Kirpan

All-Info

Guest Hardeep_S_Khalsa

I got stopped by the police in the morning because they thought I was drunk, I had my taksali 9ft kirpan on the outside and they said nothing to me. It depends which police officer stops u. Also I was wearing no bana.

Guest Hardeep_S_Khalsa

Also this may help you.

http://www.warwickshire.police.uk/Diversit...mmunities/Sikhs

Although the majority of Sikhs live in the Punjab, Britain has the highest population outside India. Sikhism is not based on rigid rules or laws but on the teachings of the 1( Gurus set out in the Guru Granth Sahib. It is a way of devotion and a pattern of life Anyone can become a Sikh if they are prepared to accept the teachings of the Gurus

There are two main areas where the Sikhs come into potential conflict with the law of the land;

The first is the wearing of a turban, whilst riding a motor cycle. Under the Motor Cycles (Protective Helmets) Regulations 1980 there is a specific exemption for Sikhs wearing turbans,

Secondly, is the Kirpan (Dagger). Some police officers may believe Sikhs carry the dagger as an offensive weapon. Under the Criminal Justice Act 1988, which deals with carrying articles with points or blades, there is an exemption, if the person is carrying the item for religious reasons. There is however, no specific exemption under the Prevention of Crimes Act 1953. The person carrying the offensive weapon would have to show that they had a reasonable excuse. The inference being that the carrying of the Kirpan for religious reasons would fall into this category.

In practice, Sikhs who carry the Kirpan will often only carry a very small knife, which could be described as ornamental rather than the original version, which, therefore, complies with their religion.

Others have taken to incorporating it into the design of their Kangha (comb): therefore it is very unlikely to constitute an offensive weapon.

Consider:

* If you visit a Gurdwara, (Sikh Temple) you will be expected to keep your head covered. Police hats can be worn. You will also be asked to remove your shoes if you enter the place of worship.

* If you need to make contact with anyone at the Gurdwara then it is advisable to do this through the President,

* Sikhs will often have a special place of worship in their home and will need to pray at set times during the day. It is impolite to interrupt these prayers, unless unavoidable. It would be more prudent to call back at a later time.

* There may be a room set aside for prayer. Before entering you should remove your shoes and have your head covered (police hat), as a sign of respect.

* If avoidable, try to ensure that your visit does not conflict with a special or significant day in the Sikh calendar.

* If you are offered any food or drink at a Sikh home or in a Gurdwara, it could cause offence if you refuse to accept without good cause. Always accept a little, so as not to offend.

* A Sikh woman may feel more comfortable if she is spoken to in the presence of a member of her family. If you are asked to sit down in the Gurdwara it is extremely bad manners to put your feet out in front of you, in the direction of the holy book. Try to sit on your legs, point them in a different direction, or cross them.

* When dealing with a sudden death amongst Sikhs, there are no particular issues. Sikhs will always want cremation, unless it is an extremely young child. They have no religious objections to post-mortems, as they believe that the only sacred part after death is the soul and that the body can be discarded.

* If a Sikh is in custody for any reason, then it is our duty, within the codes of practice of the Police and Criminal Evidence Act, to meet their religious requirements and dietary needs, wherever possible.

* If it is necessary for whatever reason to search a Sikh wearing a turban, there are some simple rules that can make the situation bearable for all concerned. The first being the need to check the turban. If you do, then make sure that your hands are clean and that the Sikh knows that. Secondly, take the Sikh somewhere private, as it is very insulting to remove a turban in public. Thirdly, store or place the turban in a clean place whilst searching, or, if you intend to keep it. Finally, provide the Sikh with some suitable head cover whilst you have the turban.

* There is sometimes a reluctance to disclose full names, as a form of rejection of the caste system and not as a means to avoid identification. A subtle and sensitive approach will usually overcome this barrier.

I got stopped by the police in the morning because they thought I was drunk, I

lolllllllllll

how come??? were u walking funny?

hahaha hardeep LOOOL

nah he was drunk on naam! hardeeps a chardikala singh man

oooooops lolllll

aww thats gd to hear

pray.gif

Guest Hardeep_S_Khalsa

Well I was coming back from the gurdwhara, had keertan on in the car innit. Also there were loads of holes in the road, I was tired at the time, so i just drove on the opposite side of the road innit because that side was smooth. There were no cars obviously coming on the other side and all that timei was driving on the opposite side, there was a police car behind, but I did'nt realise. So i got out of the car, he took my reg down and he said to me i thought u were drunk. I said I dont drink, then he said I can see that. Because he seen my kirpan.

Then he asked me what I was doing wrong, i told him look the roads arent suitable to drive on and he then gave me a lecture on how I aggeratedly drove on the other side and how its dangerous.