Chandi Matta Da Jhatka

singh1986

At a Sikh society a girl who follows the "sanatan path" was explaining to me why sikhs should eat meat (I respected her veiws) but then she claimed to do Matta Da Jhatka which is women being allowed to pluck and shave hair aslong as they dont touch the hair on their heads...apparently its a common pratice amoungst females belonging to Buddha Dal etc family. I was wondering wether this is just a practice amoungst the Budha Dal peeps in UK (who do alot of things Buddha Dal India wouldnt be happy with) or its actually generally accepted?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At a Sikh society a girl who follows the "sanatan path" was explaining to me why sikhs should eat meat (I respected her veiws) but then she claimed to do Matta Da Jhatka which is women being allowed to pluck and shave hair aslong as they dont touch the hair on their heads...apparently its a common pratice amoungst females belonging to Buddha Dal etc family. I was wondering wether this is just a practice amoungst the Budha Dal peeps in UK (who do alot of things Buddha Dal India wouldnt be happy with) or its actually generally accepted?

yeah my mami told me that i could remove the hair on my face as long as i didnt wax or cut or shave but if i use face hari removing cream its was "okay" :)

who is saying that these things are "okay"..............

i was like oooooooooooooooooooookaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay blink.gif

ppl just thick man...................... :nihungsmile:

dont get me wrong im all up for liberal thinking an all that Jazz but rehit is rehit man........u just cant compromise that.....................if u dont wanna keep it then thats ur pegorative but dont encougare others to remove ANY form of kesh from the body man.......(me saying this in general and the comments are NOT aimed at anyone)

............ well actually the comment was aimed at my mami but shes scary so im saying it here blush.gif

According to Sikhism and the Rehat Maryada a man and woman are not allowed to pluck any hair from their body.

Now me personally, what is the problem with a woman not wanting hair on her face? It is unnatural for a woman to have hair on her face. Guruji asked for men to come with unshorn hair and untrimmed beards. Surely it is unnatural for a woman to have a beard?

PS People should really watch thiers mouths and learn some Sikh History before criticising Nihangs. They are the pre - runner to the Khalsa and represent the finest martial traditions of Sikhism. Ok some may have lost their way (i.e. addiction to Bhang)......but losing their way could easily be applaid to AKJ, Gnssj, 3ho, mamdhari's and other Sikh sects.

According to Sikhism and the Rehat Maryada a man and woman are not allowed to pluck any hair from their body.

Now me personally, what is the problem with a woman not wanting hair on her face? It is unnatural for a woman to have hair on her face. Guruji asked for men to come with unshorn hair and untrimmed beards. Surely it is unnatural for a woman to have a beard?

plz forgive veer g if i read the above wrong, but are you calling women who have excesive facial hair "un-natural?" :)

If one cannot live up to the standards of the Gurus it is their own personal weakness, but they should not, lower those standards to justify their own weaknesses.We all have weaknesses after all.

Saying that men are probably the biggest hypocrites when it comes to women with facial hairs. Maybe thats a weakness in men itself.

If one cannot live up to the standards of the Gurus it is their own personal weakness, but they should not, lower those standards to justify their own weaknesses.We all have weaknesses after all.

Saying that men are probably the biggest hypocrites when it comes to women with facial hairs. Maybe thats a weakness in men itself.

:WW: :WW: respect.gif

plz forgive veer g if i read the above wrong, but are you calling women who have excesive facial hair "un-natural?" :)

Let me clarify.

It really does not matter whether I think it is un-natural or not, but the perception of the person themselves. Women I know generally consider it unnatural to have hair on the face. It detracts from there sense of femininity i.e. makes them feel less of a woman, the equavalent is a man who cannot grow hair on his face (it makes him feel less of a man). Now if the man was to say opt for hormonal treatment to help hair grow on his face would a woman really have commited that much of a sin to stop hair growing on her face.

That is my thinking anyway.

End of the day this is not about beauty, as that is only skin deep. Even Guruji acknowledges that although men and women are equal we are different (hence giving Singh and Kaur), and it is this masculinity and femininity that makes us diferent. To try and blur that is playing God and hence un-natural.