Anti-sikh Preacher Barred From Temple

Anti-Sikh preacher barred from temple

KAREN BURKE - 23 August 2007

A PREACHER has been barred from speaking at a Hindu temple after fears he could disrupt the harmony among faiths in Redbridge.

Members of the Vishwa Hindu Parishad, Albert Road, Ilford, held an emergency meeting after they were told a man reputed to hold anti-Sikh views had been booked to speak there.

Sikhs were in communication with the temple throughout Monday, alerting members to the dangers of allowing the preacher to go ahead and members cancelled the booking, due to have taken place on Tuesday from 7pm until 10pm.

Goodmayes ward councillor Satnam Singh said the preacher, who goes by the name of Maharaj (meaning God-like) Tarlochan, had come over from India to tour the UK.

"This guy comes from India from a simple sect," said Cllr Singh.

"He booked the Hindu temple in Albert Road, but the management did not know who this guy was at the time.

"He was in Leicester for a booking last week and the Sikh and Hindu communities got together and contacted the police.

"I have not heard him speak, but he is reputed to be anti-Sikh."

Cllr Singh said a preacher, who voiced the same anti-Sikh views as Tarlochan, was shot by two young men at a gathering outside the area 10 years ago.

Tarlochan uses the dead man's name, Darshan Das - said to be his father - after his own name.

"Tarlochan is seen as divisive and we don't want him disrupting our community relations," added Cllr Singh. "He would walk away but we would carry the can."

Swarn Singh Kandola, general secretary of Sikh group Singh Sabha London East, said: "I am really happy that after all the contact, the Hindu management cancelled it. They should be congratulated."

Raj Chanan, chairman of Vishwa Hindu Parishad in Ilford, said: "I booked him because somebody came to me and said he wanted to book the hall for a spiritual discourse.

"I understand from a number of organisations that this is a disruptive man and he shouldn't preach at the temple because he would cause disharmony.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good to see some involvement from the local Gurdwara committee took. Perhaps that's why the issue was taken seriously by the Hindu committee.

There are numerous anti-panthic groups/dehdhari groups who openly tour the UK without any resistance, namely Namdharis, Radhosoamis and Nirankaris. Some even perform kirtan and katha openly on Sikh Gurdwara stages. It would be good to see these Committees also take the responsiblity of this, particularly if this is within a Gurdwara itself.

It would be good to see these Committees also take the responsiblity of this, particularly if this is within a Gurdwara itself. to quote sarbloh....

I know of committee members that are radha swami's who are on managing comiitees. what action do you expect them to take against other radha swami's. admittedly there are very few comiittees as such, but ideqally there should be none.

A PREACHER has been barred from speaking at a Hindu temple after fears he could disrupt the harmony among faiths in Redbridge.

Members of the Vishwa Hindu Parishad, Albert Road, Ilford, held an emergency meeting after they were told a man reputed to hold anti-Sikh views had been booked to speak there.

Sikhs were in communication with the temple throughout Monday, alerting members to the dangers of allowing the preacher to go ahead and members cancelled the booking, due to have taken place on Tuesday from 7pm until 10pm.

Goodmayes ward councillor Satnam Singh said the preacher, who goes by the name of Maharaj (meaning God-like) Tarlochan, had come over from India to tour the UK.

"He booked the Hindu temple in Albert Road, but the management did not know who this guy was at the time.

"He was in Leicester for a booking last week and the Sikh and Hindu communities got together and contacted the police.

Cllr Singh said a preacher, who voiced the same anti-Sikh views as Tarlochan, was shot by two young men at a gathering outside the area 10 years ago.

Tarlochan uses the dead man's name, Darshan Das - said to be his father - after his own name.

"Tarlochan is seen as divisive and we don't want him disrupting our community relations," added Cllr Singh. "He would walk away but we would carry the can."

Swarn Singh Kandola, general secretary of Sikh group Singh Sabha London East, said: "I am really happy that after all the contact, the Hindu management cancelled it. They should be congratulated."

Raj Chanan, chairman of Vishwa Hindu Parishad in Ilford, said: "I booked him because somebody came to me and said he wanted to book the hall for a spiritual discourse.

"I understand from a number of organisations that this is a disruptive man and he shouldn't preach at the temple because he would cause disharmony.

Event on 21st August in Ilford was canceled.

Event on 22nd August in Oldbury was canceled.

Not sure about event planned for today 24th August in Reading. UPDATE WOULD BE HELPFUL

Event on 25th August in Coventry has been canceled.

Not sure about event planned for Southall on 26th August. UPDATE WOULD BE HELPFUL

Event on 27th August in Leicester is believed to be canceled.

Ilford was canceled.

Not sure about event planned for today 24th August in Reading. UPDATE WOULD BE HELPFUL

Not sure about event planned for Southall on 26th August. UPDATE WOULD BE HELPFUL

Ilford was canceled.

Jagtar Singh Ji,

It is very encouraging to see an active response from local Prabhandak committees, Sikh councillors and other Sikh organisations regarding the tour of this individual.

What would be even more uplifting is to see these same Prabhandaks, Councillors and Sikh Organisations taking the same active stand against the beadbi of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Saroop within banqueting halls and hotels. Also the same kind of active stand from our leaders against the use of alcohol, meat, tobacco and dance music within Gurdwara complexes would be most appreciated. We don’t need to always wait for an anti panthic cult leader to tour the UK, there are dozens of real life issues going on at the moment where involvement from local Sikh leaders would go a long way.

Ilford was canceled.

Jagtar Singh Ji,

It is very encouraging to see an active response from local Prabhandak committees, Sikh councillors and other Sikh organisations regarding the tour of this individual.

What would be even more uplifting is to see these same Prabhandaks, Councillors and Sikh Organisations taking the same active stand against the beadbi of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Saroop within banqueting halls and hotels. Also the same kind of active stand from our leaders against the use of alcohol, meat, tobacco and dance music within Gurdwara complexes would be most appreciated. We don’t need to always wait for an anti panthic cult leader to tour the UK, there are dozens of real life issues going on at the moment where involvement from local Sikh leaders would go a long way.

TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU