Meaning Of Ardass

ocelot

Extract from an old SS posting http://www.sikhsangat.com/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=156449

"Martial attributes have been assigned to God in both Guru Granth Sahib and Dasam Granth in Sikh faith. There God has been described as the Mighty Force, the Saviour, the Protector and Destroyer of evil etc. In Guru Granth Sahib, God has been spoken of as Asursinghar (Killer of devils). In Dasam Granth, God has been spoken of as Mahakaal, Sarbkal, Sarbloh, Bhagwati etc. McAuliffe stresses this divine importance of sword, saying ‘God subdues enemies, so does the sword, therefore, the sword is God and God is sword.’ Guru Gobind Singh’s God is Mighty Power (All Steel) and Khanda (double-edged sword) whose one edge represents God’s temporal power and the other His spiritual power.

But, at the same time, fifth Guru, Guru Arjan Dev, speaks of calm and pacific nature of the Sikh faith, yet we find references in the composition of Guru Granth Sahib which show great emphasis of Halemi Raj (Righteous rule) in which none is to be victimised and which is to be established either by replacing the existing rule or by transforming the same under the guidelines of Dharam.".

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

rwmklI mhlw 5 AstpdIAw

<> siqgur pRswid ]

iknhI kIAw privriq pswrw ]

iknhI kIAw pUjw ibsQwrw ]

iknhI invl BuieAMgm swDy ]

moih dIn hir hir AwrwDy ]1]

qyrw Brosw ipAwry ]

Awn n jwnw vysw ]1] rhwau ]

iknhI igRhu qij vx KMif pwieAw ]

iknhI moin AauDUqu sdwieAw ]

koeI khqau Anµin BgauqI ]

moih dIn hir hir Et lIqI ]2]

iknhI kihAw hau qIrQ vwsI ]

koeI AMnu qij BieAw audwsI ]

iknhI Bvnu sB DrqI kirAw ]

moih dIn hir hir dir pirAw ]3]

iknhI kihAw mY kulih vifAweI ]

iknhI kihAw bwh bhu BweI ]

koeI khY mY Dnih pswrw ]

moih dIn hir hir AwDwrw ]4]

iknhI GUGr inriq krweI ]

iknhU vrq nym mwlw pweI ]

iknhI iqlku gopI cMdn lwieAw ]

moih dIn hir hir hir iDAwieAw ]5]

iknhI isD bhu cytk lwey ]

iknhI ByK bhu Qwt bnwey ]

iknhI qMq mMq bhu Kyvw ]

moih dIn hir hir hir syvw ]6]

koeI cquru khwvY pMifq ]

ko Ktu krm sihq isau mMifq ]

koeI krY Awcwr sukrxI ]

moih dIn hir hir hir srxI ]7]

sgly krm Drm jug soDy ]

ibnu nwvY iehu mnu n pRboDy ]

khu nwnk jau swDsMgu pwieAw ]

bUJI iqRsnw mhw sIqlwieAw ]8]1]

Raamkalee, Fifth Mehla, Ashtpadeeaa:

One Universal Creator God. By The Grace Of The True Guru:

Some make a big show of their worldly influence.

Some make a big show of devotional worship.

Some practice inner cleansing teahniques, and control the breath through Kundalini Yoga.

I am meek; I worship and adore the Lord, Har, Har. ||1||

I place my faith in You alone, O Beloved Lord.

I do not know any other way. ||1||Pause||

Some abandon their homes, and live in the forests.

Some put themselves on silence, and call themselves hermits.

Some claim that they are devotees of the One Lord alone.

I am meek; I seek the shelter and support of the Lord, Har, Har. ||2||

Some say that they live at sacred shrines of pilgrimage.

Some refuse food and become Udaasis, shaven-headed renunciates.

Some have wandered all across the earth.

I am meek; I have fallen at the door of the Lord, Har, Har. ||3||

Some say that they belong to great and noble families.

Some say that they have the arms of their many brothers to protect them.

Some say that they have great expanses of wealth.

I am meek; I have the support of the Lord, Har, Har. ||4||

Some dance, wearing ankle bells.

Some fast and take vows, and wear malas.

Some apply ceremonial tilak marks to their foreheads.

I am meek; I meditate on the Lord, Har, Har, Har. ||5||

Some work spells using the miraculous spiritual powers of the Siddhas.

Some wear various religious robes and establish their authority.

Some perform Tantric spells, and chant various mantras.

I am meek; I serve the Lord, Har, Har, Har. ||6||

One calls himself a wise Pandit, a religious scholar.

One performs the six rituals to appease Shiva.

One maintains the rituals of pure lifestyle, and does good deeds.

I am meek; I seek the Sanctuary of the Lord, Har, Har, Har. ||7||

I have studied the religions and rituals of all the ages.

Without the Name, this mind is not awakened.

Says Nanak, when I found the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy,

my thirsty desires were satisfied, and I was totally cooled and soothed. ||8||1||

happy?

Just i am more confused now it is not representing sword, it does not fit into line given by sarblohi, the problem with me is i am technical, everything should make some concept, sometime sword sometime akal. really confused.

so finally Bhagauti is same as Akal, that is what you mean to say, then lines posted at starting of post do not make any sense?

Just give a clear concept, take the lines posted at starting, with Akal = Bhagauti = sword, It will clear doubts for my entire life. i will not question just clear this and i will not raise if on this. But please take bani given at starting also.

Just is it sin to use akal in ardass, will it become kachi bani?

ocelot.

the nature of Guru`s Bani is Metaphorical

rarely are there lines that are meant to be treated 100% literally.

example

cwir pwv duie isMg guMg muK qb kYsy gun geIhY ]

chaar paav dhue si(n)g gu(n)g mukh thab kaisae gun geehai ||

With four feet, two horns and a mute mouth, how could you sing the Praises of the Lord?

I can`t speak for you, but i don't have four feet, and two horns, and my mouth is fully capable of speaking.

so why is guruji comparing me to a bull? because so much bani is metaphorical and analogical.

Guruji also compares me to a dog... guruji also tells me i'm a worthless insect.

but really, i'm a human being... is guruji wrong?

why does guruji change me so many times?

guruji uses multiple analogies in gurbaani...

how is the word "mann" good AND bad?

eh man chanchula!!!! oh you crazy mind

and then just one pauri later

eh man piyaariyaaa!!! oh my sweet mind....

why? same word, two different contexts?

this is the case... bhagauti CAN mean sword.

bhagauti CAN mean God.

isn't itpossible?

Guest Akirtghan
hey hey hey remember sword is metaphorical for Akal so why argue with bani my friend it may be that we may not grasp the hidden meaning of it but that does not mean we begin to question my friend......

I've never been told otherwise... I've alaways been told and taught that bhagauti = God

The old controversy used to be that Bhagauti was a Hindu goddess, why would Guru Nanak do simran of Bhagauti first before anything? reason is that Guru sahib has repeatedly used names of Hindu gods/goddesses for the sole purpose of referring to Akaal.