Kesh

this is my understanding so if im wrong then im sorry.

the gurus wanted us to stand out and not be scared to display our faith, i.e. sikhi, right? and sri guru gobind singh ji codified this SO why do people always go on about science and hair and then somehow end up talking about nails??? i mean some sikhs say our gurus wanted us to look natural i.e. not changing our look and then get confused when somebody asks about cutting nails etc but i always thought they just didnt want us to be scared to display our faith so which is it, if this post confuses you then im sorry.

A Mughal King's daughter fell in love with a Bhramin. The Mughal King, not wanting to break his daughter's heart, wanted to convert the Bhramin to Islam - so they can do Niqqa.

Now, the Bhramin had the power of mantras, and when he was in captivity, used to recite a mantra which created a steel wall around him sot he soldiers couldnt touch him.

The Mughal King enquired the greedy Bhramins about how to get rid of his mantra's powers and they told him to cut his Kesh he will lose all his power of mantras. Either that or give him tobacco.

As well as having Spiritual power, Kesh was the symbol of a warrior. All brave warriors back in the time had long hair. This was the image of a free man.

The above argument that parji has made can be countered by:

what about having khanda hair cuts? That makes u stand out as well.. As well as having spiked up hair.

On another topic: The turban symbolises royalty. Sikhs are kings of their own destinies. The Khalsa are the rulers. Turbans are the crowns to prove this.

ok cool i get you.

Maskeen jee answers this beautifully. The hair are alive, the nails are dead. Just as we comb hair, we cut the nails that are extra long. Just as we need to get rid of dead hairs, we need to get rid off extra long nails.

Another Singh I met long ago gave an amazing answer: "If Gurujee had given hukam of keeping nails, we'd have kept nails as well". I was like "WOW! Thats shardha!"

And remember Singh ji, people are ALWAYS gonna question each and everything without having any idea of the basics. They just want to twist the brains of those who are committed. The easiest thing is to have/make excuses.

Sorry if I offended anyone

A Mughal King's daughter fell in love with a Bhramin. The Mughal King, not wanting to break his daughter's heart, wanted to convert the Bhramin to Islam - so they can do Niqqa.

Now, the Bhramin had the power of mantras, and when he was in captivity, used to recite a mantra which created a steel wall around him sot he soldiers couldnt touch him.

The Mughal King enquired the greedy Bhramins about how to get rid of his mantra's powers and they told him to cut his Kesh he will lose all his power of mantras. Either that or give him tobacco.

As per Gyani Thakur Singh jee's katha it was tobacco.

As per Gyani Thakur Singh jee's katha it was tobacco.

Yep that's where i heard it off 2.. they gave him tobacco

(I think it is in a separate katha where Bhramins were forced to cut their kesh to lose their powers)

Maskeen jee answers this beautifully. The hair are alive, the nails are dead. Just as we comb hair, we cut the nails that are extra long. Just as we need to get rid of dead hairs, we need to get rid off extra long nails.

I think combing hair cannot be compared with "cutting" nails. Cutting is a process of forcibly removing.

Just to bring up the argument. :D

Also, why do we always say that sikhs has "alag pehchan" or "different identity" when muslims with turbans look same as singhs?

Another argument. :)

I think combing hair cannot be compared with "cutting" nails. Cutting is a process of forcibly removing.

Also, why do we always say that sikhs has "alag pehchan" or "different identity" when muslims with turbans look same as singhs?

I've yet to see a Muslim with a Big Dumala

Its just us who aren't following it properly

Veerjee, dead hair is dead cells, so is the extra nails that grow out. Both are dead cells. The hairs are combed and taken out, the nails have to be cut.

Sikhs have been given "alag pehchaan" by Sahib Sri Guru Gobind Singh Jee Maharaj. Hazrat Muhammad Sahib didn't give Muslims any "alag pehchaan" as far as I know.