve to face these questions everyday in my life Do You Believe in Jesus? I am like inside my head asking the guy "Do" You Believe in Jesus ? but on the other hand I have this another question in my head going on asking me Do I Believe in What my religion and my identity being a sikh requires me to believe?

Papi brother ....... i guess i should have ur screen name coz there are a lot of things in my life that describe and justify that characteristic of mine and i wish if i could learn something from someone over here to be a "SIKH"............. bhul chuk maaf I just wanted to share that coz I ve been observing and noticing sikhsangat a lot of times and it has given me a tremendous amount of help in this matter .... a matter that matters to me a lot.......

once again.....

T H A N K S to sikhsangat

why are sikhs these days questioning the Gurus...........Christians dont question Jesus and Muslims dont with their Prophet.....so why do sikhs.................................. grin.gif

What are you talking about? Have you ever met any Christians or Muslims before? Everyone questions their faith at some point of time. You think only Sikhs do this? LOL.gif

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

We can't completely blame the "sikhs" who question their guru for this. In my experience, its because we don't have the answers that even our Gurus had. When our Gurus taught us, they gave us reasons for things that made sense. Now, you ask someone why do sikhs do _____, and you'll get either "I don't know" or "you will go to dharamraj where you will burn for 8.5 million lives if you don't listen to me".

When sikhs who are on the fence hear that, it doesn't exactly help them be more faithful.

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

Why do Sikhs question our Gurus?

Because, as a philosophy, Sikhi preaches to contemplate. That is one the MAIN things that our Gurus did with their religions (That they were born into), and did overall.

Over, and over gurbani teaches to CONTEMPLATE the writings of the gurus.

One of the main things Sikhi utlized back in the day in our guru's time was avoiding Blind Faith. And by avoiding, they meant, QUESTION, contemplate, See what makes sense to you.

We are supposed to be born, bred philosophers. Philosophers just contemplate and question.

THen we have stories on the Khalsay, who even Guru Gobind said "You are my leader now" too.

Our religion strives off of reason, and logic, and that is why questioning and contemplation is very prevalent in our community. OR should be atleast.

The only way you LEARN, is to ASK a question. Remember even in school, teachers would say "there is NO such thing as a dumb question." Any question is better than silence.

And if you remember, which kids were overall better in school, the ones who asked questions till they recieved an answer, or the ones who sat their in class and just took notes all day believing that their teacher was 100% right in all facts, and refused to ask a question to clear his mind? I would DEFINETLY pick the first child.

Thats what Sikhs are supposed to be. Not just note-takers of the experiences the Gurus wrote about their lives and spiritualities.

The Gurus were supposed to lay a foundation for us to build belief off of. Thats why its questioned, unlike Islam where its not a foundation and more of a "this is the answer to every situation you will ever encounter in life".

Once we question and reach that foundation that the gurus layed for us, then we become on the true path =) . Blindly accepting the foundation as truth will result in blindly accepting an answer to every situation. One of the key issues most of our Gurus spoke against.