Dont Know Where To Begin...

K4ur...

Waheguru

I’ve been thinking about this for a while now and I really would like everyone’s advice on this.

I really want to know more about Sikhi but I don’t know where to start. I joined Sikh Sangat in order to learn something, which I have, but I have also learnt that everyone knows so much more than me. I just don’t know where to begin. I have tried reading books about the Gurus and the Sikh history, but I just find them really hard to understand. I listen to Japji Sahib on my ipod, I have a gutka which i have tried to read along but end up getting lost, I cant read Punjabi and this lets me down.

I’ll also be getting married in a few years time and I want some Sikhi to take with me. Growing up I wasn’t taught anything about Sikhi and I don’t want that to happen to my children, I want to teach my kids.

I would love to take Amrit one day; I guess I want to learn how to walk before I can run…

Sangat Ji – I would really appreciate some advice.

Waheguru. pray.gif

a year ago i was in the same position as you. i have learnt so much in the past year. luckily i have 3 really good amridhari friends whom have taught me a lot and answered any questions i have had, and still do infact.

the internet is an amazing resource to learn about sikhism, but you have to be careful because not everything written is correct. i guess you;l just have to use your own judgement if you ever encounter something which isnt quite right.

anyways heres some sites that i think are good to learn from

http://www.projectnaad.com/ LOOK AT THE LEAFLETS, VERY INFORMATIVE AND CONCISE :lol:

http://www.rajkaregakhalsa.net/literature.htm

http://www.allaboutsikhs.com/

for a comparison of sikhi with other religions

http://www.sikhs.org/religion.htm

also listen to as much kirtan as you can and try to find the translations

http://sikhitothemax.com/search.asp

my punjabi is bad too, you can buy gutkas which are in english letters. i use one called sacred nitnem by harbans singh doabia. it has punjabi and english translation too.

try to make some amritdhari friends, if you go to a uni join the sikh soc.

anyways i hope i have a helped a little

Penji, start talking to Gursikhs.. (even on Msn lol.. it doesnt bite!).. The more u chat to them, the more questons pop up in ur mind and the more u'll ask! The main problem I found at the beginning was what questions to ask..weird huna lol :|

I would advice to start doing Sehj Paath of Guru Granth Sahib ji - after all, all the knowledge is in there.. Read translations line by line.. and take in stuff that u want to. Dont force yourself or try to Revise it.. it's about what really interests you.

Maybe start reading books eg: from http://www.sikhnation.com too..

And start doing Sikh activities.. Like I started Gatka last year and my perspective on life has been so different since then! if there are any youth programmes, take advantage of it! If not dont worry.. :lol: Even a Simran session at amrtivela once a week at the Gurdwara is enough

But Remember, the main aim is to impliment Sikhi in your life 24/7.

Guest Akirtghan

for beginner's http://sikhitothemax.com/page.asp?SourceID=G&pageno=1

read entire guru sahib from ang 1 to ang 1430 with the english translations. after you have done that, you can start to go deeper into the meanings. STTM is just a very overview type of thing, but i think it works very well for beginners :lol: enjoy :TH:

also, if u can, i highly reccomend that you take some punjabi classes.

and ofcourse, as people have said, talk to other's who know more :|

Waheguru

I’ve been thinking about this for a while now and I really would like everyone’s advice on this.

I really want to know more about Sikhi but I don’t know where to start. I joined Sikh Sangat in order to learn something, which I have, but I have also learnt that everyone knows so much more than me. I just don’t know where to begin. I have tried reading books about the Gurus and the Sikh history, but I just find them really hard to understand. I listen to Japji Sahib on my ipod, I have a gutka which i have tried to read along but end up getting lost, I cant read Punjabi and this lets me down.

I’ll also be getting married in a few years time and I want some Sikhi to take with me. Growing up I wasn’t taught anything about Sikhi and I don’t want that to happen to my children, I want to teach my kids.

I would love to take Amrit one day; I guess I want to learn how to walk before I can run

Waheguru. pray.gif

all them helped but i jus wanna say thats a wkd line u just used there!!!

Waheguru

I would love to take Amrit one day; I guess I want to learn how to walk before I can run…

Waheguru. pray.gif

I was also same as u sumtime back (though i've just improved a litile) but it's not as tough as it seems in the beginning. I asked one of my amritdhari relative sumtime back " i don't understand gurbani even a bit, how can i learn it?" and reply was "u just try Guru maharaj will do kirpa" and it did happen. I read ranslation of japji sahib and got the idea, and can now understand a lot of gurbani even without translation.Maybe for u it might be coz as u said ur panjabi's not too good but still today we have almost A to Z of sikhi one click away in english. Just make an effort and things will fall into place. Try talking to religious minded ppl even if it's on msn etc. If u develop it into an interest it's much more useful.