Justice Vs Mercy

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Sant Baba Nand Singh Ji was a puran Brahmgyani who led such a life that till today it inspires people onto the path of Dhan Guru Nanak Dev Ji Maharaj. Baba Ji used to tell the sangat many stories. One of my favourite ones is given below:

There was once a saint who had mediated on the name of Akaal Purakh for one hundred years. This saint used to eat very little and would hardly talk. Most of his time was spent mediating and reciting from different religious scriptures. After one hundred years Akaal Purakh appeared before the saint and asked him, ‘What do you want?’

‘I want justice for my prayers. I have mediated for one hundred years while sat on this stone’, replied the saint.

Akaal Purakh then said, ‘The stone has had to bear your weight for one hundred years, now you should bear the weight of the stone for the next hundred years’.

After Akaal Purakh said this the stone was placed on the saint’s head. The saint then began to beg Akaal Purakh sincerely for forgiveness. ‘You are my everything, I don’t want justice all I want is your mercy’. As soon as these words were uttered the stone disappeared.

I know it’s a really short story but I think it has a huge moral, which we can all learn from. Could someone please post what they think the moral is/and what they learnt from the sakhi?

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

could it be:

-that we should do meditation with as much pyarr and sharda as possible, and shouldnt ask for justice? should just ask for guruji's mercy, support?

or could it be that a tiny bit of ego came into the saints mind cus he said i want justice for soo many yrs i meditated etc... therefore hamoui got over him?

moral: do everything with pyaar and sharda, renounce ur ego:

kir bMidgI Cwif mY myrw ]

kar ba(n)dhigee shhaadd mai maeraa ||

Meditate on the Lord, and renounce your egotism and self-conceit.

??? ????

vjkk vjkf

I've heard this story too. Its the difference between asking for "phall" and begging for "bakshish". "Phall" is where you are basically asking for a "payback" for whatever bhagti you think you've done. Bakshish is a blessing that Akal Purkh bestows on us, and it could be of any magnitude, it all depends on Akal Purkh how much we are considered fit for.

This sakhi brings to mind Guru Arjan Sahib Ji's beautiful shabad

ਰਾਜੁ ਨ ਚਾਹਉ ਮੁਕਤਿ ਨ ਚਾਹਉ ਮਨਿ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਿ ਚਰਨ ਕਮਲਾਰੇ ॥

(I do not seek power, and I do not seek liberation. My mind is in love with Your Lotus Feet.)

From Ang 534

Here is the complete shabad

ਦੇਵਗੰਧਾਰੀ ੫ ॥

ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤਾ ਪ੍ਰਿਅ ਬਚਨ ਤੁਹਾਰੇ ॥

ਅਤਿ ਸੁੰਦਰ ਮਨਮੋਹਨ ਪਿਆਰੇ ਸਭਹੂ ਮਧਿ ਨਿਰਾਰੇ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥

ਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਮਹੇਸ ਸਿਧ ਮੁਨਿ ਇੰਦ੍ਰਾ ਮੋਹਿ ਠਾਕੁਰ ਹੀ ਦਰਸਾਰੇ ॥੧॥

ਦੀਨੁ ਦੁਆਰੈ ਆਇਓ ਠਾਕੁਰ ਸਰਨਿ ਪਰਿਓ ਸੰਤ ਹਾਰੇ ॥

ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਮਿਲੇ ਮਨੋਹਰ ਮਨੁ ਸੀਤਲ ਬਿਗਸਾਰੇ ॥੨॥੩॥੨੯॥

dhaevaga(n)dhhaaree 5 ||

a(n)mrithaa pria bachan thuhaarae ||

ath su(n)dhar manamohan piaarae sabhehoo madhh niraarae ||1|| rehaao ||

raaj n chaaho mukath n chaaho man preeth charan kamalaarae ||

breham mehaes sidhh mun ei(n)dhraa mohi t(h)aakur hee dharasaarae ||1||

dheen dhuaarai aaeiou t(h)aakur saran pariou sa(n)th haarae ||

kahu naanak prabh milae manohar man seethal bigasaarae ||2||3||29||

Dayv-Gandhaaree, Fifth Mehla:

O Beloved, Your Words are Ambrosial Nectar.

O supremely beautiful Enticer, O Beloved, You are among all, and yet distinct from all. ||1||Pause||

I do not seek power, and I do not seek liberation. My mind is in love with Your Lotus Feet.

Brahma, Shiva, the Siddhas, the silent sages and Indra - I seek only the Blessed Vision of my Lord and Master's Darshan. ||1||

I have come, helpless, to Your Door, O Lord Master; I am exhausted - I seek the Sanctuary of the Saints.

Says Nanak, I have met my Enticing Lord God; my mind is cooled and soothed - it blossoms forth in joy. ||2||3||29||

Gurfateh !

Freed

This sakhi brings to mind Guru Arjan Sahib Ji's beautiful shabad

(I do not seek power, and I do not seek liberation. My mind is in love with Your Lotus Feet.)

From Ang 534

where most of us possibly fall down is we expect a return on our investment (bhagti). i suppose without thirst no one feels the real need for drinking water, question is are we sincerely thirsty or just drinking the water because we expect something more tasty at the end!

A bartering mentality, all too common, rolleyes.gif I have done x and expect x back in return. Reminds me of another story I heard it many moons ago basically goes like this,

A man leaves body and his soul is greeted by angels on the way to heavenly places he is taken up what appears to be never ending grand staircase. On the sides of this grand staircase there appears to be thousands and thousands of statues of what seems to be normal looking people. Eventually out of curiosity the man asks one of his guides about the statues, the angel replies

“These are those that found it befitting to place their names etched in stone in holy places, like trophies of their charity for the world to see, ultimately suffering a fate befitting their mentality!!”

The moral of the story!?

Don’t announce how much you have given to the building fund! After your Akhand Parth’!! :nihungsmile:

Getting Ardas done after graduating from college/university, getting a new job, or passing the driving license test is common, but in Dubai I have heard someone who got an Ardas done after he purchased a new camera. You can just imagine the Granthi Singh doing Ardas "Bhai "Falanna" Singh ji nawa camera lain di khushi vich Ardas karaunde ne", and then mentioned the amount of money offered which I forgot.

Getting Ardas done after graduating from college/university, getting a new job, or passing the driving license test is common, but in Dubai I have heard someone who got an Ardas done after he purchased a new camera. You can just imagine the Granthi Singh doing Ardas "Bhai "Falanna" Singh ji nawa camera lain di khushi vich Ardas karaunde ne", and then mentioned the amount of money offered which I forgot.

:) i remember at someones wedding granthi ji sed, so and so gave £1 di seva i was like ohmy.gif o..k then, rolleyes.gif