Maya

Guest Papi

Personally i feel that its maya that comes to us and engulfs our soul.... I've seen how newborn infants and 1-2 yr old kids have no attachment to any materialistic things until elders around them start teaching them concept of "Meri - Teri" (mine and yours).... and in no time they are bonded with their toys......

On the concept of Maya being referred as female.... per one of kathas i heard, God created maya which created whole universe... so just like females give birth to newborns, God created universe thru maya..... i'm sure someone would explain it in better way.... just my 2 cents.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Papi
so then can we say that as per gurmat, its a combination of we going after maya n maya coming after us. :|

Maybe,.,.I'm not sure. Could be. (Ask Talikhaak) lol

hanji, dan mahinda talikhaak, jey miley, ta mastak laiye, baba ji, karo bachan :lol:

Guest Papi

just to throw some personal experience on we going after maya vs. maya coming after us.

yes, there are mayavi things that seem sweet to me, and i can fully blame myself for being stuck in that. BUT, there are mayavi that i find VERY VERY VERY sour, but still i can't seem to get away from them. everytime this mayavi thing happens, i get very sad....but still it dont want to leave me alone :lol:

i guess from this i can sorta start to understand that maya does come after us in real life, (yeh, we know it does because guru sahib says so. but this i can say from experience).

in fact, the reason i'm writing this is because that mayavi thing just came and gave me a nose bleed :ysad: and i'm sitting here all clueless

gourree chaethee mehalaa 1 ||

aoukhadhh ma(n)thr mool man eaekai jae kar dhrirr chith keejai rae ||

janam janam kae paap karam kae kaattanehaaraa leejai rae ||1||

man eaeko saahib bhaaee rae ||

thaerae theen gunaa sa(n)saar samaavehi alakh n lakhanaa jaaee rae ||1|| rehaao ||

sakar kha(n)dd maaeiaa than meet(h)ee ham tho pa(n)dd ouchaaee rae ||

raath anaeree soojhas naahee laj ttookas moosaa bhaaee rae ||2||

manamukh karehi thaethaa dhukh laagai guramukh milai vaddaaee rae ||

jo thin keeaa soee hoaa kirath n maettiaa jaaee rae ||3||

subhar bharae n hovehi oonae jo raathae ra(n)g laaee rae ||

thin kee pa(n)k hovai jae naanak tho moorraa kishh paaee rae ||4||4||16||

Gauree Chaytee, First Mehla:

O mind, there is only the One medicine, mantra and healing herb - center your consciousness firmly on the One Lord.

Take to the Lord, the Destroyer of the sins and karma of past incarnations. ||1||

The One Lord and Master is pleasing to my mind.

In Your three qualities, the world is engrossed; the Unknowable cannot be known. ||1||Pause||

Maya is so sweet to the body, like sugar or molasses. We all carry loads of it.

In the dark of the night, nothing can be seen. The mouse of death is gnawing away at the rope of life, O Siblings of Destiny! ||2||

As the self-willed manmukhs act, they suffer in pain. The Gurmukh obtains honor and greatness.

Whatever He does, that alone happens; past actions cannot be erased. ||3||

Those who are imbued with, and committed to the Lord's Love, are filled to overflowing; they never lack anything.

If Nanak could be the dust of their feet, then he, the ignorant one, might also obtain some. ||4||4||16||

Maya (Sanskrit माया māyā[1] ), in Hinduism, is a term describing many things. Maya is the phenomenal world of separate objects and people, which creates for some the illusion that it is the only reality. For the mystics this manifestation is real, but it is a fleeting reality; it is a mistake, although a natural one, to believe that maya represents a fundamental reality. Each person, each physical object, from the perspective of eternity is like a brief, disturbed drop of water from an unbounded ocean. The goal of enlightenment is to understand this —more precisely, to experience this: to see intuitively that the distinction between the self and the universe is a false dichotomy. The distinction between consciousness and physical matter, between mind and body (refer bodymind), is the result of an unenlightened perspective.

Thats a really good explanation of Maya.

Another way of looking at it; maya has spread its shawl around the whole world and everyone is under it, through naam/bani, those rare people they break through this shawl and towards Akaal purkh. Guru sahib says it in many ways, "in attachment to maya", "in love of maya", "in engrossed in maya" he's referring to the individual and his relationship with maya, which is that he is trapped by its false love and temporary presence.

Our Attachment to Maya

ਮਾਇਆ ਮੋਹਿ ਵਿਸਾਰਿਆ ਜਗਤ ਪਿਤਾ ਪ੍ਰਤਿਪਾਲਿ ॥

Mā­i­ā mohi visāri­ā jagaṯ piṯā parṯipāl.

In attachment to Maya, they have forgotten the Father, the Cherisher of the World.

Rarely Guru sahib tells us about the power of maya, its characteristics, to make us aware and telling us to not fall into its trap, do not lure into its powers, do not let your mind wander.

Maya's Illusion

bwbw mwieAw Brim Bulwie ]

baabaa maaeiaa bharam bhulaae ||

O Baba, Maya deceives with its illusion.

ਗਉੜੀ ਗੁਆਰੇਰੀ ਮਹਲਾ ੫ ॥

गउड़ी गुआरेरी महला ५ ॥

Ga­oṛī gu­ārėrī mehlā 5.

Gauree Gwaarayree, Fifth Mehl:

ਬਿਆਪਤ ਹਰਖ ਸੋਗ ਬਿਸਥਾਰ ॥

Bi­āpaṯ harakẖ sog bisthār.

It torments us with the expression of pleasure and pain.

ਬਿਆਪਤ ਸੁਰਗ ਨਰਕ ਅਵਤਾਰ ॥

Bi­āpaṯ surag narak avṯār.

It torments us through incarnations in heaven and hell.

ਬਿਆਪਤ ਧਨ ਨਿਰਧਨ ਪੇਖਿ ਸੋਭਾ ॥

Bi­āpaṯ ḏẖan nirḏẖan pėkẖ sobẖā.

It is seen to afflict the rich, the poor and the glorious.

ਮੂਲੁ ਬਿਆਧੀ ਬਿਆਪਸਿ ਲੋਭਾ ॥੧॥

Mūl bi­āḏẖī bi­āpas lobẖā. ||1||

The source of this illness which torments us is greed. ||1||

ਮਾਇਆ ਬਿਆਪਤ ਬਹੁ ਪਰਕਾਰੀ ॥

Mā­i­ā bi­āpaṯ baho parkārī.

Maya torments us in so many ways.

ਸੰਤ ਜੀਵਹਿ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਓਟ ਤੁਮਾਰੀ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥

Sanṯ jīveh parabẖ ot ṯumārī. ||1|| rahā­o.

But the Saints live under Your Protection, God. ||1||Pause||

ਬਿਆਪਤ ਅਹੰਬੁਧਿ ਕਾ ਮਾਤਾ ॥

Bi­āpaṯ ahaʼn­buḏẖ kā māṯā.

It torments us through intoxication with intellectual pride.

ਬਿਆਪਤ ਪੁਤ੍ਰ ਕਲਤ੍ਰ ਸੰਗਿ ਰਾਤਾ ॥

Bi­āpaṯ puṯar kalṯar sang rāṯā.

It torments us through the love of children and spouse.

ਬਿਆਪਤ ਹਸਤਿ ਘੋੜੇ ਅਰੁ ਬਸਤਾ ॥

Bi­āpaṯ hasaṯ gẖoṛė ar basṯā.

It torments us through elephants, horses and beautiful clothes.

ਬਿਆਪਤ ਰੂਪ ਜੋਬਨ ਮਦ ਮਸਤਾ ॥੨॥

Bi­āpaṯ rūp joban maḏ masṯā. ||2||

It torments us through the intoxication of wine and the beauty of youth. ||2||

ਬਿਆਪਤ ਭੂਮਿ ਰੰਕ ਅਰੁ ਰੰਗਾ ॥

Bi­āpaṯ bẖūm rank ar rangā.

It torments landlords, paupers and lovers of pleasure.

ਬਿਆਪਤ ਗੀਤ ਨਾਦ ਸੁਣਿ ਸੰਗਾ ॥

Bi­āpaṯ gīṯ nāḏ suṇ sangā.

It torments us through the sweet sounds of music and parties.

ਬਿਆਪਤ ਸੇਜ ਮਹਲ ਸੀਗਾਰ ॥

Bi­āpaṯ sėj mahal sīgār.

It torments us through beautiful beds, palaces and decorations.

ਪੰਚ ਦੂਤ ਬਿਆਪਤ ਅੰਧਿਆਰ ॥੩॥

Pancẖ ḏūṯ bi­āpaṯ anḏẖi­ār. ||3||

It torments us through the darkness of the five evil passions. ||3||

ਬਿਆਪਤ ਕਰਮ ਕਰੈ ਹਉ ਫਾਸਾ ॥

Bi­āpaṯ karam karai ha­o fāsā.

It torments those who act, entangled in ego.

ਬਿਆਪਤਿ ਗਿਰਸਤ ਬਿਆਪਤ ਉਦਾਸਾ ॥

Bi­āpaṯ girsaṯ bi­āpaṯ uḏāsā.

It torments us through household affairs, and it torments us in renunciation.

ਆਚਾਰ ਬਿਉਹਾਰ ਬਿਆਪਤ ਇਹ ਜਾਤਿ ॥

Ācẖār bi­uhār bi­āpaṯ ih jāṯ.

It torments us through character, lifestyle and social status.

ਸਭ ਕਿਛੁ ਬਿਆਪਤ ਬਿਨੁ ਹਰਿ ਰੰਗ ਰਾਤ ॥੪॥

Sabẖ kicẖẖ bi­āpaṯ bin har rang rāṯ. ||4||

It torments us through everything, except for those who are imbued with the Love of the Lord. ||4||

ਸੰਤਨ ਕੇ ਬੰਧਨ ਕਾਟੇ ਹਰਿ ਰਾਇ ॥

Sanṯan kė banḏẖan kātė har rā­ė.

The Sovereign Lord King has cut away the bonds of His Saints.

ਤਾ ਕਉ ਕਹਾ ਬਿਆਪੈ ਮਾਇ ॥

Ŧā ka­o kahā bi­āpai mā­ė.

How can Maya torment them?

ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਜਿਨਿ ਧੂਰਿ ਸੰਤ ਪਾਈ ॥

Kaho Nānak jin ḏẖūr sanṯ pā­ī.

Says Nanak, who have obtained the dust of the feet of the Saints,

ਤਾ ਕੈ ਨਿਕਟਿ ਨ ਆਵੈ ਮਾਈ ॥੫॥੧੯॥੮੮॥

Ŧā kai nikat na āvai mā­ī. ||5||19||88||

Maya does not draw near them. ||5||19||88||

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Akirtghan
Taken from tapoban.org

Becoming drowned in Maya is like drowning in the bathtub. Many people may drown in their bathtub - because they are too fearful, too lazy, and too ignorant to just stand up. You can stand up and realize that this Maya is a joke. Maya is the slave of the slave of the slave of the slave of the slave of the slave of the slave of the Guru. Maya is totally insignificant evil thing - do not let it control you, control it and enjoy the bliss of Guru ji's teachings.

ok grin.gif this bathtub analogy is kinda not making sense to me anymore. here's what i'm thinking, waheguru created maya, then maya created the 3 guns (after taken "power" from waheguru) from these 3 guns EVERYTHING else is created. so umm how can maya be "a joke" when it created EVERYTYHING, the entire creation. From this I get that maya is the 2nd most powerful entity there is after waheguru

here's what i'm thinking, waheguru created maya, then maya created the 3 guns (after taken "power" from waheguru) from these 3 guns EVERYTHING else is created.

I don't understand how Maya created everything from Rajo/Tamo/Sato.. it's too deep for the likes of me, or maybe those attributes have much deeper meanings themselves. Maya didn't take power from anything, Akaal Purakh bestowed the power - but you know that :lol: .

so umm how can maya be "a joke" when it created EVERYTYHING, the entire creation. From this I get that maya is the 2nd most powerful entity there is after waheguru

I don't think Maya in itself can be called a joke, considering that most of us fall for it everytime, and that Maya is so much more powerful than us. The 'joke' is that we mistake it for the real truth, just because we can see/hear/feel it with our senses.

As for being the 2nd most powerful entity, there are probably a lot of powerful entities out there which we know nothing of. But remember they all stem from Akaal Purakh anyway, so maybe there's no need to 'divide' the powers up in our heads. What we need to remember is the difference between the painting and the Painter. But it's really hard to comprehend or put into words, because in the really big picture Akaal Purakh is everything anyway.

• 1 month later...
Guest Akirtghan

ok i was talking to the katha vachak about this and here's how he explained why maya seems so sweet.

there are 2 kinds of foods we eat:

- one kind gives pleasure/taste/benefit a few days/months/years after you have consumed the food. More often then not, this kind of food will be good for you [medicine and desi foods come to mind (i'm told by my parents that eating amlaa every day shows next year) ]

- other one gives pleasure/taste as soon as your tounge touches it. say gulab jamun, they tatse awesome but we know eating too much is bad. But, eating within limit (now, that limit will be different for different individuals) can be beneficial because then you can have the taste and not ruin your health.

Now, the taste of maya is like the 2nd food. lets look at 2 examples:

- kaam, it gives momentary pleasure, but in the long run it rots your body and ofcouse the mind gets rotted right away. as guru sahib tells us

kwmu k®oDu kwieAw kau gwlY ]

kaam krodhh kaaeiaa ko gaalai ||

Unfulfilled sexual desire and unresolved anger waste the body away,

ijau kMcn sohwgw FwlY ]

jio ka(n)chan sohaagaa dtaalai ||

as gold is dissolved by borax.

- lobh, with lobh one can buy expensive cars, build big houses and wear expensive clothes. as society really values these things, these people are seen as the elite of society. but all the praise gets to their head and then they don't think that in the end none of these worldly things will help.

PrIdw koTy mMfp mwVIAw eyqu n lwey icqu ]

fareedhaa kot(h)ae ma(n)ddap maarreeaa eaeth n laaeae chith ||

Fareed, houses, mansions and balconies - do not attach your consciousness to these.

imtI peI AqolvI koie n hosI imqu ]57]

mittee pee atholavee koe n hosee mith ||57||

When these collapse into heaps of dust, none of them will be your friend. ||57||

=======

myrI myrI ikAw krih ijin dIAw so pRBu loiV ]

maeree maeree kiaa karehi jin dheeaa so prabh lorr ||

Why do you say, ""Mine, mine""? Look to God, who has given it to you.

srpr auTI clxw Cif jwsI lK kroiV ]3]

sarapar out(h)ee chalanaa shhadd jaasee lakh karorr ||3||

It is certain that you must arise and depart, and leave behind your hundreds of thousands and millions. ||3||

going back to the sikhi aspect, doing bhagtee of akaal does yield its benefits right away as well. but because other's cannot see those benefits, it is not immediately apparant what one gets from bhagtee. also, since i am a manmuk, i dont usualy see the benefits of reading bani, doing simran right away.

so in the end, you do get pleasures from both maya and akaal, but since mayavee pleasure are felt instantly they tend to overpower the much bigger benefits of bhagtee.

this also enforces the importance of santokh in a sikh's life.

bhul chuk maaf.