Maya

Guest Papi

Hmm... why does maya seem sweet?

Does maya seem sweet to Gursikhs too? NOOOOO!! Become a gursikh and you'll find answers to all the questions. Papi bai maan marna pennda, jehra saukha kamm ni haiga. As you have said you aren't talking about material things, you are concerned about KAAM, Krodh, Moh, Ahunkaar. I am no giani when it comes to serious topics but how i try to fight with these chors...umm try to find the root cause of why/when these chors attack the person. Kill the cause, we'll succeed in killing the chors.

ps: I see Bibi KKL edited her post, she knows what i am talking about tongue.gif . I thought america was after Iraq but i guess now they are after me :devil: .

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks bibi :( i was wondering why you hadn't made a post yet :devil:

btw, i wasn't talking about material things, even though that does play a part. i was thinking more in terms of kaam, krodh, moh, ahunkaar.

Sorry Baba, my computer was misbehaving when you posted yesterday. But now you have to listen to me rambling rolleyes.gif lucky you.

The panj chorrrrrrrrr.

Ego seems to be 'inbuilt' into us humans, but that of course is only a wall we hide behind in order to avoid fighting the battles we need to fight. I suppose everyone feels differently, but I think most people like to feel important, wanted or loved. I don't know if the needing-to-feel-loved part is due to ego or just neediness (or maybe it's ok), but we always seem to forget that Guru Saheb loves us - usually just because we are too blind to recognise that love, or because we think He should be here in a more physical form. A Sikh should always remember that whatever gifts they have were borrowed from the library of Maharaj, and perhaps eventually being grateful and happy will become more sweet than swelling up with self-pride.

Greed stems from ego - we feel the need to 'glorify' ourselves in a way which society around us can relate to. If we earn more money, our family becomes well-known, we lay down a good future for our kiddies. We see things/accessories which other people have like the latest mobiles or cells, and then we want them to. Basically we want them so that other people will like us more, we'll fit in and maybe even be more admired. Then we'll feel important and wanted, we think we'll feel secure - as long as there are these admiring people around us, we'll feel more important. But for a Sikh, why should that need even exist?

I don't think anger is sweet to anyone. I found what kaur_khalistani_lioness said about the frontal lobe shutting down really interesting. We get angry, again because of ego. Sometimes because we simply cannot see that Guru Saheb is in everyone - we don't understand other people and their actions (usually we don't even bother trying to understand). We're quick to judge, less quick to help.

Attachment - it's all about false love. Only we don't think it's false, we think it's true. When two people hook up, they bond emotionally - sharing feelings etc. It makes us feel wanted again, like our existence is very important for the other person. And we like the knowledge that we are making a difference in another person's life. Attachment to friends and family is similar. We forget the bigger picture, we forget that this attachment might not be in the best interests of the people involved in the long run. Turning away from this attachment is one of the hardest things a person can do. It's like the mind is split in two - one half knows that the attachment is taking over, removing Godly thoughts.. whilst the other part is lapping it all up - the mind feels 'happy' from taking pleasure out of another person, and providing pleasure to them.

Kaam is pretty similar, only in a more physical way. Kaam is all about the body. Our lives revolve around our bodies - because that's all we really seem to know. It's physical - we're more prone to believe in things we can physically see or feel. So when we see someone we like and our hormones rush, it stimulates our mind. The problem is that for many of these things, today' society seems to think that stifling/fighting these urges is actually cruel. They say we're only human, we've been given these feelings. So we begin to doubt the One who's stood by us in every step of life. We need to be brainwashed by Gurbani, we need to think clearly. But to think clearly we need our minds to be clean. It doesn't matter if people around us take a negative view on the term 'brainwashing' - because that's exactly what needs to happen to us.

And I'll stop now. :umm::

~l~

vaheguru ji ka khalsa vaheguru ji ki fateh

*wonders why the thread died after she posted*

Funny how I'm quoting this when there's so much vichaar that can be quoted. Don't worry you didn't kill it tongue.gif

There are some sakhia that prove how maya does try to take us away from vaheguru, its not just OUR attachment to it, I don't remember exactly but there was a bhagat once who did lots of bhagti and maya would come to him in many forms and he would just shake a stick at it and tell it to go away, whether it was in the form of delicate foods that people brought for him, or jewels, or money, etc. he would drive it away and continue in his his remembrance.

So its not JUST our attachment to maya that is the problem, its maya in general, thats why guru sahib says, 'eh maya mohni' this maya is the enticer, that makes us forget, he also says 'eho kutamb tu je dekhda chale nahi tere nale' O' mind this falsehood you see wil not go with you. And it comes in many forms and tries to lure our mind. Ultimately it comes down to us diverting our minds away from it and being detached.

There are some sakhia that prove how maya does try to take us away from vaheguru, its not just OUR attachment to it, I don't remember exactly but there was a bhagat once who did lots of bhagti and maya would come to him in many forms and he would just shake a stick at it and tell it to go away, whether it was in the form of delicate foods that people brought for him, or jewels, or money, etc. he would drive it away and continue in his his remembrance.

So its not JUST our attachment to maya that is the problem, its maya in general, thats why guru sahib says, 'eh maya mohni' this maya is the enticer, that makes us forget, he also says 'eho kutamb tu je dekhda chale nahi tere nale' O' mind this falsehood you see wil not go with you. And it comes in many forms and tries to lure our mind. Ultimately it comes down to us diverting our minds away from it and being detached.

Okie :lol:

Guest Papi
*wonders why the thread died after she posted*

:mellow:

you tend to have that effect tongue.gif :lol:

on a serious note, i just rememberd a salok of bhagat kabir jee, that maya is the enticer and it's not just our attachment to it. this is kaljug and maya is at its full force, tries its to trap as many humans as possible. bhagat jee also tells us how he was saved, ie. how can anyone be saved

kbIr AweI muJih pih Aink kry kir Bys ]

kabeer aaee mujhehi pehi anik karae kar bhaes ||

Kabeer, she[maya] came to me in various forms and disguises.

hm rwKy gur Awpny auin kIno Awdysu ]8]

ham raakhae gur aapanae oun keeno aadhaes ||8||

My Guru saved me, and now she bows humbly to me. ||8||

now, we obviously can't say that bhagat jee was running after maya. and he has made clear that maya came to him in various forms.

on another note, i've noticed that maya is always refered to as being a woman. :| but thats anothe topic worth. :TH:

on a serious note, i just rememberd a salok of bhagat kabir jee, that maya is the enticer and it's not just our attachment to it. this is kaljug and maya is at its full force, tries its to trap as many humans as possible. bhagat jee also tells us how he was saved, ie. how can anyone be saved

kbIr AweI muJih pih Aink kry kir Bys ]

kabeer aaee mujhehi pehi anik karae kar bhaes ||

Kabeer, she[maya] came to me in various forms and disguises.

hm rwKy gur Awpny auin kIno Awdysu ]8]

ham raakhae gur aapanae oun keeno aadhaes ||8||

My Guru saved me, and now she bows humbly to me. ||8||

now, we obviously can't say that bhagat jee was running after maya. and he has made clear that maya came to him in various forms.

This made me think of when we were kiddies and our parents gave us little toys to play with. As babies we don't have the kind of attachment we have to things now. The attachment can grow after Maya comes to us. It's not like we're always looking for it.

on another note, i've noticed that maya is always refered to as being a woman. :lol: but thats anothe topic worth. :TH:

what's your point.

Guest Papi
This made me think of when we were kiddies and our parents gave us little toys to play with. As babies we don't have the kind of attachment we have to things now. The attachment can grow after Maya comes to us. It's not like we're always looking for it.
so then can we say that as per gurmat, its a combination of we going after maya n maya coming after us. :lol:
on another note, i've noticed that maya is always refered to as being a woman. unsure.gif but thats anothe topic worth. thumbsup.gif
what's your point.
just that bibi, its just something i've noticed. maya has been refered to as being female in gurbani (atleast in the cases i've come across) but like i said, maybe we should start another thread on this topic. dont get all ofended now rolleyes.gif

so then can we say that as per gurmat, its a combination of we going after maya n maya coming after us. :lol:

Maybe,.,.I'm not sure. Could be. (Ask Talikhaak) lol

its just something i've noticed. maya has been refered to as being female in gurbani (atleast in the cases i've come across) but like i said, maybe we should start another thread on this topic. dont get all ofended now rolleyes.gif

I wasn't offended, I was just asking. rolleyes.gif