Interveiw With Sikh Unit

machete

2nd Interview with Sikh Unit on 9th September 2007 @ Hackney Fields estate!

Its being 2 months since your 3rd mix tape hit the streets, what impact has it had?

"Yo I think the youth loved it, from the feedback we been getting, mainly Sikhs from the poorer backgrounds and those who have seen reality and what da streets r about appreciate it. Youths that have been victims of attacks, know da deal, and understand where we r coming from. The silver-spoon Sikhs didn't like it; their reason was we glorify guns. Never have we said get a gun and rob, or commit crime wid it. But we say there's nothing wrong with defending yourself that's a natural instinct. Guru Gobind Singh Ji- glorified guns and other weapons for protection! These people live in rich areas and have never had no1 come at them with a gun; the police aren't any good they come after you have been shot, so you have to rely on yourself. I want to ask these people, the U.K and USA have nuclear power, which can indiscriminately destroy life, but have they protested!, the police forces are armed , but they lick there a** when there car gets stolen, but they send their fellow Sikh brothers hate mail and put us down, its disgusting. But allow them cos u get haters and lovers thats the dynamics of life. But I tell you something if a Sikh is climbing a ladder it will be a next Sikh man that will come and pull him off, thats how low our community has gone.

What Have U lot been up 2 since?

"We got Singhrow records coming, thats for Sikhs who r in the streets doing wrong, we want them to channel their energies threw music instead of drinking and juggling drugs etc. Singhrow has a deep meaning to it; People on deathrow are waiting to receive the death penalty due to a so called alleged crime they have committed. But singhs are on deathrow cos so many people want to kill us jus for being Sikh hence the term Singhrow. Vol4 Going to b the first album by Singhrow records, it going to b a mix tape, but we will be working with producers too. It's going to be harsh and harder, cos singhrow isn't a pretty thing, if you look at how Sikhs r slaves everywhere. We face discrimination here in the west, back home in India, I mean we are slaves on our own land; they stole it from us and kill us on there. We want Punjab back man! We as rappers have been too nice, in this album you going to see the nasty side to us, it's going to be gutter and real hardcore but informative at the same time.

To download our albums for free go to, www.shaheedi.com/sikhunitTo keep up to date: www.myspace.com/killafromsikhunit

Just let us know if you want to get involved with projects, we aren't in this game for money, or self promotion, we jus want the youth to be heard!! We got new yung rappers, as yung as 13 on upcoming projects. We will help them in anyway we can on thier albums

RIP IKY

RIP all three Lake District Singhs

RIP all the fallen Souljaz

We gonna keep reppin for u all!!

First_ever_Interveiw_with_Sikh_Unit.doc

I'm all up for musical creativity, I just wish the youth would try harder with their language acquisition and skills. I understand what they are saying but they should be more articulate in conveying the message. The use of u and blatant spelling mistakes isn't good and using famous black American Hip Hip label names is an easy way out to not use your own creativity.

But I agree with them - Sod those darn inactive closeted mamas boys in the community. Lol

this is good stuff but I hope that aswell as tackling 'soldier' issues, which is definitetly needed, they will be encouraging the proper Gursikhi way of life, taking amrit and developing a true love for Vaheguroo at the same time, not only should they be getting Sikhs to understand these problems but also on their spirtual side of life which is just as important.

There are way too many wannabes walking about thinking they know about Sikhi but probably havent even done one Jap Ji Sahib paath in their lives, shouting "khalistan zindabad" and "I'm a sikh soulja brap" lol.

But good albums, just dont forget theres two sides to sikhi. Good luck with producing more :TH:

this is good stuff but I hope that aswell as tackling 'soldier' issues, which is definitetly needed, they will be encouraging the proper Gursikhi way of life, taking amrit and developing a true love for Vaheguroo at the same time, not only should they be getting Sikhs to understand these problems but also on their spirtual side of life which is just as important.

There are way too many wannabes walking about thinking they know about Sikhi but probably havent even done one Jap Ji Sahib paath in their lives, shouting "khalistan zindabad" and "I'm a sikh soulja brap" lol.

But good albums, just dont forget theres two sides to sikhi. Good luck with producing more :TH:

i agree i think the albums are a start thoguh but on i think their flow could be abit better

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ke Fateh

What can I say, good effort but what are we trying to portray modern day kavishers?? I think the means used are wrong, could you play this in a Gurdwara? I doubt if any one Gurdwara would allow it. What we need is a means of reproducing our panjabi kavishars or dhaddi parcharks in English, and this goes some way but not far enough. I commend the work done please keep it up and don't take my comments the wrong way. We need the message to get across the youth up and down the country, we have kavishars and dhadi parcharks up and down the country and the only one listening to them are the old few folk in our Gurdwaras. What will happen one they are gone, and we are no talking too long to go either. Guru sahiban ensured three things , or three media of Sikhi parhcar and they are kirtan, katha, kavishars,dhaddi parhcar, all of these are needed in times to come.However the western sikhe world is fast sleep , I can't even count on one hand of how many English speaking dhaddi parcharks, kavishars, katha vahcaks we have abroad. Compared with the muslims who are outnumbering us in this arena , they even provide English courses paid for by the tax payer for their imams who come over from abroad , and after learning the English they do excellent parchar of the koran in English in their mosques which keeps a great influx of their youth coming in to them. Please keep up the work though as you never know when you will the tangent I'm talking about...!