Caste

Guest #drowning Kaur#

Sikhism doesnt believe in castes. If you want the pure Sikh religious perspective then no Sikh should enforce themselves to marry someone of the same caste. But answer to your questions of any afghan Sikh castes. well to my knowledge I know of only two.

1. Khatri

2. Kabuli

Theres a few afghan pathans are Sikhs also. There maybe more castes but I dont know about them.

I think they are from Khatri backgrounds (I do NOT believe in caste btw). Apparently they controlled most of the cloth trade there. Most of the burqas the women had to wear under the taliban was supplied by them, the crafty sods.

They don't speak Panjabi very well.

Dubai is filled with Afghani Sikhs. I've seen many myself. You can easily distinguish them my their skin complexion as its really fair, like reddish almost, and some have cat eyes as well (billee akh...lol). Their turban style is as though the dastaar is like sticking to their heads, so small and tight (not all of them though). They come to the Gurdwara and matha tek daily, usually they don't take Amrit, and a large majority of them can't live without eating meat.

- as told to me by a Singh I know personally from Dubai

i met 2 sikhs from afghan and they speak panjabi perfectly well, but i couldnt understand them completely cos of their accent. even panjabis from pakistan speak wiv an accent/twang that makes you think they are saying something else, when actualy they are using the same words . even in haryana where panjabi used to be spoken, they speak , what some of my relatives have described as " jaangli" .

Dubai is filled with Afghani Sikhs. I've seen many myself. You can easily distinguish them my their skin complexion as its really fair, like reddish almost, and some have cat eyes as well (billee akh...lol). Their turban style is as though the dastaar is like sticking to their heads, so small and tight (not all of them though). They come to the Gurdwara and matha tek daily, usually they don't take Amrit, and a large majority of them can't live without eating meat.

- as told to me by a Singh I know personally from Dubai

The ones I've met are really fastidious in doing their paath.

WJKK WJKF

I assume the situation with Afghani Sikhs is similar to Kashmiri Sikhs..... the Caste system was absent from our communities for a long time. My mother for example didn't even know what caste was until she arrived in Canada and was asked by someone at a Gurdwara.

They asked her, what are you? and she kept replying Sikh... and finally they grew frustrated and asked what caste, and she responded that she knew of no such thing. However, it seems that the case is that punjabis especially will often try to classify others into a caste. I know Sikhs in Kashmir don't classify themselves into any caste (however this might change with the influence of punjabi/indian media channels in the region). I assume Afghanis have no caste and are not aware of how they would be classified, so lets avoid giving them one and allow this healthy trend within particular Sikh communities without caste to continue.

WJKK WJKF

thats what everyone should be saying :D