Anand karaj

chamkila

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

Do you think people with hair cuts (not sikhs) should be allowed to have Anand karaj, I have been to a few Sikh weddings where the person getting married would keep his beard and look like a sikh have a Kirpan in his hand once the Anand karaj are done he would take his turban of and shave his beard and look like some other person with a bottle in his hand drinking away I have been to a few wedding like this.

I my view only people who have taken Amrit should be allowed to take Anand karaj.

So what do you guys think ?

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes chamkila paaji there are many weddings like this...i was once watching the TLC channel and it was the show called "A Wedding story" where an american guy got married to a punjabi ("sikh") girl. First they had anand karaj in the Gurdwara (which is why i was watching it coz the Gurdwara was too beautiful...i dunno which one though) and this guy had grown a beard and wore a red turban for the occassion. Next thing they show him trimmimg off his beard and keeping a goti (also called french beard...i tried it couple of times...i look more than stupid in it...that reminds me...french = :wub: @)...and going to the church, as their marriage was conducted as per both Sikh and Christian ceremonies. As far as whether monay shud be allowed to marry in Gurdwaras is concerned, i really dunno what to say :( . That way we can start arguing if monay shud be allowed to enter Gurdwara or not ;). But yes, i'd let the sangat answer this ^_^

I remember once I was talking to my mum about this and she said that when my Grandmum got married both my grandparents had to take Amrit before the Anand karaj, my mum said they started to stop this because they were less people willing to take Amrit. Not Sure how true this is but its what I heard.

That is tottaly undermining the real purpose of Amrit by forcing Amrit on someone. Taking Amrit should arise from the inside, not be forced upon someone because they have to take it to get married. That makes Amrit nothing more than a ritual performed. That is the case you see Amritdharis drinking and smoking because they were either told to take Amrit or it was Forced upon them. yes one might say that if one takes amrit their life will change, it can but the chance is like 1 in a hundred....what of the 99 so called sikhs who didn't want to take amrit but were forced to and break Rehat everyday. Is it worth it to force it upon them to get one true sikh out of them?? If so remember it will be those 99 Sikhs that will sikhism a bad name, because they will be out drinking with appearence of a Sikh.

As for "monas" not being able to get married in front of the Guru ji. Why?? Is it because they are not sikhs, if that is the case why just marriage, as Rochak veer said, put a banner outside of every gurudwara saying No Monas allowed. That way the Gurudwara will be only for Sikhs ie:Amritdhari Sikhs then this type of issue will not arise. rolleyes.gif

Look Beyond the Outer appearence....if ONE Sikh can see his Guru in the Enemy then why can't you see the same Guru in your Fellow Sikh who even goes to the Gurudwara and sings along with you the bani of the Guru. It seem there is more hatred toward Monas then there is toward the real enemy. The reality is that a Mona could have more faith and love

towards the Guru than an Amritdhari because their head gets bigger everyday because they have taken Amrit. Why do most look down upon the MOnas? Are you better, if so then why are they so stuck on the this Holier than tho approach? Are you not better than that, where is the Humblessness an Amritdhari Sikh should have towards EVERYONE not just a Fellow Amritdhari Sikh.

I am not saying one shouldn't take Amrit, but remember that Mona that you look down upon will be an Amritdhari one day and then you'll be regretting saying something bad about them.

*when i say 'you' i don't mean anyone specific, just those who do act like that*

In the old days they would not allow 2 individuals to get married at Gurdwaras if they were not amritdhari.

That is tottaly undermining the real purpose of Amrit by forcing Amrit on someone.
They did not force anyone, it was your choice - if you wanted to get married in a Gurdwara you had to take amrit or else you were free to go get married in any other method outside the Gurdwara.

The reason they stopped this is the same reason many of our ceremonies have changed. That reason is we are becoming more moderate and changing our religion. Where some things can change, others should be left the same way they were started by the Guru.

As for "monas" not being able to get married in front of the Guru ji. Why?? Is it because they are not sikhs, if that is the case why just marriage, as Rochak veer said, put a banner outside of every gurudwara saying No Monas allowed.

There is a difference. Anyone from any religion or lifestyle is allowed to enter the Guru's darbar and sit in sangat. But not everyone is allowed to get married in the Guru's Darbar.

If it is OK for a mona to get married in Guru Ji's presence, then why do mona guys grow their beard fo

r the wedding day...why not just come clean shaven for the wedding. Why tie a Turban for that day?

Or if we use the argument that if a mona can come and sit in the sangat, then why can't he get married in sangat...Then if they are going to wear a turban on their wedding day...why not just wear it every time you come to the gurdwara.

they gotta grow a beard cause otherwise they would look like johnny lever with a pagh and no beard or mustache, it is also a punjabi cultural thing, no one that is clena shaven wears a pagh it just looks stupid ;) .......i think banning monas is a little harsh, jeez i mean people may not be ready to take amrit but at least they respect guru Granth Sahib Ji enough to feel that their wedding is not official until it is performed in front of Guru Granth Sahib.....Do not make amrit an indicator of the love for guru Granth Sahib, taking amrit is like a marriage with the Guru, it is hard enough to get married to a nagging whining punjaban, i mean if it was really that easy to take amrit then many people would be amritdhari, i belive that many people do not respect the significance of amrit and that is why we have so many babas doing gund in the world especially in gurdwaras. Amrit is very sacred and special to a sikh, when has to live by gurmat and not manmat, getting married to a girl is not very difficult in terms of changing minor behaviors, but taking marit is a bigger challenge which takes time, longer for others than some. Being ready to get married cannot and should not imply being ready to take amrit...just not logical.

sorry for anythin wrongly said by me.....jus my views a maha manmukh

having read a load of rehatnamas i got the overall impression from all of them that only gursikhs are to have the anand karaj ceremony. there are a number of rehatnamas saying never EVER EVER give your daughter/son to a MONNAH, it is like taking poison? something like that.....even after reading prem surag granth (super super bahman-ised wedding ceremony) it is still said both must be amritdhari. it even says the wife and hubby shud take khanda de pahul together (thats a fact for all u pro kirpan amrit nihangs out there ;) )

i dont think a monnah can stand before the SGGS for their marraige because SGGS says follow the gurus teachings, do not be an apostate, and gurus say take amrit, one without the guru (ie one not blessed with deekhya) is destined for kumbhi ohmy.gif

i have no problems with a monnah getting married in a church, mosque, synagogue, or wherever else - if they arent following the primary rehat (take amrit) then why worry about lil things?

they gotta grow a beard cause otherwise they would look like johnny lever with a pagh and no beard or mustache, it is also a punjabi cultural thing, no one that is clena shaven wears a pagh it just looks stupid ;) .......i think banning monas is a little harsh, jeez i mean people may not be ready to take amrit but at least they respect guru Granth Sahib Ji enough to feel that their wedding is not official until it is performed in front of Guru Granth Sahib.....Do not make amrit an indicator of the love for guru Granth Sahib, taking amrit is like a marriage with the Guru, it is hard enough to get married to a nagging whining punjaban, i mean if it was really that easy to take amrit then many people would be amritdhari, i belive that many people do not respect the significance of amrit and that is why we have so many babas doing gund in the world especially in gurdwaras. Amrit is very sacred and special to a sikh, when has to live by gurmat and not manmat, getting married to a girl is not very difficult in terms of changing minor behaviors, but taking marit is a bigger challenge which takes time, longer for others than some. Being ready to get married cannot and should not imply being ready to take amrit...just not logical.

sorry for anythin wrongly said by

me.....jus my views a maha manmukh

WEll most Moneh MArry Goey Kale anyway..

so in the end they Marry in the Gurdwara and the CHRUCH

faida rolleyes.gif

bhull chukk maaaf

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

I beleive this was one of the other changes of gurmukh singh musafir but I may be mistaken. I know in the early part of last century only amritdharis were allowed to do anand karaj as it had been since the time of the first anand karaj.

Why dont you read the meaning of the lava? Why do we walk around guru sahib doing parkarma? why dont we have vows like every other religion?

We do have vows, except the husband and wife arent making vows to each other, no siree.. they are making a vow that they will revolve their lives AROUND guru granth sahib (thus going around guru granth sahib) and in each of the lava they commit to lead a gursikh life and work together towards mukhti and being better sikhs and human beings.

How can a mona/non amritdhari ever do this in good conscience? they are making a fake promise to guru sahib which they have no intention of keeping, if anythign this makes them worse in my eyes than they were before because now they just made a promise which they wont keep and they dont even have any idea they did!

ignorance is bliss isnt it?