True Meaning Of The Term Amritdhaaree And Non-amritdhaarees

Akaali

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh

jio ive read some inspirational responses and heres are my two cents worth...........apologies if im repeating anything that has already been mentioned............

First of all.......wot exactly is an amritdhari? in my pathetic mind, an amritdhari is a person who has been bapised as a sikh of Guru Jee, that although is a very important step, however it is no more or no less than all the other things we need to implement into our lives to turly be called a Gur ka Sikh.....

I heard this on a lovely audio shabd so ill share: -

Imagine an artist..................he is about to paint a masterpeice...........for that he needs tools, equipment, time, etc etc...................without any of these his picture will not be able completed..........once he has these tools and is ready to paint his masterpiece...........he has to have a passion for the art itself bcos nothing in this life can be achieved without the pyaar and shardah in the task u are going to undertake

now again this is only my interpretation so bhul chuck maafi for my rambling.........

a sikh is like the artist in the senario and the canvas and equipment we need to produce the masterpiece (the masterpiece ibeing merging with waheguru) we need to know wexactly how to use our tools and equipment and contrain that to only how much we need............amrit, naam japping, rehit as the tools that were giving to us to help us paint our jeevans with wahegurus names, if any point we dont use one of our tools our jeevan is incomplete........or some may say that the picture will not be completed to best it could be bcos the artist lacked the right equipment to produce his portait..........

When painting the picture the artist mind has to be focus on what it is he wants to produce and when focus his mind on that, he has all the right tools to aid and assist him for his masterpeice to be the finest it can possibly be...................Just like a Gur Ka Sikh needs more than just amrit to fully devote himself to waheguru and turn his jeevan into waheguru's masterpiece

KIRPA is also a very big part of this and in our senario the raw talent the artist has to paint is masterpeice is the gift that waheguru gave him.................Thirst for wanting to follow the life our Guru's inspired us to lead is that gift from waheguru himself......................and we need to build on that to turn our jeevans into the masterpeice waheguru wants us to be............

erm..........yeah thats it realy..........sorry if i sound confusing so i just start typing and my brain thinks faster than i type blush.gif

bhul chuck di maafi and again thanks for all the fantastic responses :)

Vaheguroo Jee Ka Khalsaa! Vaheguroo Jee Ki Fatheh!

^^^Awesome analogy!

My 2 pence worth:

1. Amrit, Naam and Gurbani would be the three most important tools of the painter. Without anyone of these, the masterpiece cannot be created.

Gurbani is essentially food for the soul. Without this, our souls would be reduced to nothing. From Gurbani, we come to know of Naam, the qualities of Naam and the benefits of Japping Naam.

Naam is like that cement which can bond us with Vaheguroo permanently. But of course the correct materials and consistency is needed to firstly make it, and then for it to bond well. Simply by reading Gurbani we cannot say that we know how to make this. We can try, but it won't be of the right consistency, so the bond will not be permanent.

So where can we obtain this Naam, this Priceless Jewel? Guru Sahib being Dyaal has said:

ਜਉ ਤਉ ਪ੍ਰੇਮ ਖੇਲਣ ਕਾ ਚਾਉ ॥

Ja­o ṯa­o parėm kẖėlaṇ kā cẖā­o.

If you desire to play this game of love with Me,

ਸਿਰੁ ਧਰਿ ਤਲੀ ਗਲੀ ਮੇਰੀ ਆਉ ॥

Sir ḏẖar ṯalī galī mėrī ā­o.

then step onto My Path with your head in hand.

Panaa 1412

And so when we do this trade, it’s done with Amrit, and with Amrit we receive Naam. We commit to giving everything to Guru Sahib, and in return we receive the gift of Amrit. Only through Amrit bestowed by Guru Roop Panj Piaare can we receive Naam. This Naam is perfect in everyway; all that is needed thereafter is for us to apply it, and to build on making that bond with Vaheguroo everlasting.

2. The different coloured paint the painter uses for this masterpiece are the Virtues of Vaheguroo. These Virtues can only be painted and layered onto the canvas (soul) through a paint brush, which is essentially Naam. These Virtues, once painted onto our souls are admired, just like the painting.

3. For the painter to improve his technique, he will need to practice and practice with pyaar, determination and the mindset to improve. The benefits of Naam and Gurbani are the same, the more we do with pyaar, with full belief, the greater our Jeevans become. Guru Sahib’s Kirpaa also increases with the effort we put in.

Guru Sahib's Sikhi is Perfect, ALL the flaws are within us.

Bhul chukh maafi.

Vaheguroo Jee Ka Khalsaa! Vaheguroo Jee Ki Fatheh!

taking Amrit should not put u on the path to sikhi... that path should be started a long time before that... Amrit isn't just something u 'jump into' one day... the process to taking amrit should be dun with a lot of prem and sharda and it can take a long time for some people...

umm

no

some people take amrit out of nowhere

people who drank and cut their hair had changed overnight and took amrit

it doesnt necessarily have to be a long process

yes the more kamaee u do before amrit, with guru jees kirpa, the more effect/benefits you will receive after amrit

but amrit is the key factor

amrit most definately can be something you jump into one day as long as you keep all the rehit and bani and naam afterwards

however for some people preparation is needed to maintain this rehit and naam and bani after amrit

agreed, the process CAN start on that very day... buh very rare are those gems who can completely turn their life around and get on the path of Gursikhi with full prem and sharda in one day; and also CONTINUE and PROGRESS on it...

the majority of people (at least those that i've seen) have just 'jumped' into takin amrit because everybody around them is takin it, and they might feel pressured to do it due to outside influences... most people that fall into this category end up either breakin their amrit or not keeping it/maintaining it...

• 2 weeks later...
agreed, the process CAN start on that very day... buh very rare are those gems who can completely turn their life around and get on the path of Gursikhi with full prem and sharda in one day; and also CONTINUE and PROGRESS on it...

the majority of people (at least those that i've seen) have just 'jumped' into takin amrit because everybody around them is takin it, and they might feel pressured to do it due to outside influences... most people that fall into this category end up either breakin their amrit or not keeping it/maintaining it...

I sorta just fet the urge to take it, and then the need to take it - it wasn't planned. But I was NOT PUSHED INTO IT.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

Thoughts of a Singh I received in a different context/discussion, but relevant to this topic:

... an interesting question came up about who is a Sikh. I thought I would share my views with all of you.

The Sikh Rehat Maryada begins by defining a Sikh ‘A Sikh is any person who believes in the Akal Purakh, in the ten Gurus (Guru Nanak to Guru Gobind Singh), in the Sri Guru Granth Sahib, other writings of the ten Gurus, and their teaching, in the Khalsa initiations ceremony instituted by the tenth Guru, and does not believe in any other system of religious doctrine’.

The wording has obviously been chosen with great care and although it is certainly saying that the Khalsa form should be the standard version of the Sikh identity, it does not yet disqualify those who are outside the Khalsa. One is required to ‘believe in’ ( jo….nisacha rakhda) the need to take Amrit.

The point I am making here is that although a devout Sikh will certainly be expected to take Amrit and assume the full range of Khalsa obligation, the essential requirement is that one should affirm the value of doing so…………………

Waheguroo