What Is Naam Di Daat?

Mehtab Singh

Very good question. I think Namastang veerji has answered this before in detail, and i'm sure he'll post it again...

anyway...from what I recall listening to katha by Gyani Takhur Singh ji (perhaps sukhmani sahib), "Naam Di Daat" is what Guruji gives to the Gursikh who has attained a certain avastha after doing prema bhagati. Not sure exactly what avastha this happens at.

This "Naam Di Daat" is different from when Panj Piarey drirh Mool Mantar and Gurmantar to new Amritdharis. After Amrit sanchar, Gursikh is to do kamai on Naam by Seva Simran and Rehit.

Then comes the stage where Naam Di Daat is given by Guruji to Gursikh.Maybe in this life if Naam kamai pleases Satguru, or after more lives of seva and bhagati.

To illustrate his point, Gyani ji gave the example that a small amount of water needed to be poured down those hand water-pumps inorder for the pump to start pumping out water. Similarily, you need to do Naam di kamai in order to get Naam Di Daat.

Gyani Takhur Singh ji also mentioned that the pangati in Sukhmani sahib "kinka ek jis ji(a) basavay..." (this comes in the first astpadi btw) is referring to this "Naam Di Daat". Naam is really a "kinka".

More explanation will have to be provided by someone who's more knowledgabl.hehehe

Perhaps Naam Di Daat is the starting of the Brahmgyian stages, or perhaps the last stage of Brahmgyian. This I'm unsure on.

a presenter said the english ttranslation of Naam is not name but the closest word is Noumenon:

a noumenon or thing in itself (German Ding an sich) is an unknowable, indescribable reality that, in some way, lies "behind" observed phenomena. The etymology of the word ultimately reflects the Greek nous (mind).

The noumenon (plural: noumena) classically refers to an object of human inquiry, understanding or cognition. The term is generally used in contrast with, or in relation to, "phenomenon" (plural: phenomena), which refers to appearances, or objects of the senses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noumenon

Re: What is Naam di daat?

Posted by: kulbir singh (IP Logged)

Date: September 28, 2007 12:59PM

When we are asking Gurujee for Naam di daat, what is it exactly that we are asking for? References to what certain Gurmukh Mahapurkhs have said in this regard will be helpful in understanding this, so please bring that out or quote it, and also shed some light with your own understanding of this concept.

What is Naam di Daat? This is a wonderful question and an intricate one too. With respect to Naam let’s ponder upon the following Gur-hukams from Gurbani:

1) NAAM JAPO MERE SAAJAN SAINA||

2) NAU-NIDH AMRIT PRABH KA NAAM||

DEHI MEH ISS KA BISRAAM||

3) NAAM KE DHARE SAGLE JANT||

NAAM KE DHARE KHAND BRAHMAND||

In the first pankiti Siri Guru jee is instructing us to recite or japp Naam. Here Naam means Gurmantra that we are supposed to recite and japp. As we japp and recite this Naam, it leads us to Jyot Prakaashi roop of Naam which in essence is roop of Vaheguru himself.

In the second pankiti Guru Sahib is mentioning the Jyot-roopi Naam that is secretly present in everyone. “Dehi me iss ka bisraam” i.e. it resides in the dehi (body). People who have used hand pumps in India know that in summer when the water goes deeper in Earth, sometimes one has to pour water from outside and then pump the handpump to bring water out. Same way, Naam Gurmantr has to be japped from outside to get to the treasure of Naam right inside us.

In the third pankiti Siri Guru jee writes about Jyot-Prakashi Naam that is essentially Vaheguru himself, that pervades the whole universe and the whole universe, galaxies and creatures are sustained by this all-pervading Naam.

It is written in books of Gurmukhs like Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee that while it all starts with the first stage i.e. by reciting and chanting Naam but it leads one first to the Naam treasure right inside our body and then connects us to the all pervading Naam i.e. Vaheguru himself. Naam and Naami-Vaheguru are one and the same.

In Jail Chithiaan, Bhai Sahib has written his personal account of pleading for Naam. He kept saying to Vaheguru jee "Naam japan la de" "Naam baksh" and doing so lost consciousness and fainted right during ardaas. Such was his bairaag.

I guess Naam dee daat actually is the daat of Vaheguru himself. Naam and Naami are one and the same just like Guru and Vaheguru are the same. Guru is the form of Vaheguru and same way Naam is the energy form of Vaheguru. It's the way one can join formless Vaheguru. It's our connection with the formless Vaheguru.

The above is based on books by Gursikhs like Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee.

Daas,

Kulbir Singh

................................................................................

................................................................................

tht was from bhai kulbir singh on tapoban forum

• 4 months later...

Waheyguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheyguru Ji Key Fateh

^^^^ji Vaaheguroo = Guru = Bani = Naam ji all are one and same

In Guru Nanak Chamat-kar by Bahi Vir Singh ji...gives an example so people like me can understand. In analogy sahib gives dristan of Sun > sun's rays and Gar-me..different roops but one ..even in kirtan Sohela Guru Sahib gave example of Time ..Vis-cio Cha-seya pehra....

Well "Nam" is par-ma-ta-ma/ Akal Purkh jies Hoo-and. Hoo-and means existence. Like someone calls out your name ..someone basically hasrecognized your existence and you will confirm it by answering it. Naam takes us into Hooand of Akal Purkh ji. Bani is from is from Sunn-samadh of parmatama ji ( in Sidh Ghost) and tells us that Akala Purkh ji "Haa" the saroop that conforms( ja-naan-the) us that Akal purkh ji "Haa" is Guru saroop but formless...

I am full of av-guns so kindly forgive me for any mistake.

Waheyguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheyguru Ji Key Fateh

I am fairly new to sikhi. The question has also been of research for me. What exactly is naam.?I think no one can answer this as no one amongst us has been blessed with this. However, it is fairly clear hat Naam is the only link that we have with the Nirgun Nirankaar.He created the entire creation with Naam.

Naam de dharay sagle Jant.

and

ijnI siqguru syivAw iqnI pwieAw nwmu inDwnu ] (26-7, isrIrwgu, mÚ 3)

Those who serve the True Guru obtain the Treasure of the Naam.

But:

siqguru syvin Awpxw qy ivrly sMswir ] (26-9, isrIrwgu, mÚ 3)

Those who serve the True Guru in this world are very rare.

jyqw kIqw qyqw nwau ] (4-9, jpu, mÚ 1)

The created universe is the manifestation of Your Name.

[/size]

ivxu nwvY nwhI ko Qwau ] (4-10, jpu, mÚ 1)

Without Your Name, there is no place at all

Naam is love for the lord, naam is Bani and Naam is in the praises of the Almighty. The following tuks sum up the significance of Naam.

srb rog kw AauKdu nwmu ] (274-18, gauVI suKmnI, mÚ 5)

The Naam is the panacea, the remedy to cure all ills.

puMn dwn jp qp jyqy sB aUpir nwmu ] (401-2, Awsw, mÚ 5)

Donations to charity, meditation and penance - above all of them is the Naam.

Regarding the Daat of Naam it is showered on the one who is in the periphery of Grace of the lord.

nwmu inDwnu soeI pwey ik®pw kry pRBu soie ]3] (405-5, Awsw, mÚ 5)

He alone obtains the treasure of the Naam, the Name of the Lord, unto whom God shows His Mercy. ||3||

Thus naam is given by the almighty HImself. The guru mantra brings us close to the Naam..It is essentially a bridge that brings us close to the God/Naam.

The contemporary saints have stated the Since Bani is Nirankaar ,it is equivalent to Naam as well.

At many places in Gurbani suggests that Naam is within us. Few lucky who are blessed by The Lord HIMSELF getes to realise Naam.

Enw AMdir nwmu inDwnu hY nwmo prgtu hoie ] (17-7, isrIrwgu, mÚ 1)

The Treasure of the Naam, the Name of the Lord, is within them, and through the Naam, they are radiant and famous.

The role Of guru is summed up in the following tuk:

guru pauVI byVI gurU guru qulhw hir nwau ] (17-13, isrIrwgu, mÚ 1)

The Guru is the Ladder, the Guru is the Boat, and the Guru is the Raft to take me to the Lord's Name.

Naam can also be obtained by the constant recitation/meditation Of Bani/guru sabad .

ipru rIswlU qw imlY jw gur kw sbdu suxI ]2] (17-19, isrIrwgu, mÚ 1)

We meet with our Beloved, the Source of Joy, when we listen to the Word of the Guru's Shabad."||2||

At other places the significance of devotional worship and fear Of Lord is suggested,

dwsin dwsw hoie rhih qw pwvih scw nwau ]1] rhwau ] (564-19, vfhMsu, mÚ 3)

If you become the slave of the Lord's slaves, you shall obtain the True Name. ||1||Pause||

dwsin dwsw hoie rhih qw pwvih scw nwau ]1] rhwau ] (564-19, vfhMsu, mÚ 3)

If you become the slave of the Lord's slaves, you shall obtain the True Name. ||1||Pause||

In essence There is Need Of Guru[sggs ji], devotional worship and fear of GOD. All this is to be accompanied with the absence of the aume and total control of the Panj chor and the adoption of a pure/truthful life that leads us to 4th Pad,turia awastha.

However,

ijs kY krim iliKAw Duir krqY nwnk jn ky pUrn kwm ]2]20]51] (683-3, DnwsrI, mÚ 5)

That humble servant of the Lord, who has such karma pre-ordained by the Creator Lord, O Nanak - his efforts are brought to perfect fruition. ||2||20||51||

I have replied as per my little knowledge that is purely theoretical.

But as per Bani again :

BieE AnugRhu jw kau pRB ko iqsu ihrdY nwmu vswieAw ] (712-16, tofI, mÚ 5)

But when God shows His Mercy and Grace, He implants the Naam, the Name of the Lord, within the heart.

I am sorry as I could not present my answer in a proper fashion. Some other member can sum up better.