Itchy Scalp

Guest G.Kaur

Big Tera,

I've been washing my hair everyday for the last 2 weeks and nothing has changed. The dandruff, the itching and the hair loss is still the same :lol:

The dandruff I have is concentrated on my scalp and never really falls out of my hair like you see on the dandruff commercials (Head & Shoulders commercials). My dandruff makes my scalp look very very dry.

I'm going to see the dermatologist in 2 weeks to be tested for eczema.

I washed my hair with yogurt, it didn't help with my above mentioned problems but it made my hair very soft. So for those of you out there who have dry hair I would recommend washing your hair with yogurt.

G.Kaur,

opps i didnt see this post.

sorry to see that it didnt work. i guess your condition might be different to mine. and everyones scalp/hair is different.

i posted some advice in my previous post. maybe you could try that. and see if the itching/dandruff/hair loss stops. hopefully it will. i would also reccomend not blow drying your hair. but becuase you obviously have long hair. its difficult to dry it with a towel, which is a better option. becuase blow drying is not good for the hair and makes it to dry and unhealthy.

if everything ive posted doesnt work. then maybe you should give the medication/lotions that your got from the dermatologist a try.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big Tera,

what does long hair necessarily have to do with dandruff? Because dandruff sits on your scalp.

I've used the medicine (betnovat) for 4 weeks and still there is no change <_<

Do you use oil after washing your hair? if it's just dandruff as your dermatologist says, then washing your kesh everyday ( only use shampoo every 4 days), letting it dry naturally or at least towel dry and using almond oil everyday will work - did for me.....

What does your diet look like, and when did the problem start?

GUrfateh Bhenji, I think i had a similar problem a while ago. The dandruff is on your scalp ( kurr jumgee) and can be picked off it is definetely very irritating and the scalp is always very itchy, if it cant be brushed off like normal dandruff then im pretty sure its the same thing i had, heres how i got rid of it.

Get someone to use a kangha or their nails and remove as much dry skin/dandruff from your scalp as they can (may take a while), they may have to use a bit of force but its the only way to get it off and its not really sore or anything.

Once a lot was off i then warmed up cocunut oil (the pride one) and had that properly masseged into my scalp, tied my hair up for about 40 mins then washed it. I noticed that if i waited about a week before washing my hair the problem had recurred. If you do this for a few weeks (repeating the process after every 3 (max 4) days) it should hopefully work. Just depends how quickly it grows back on your scalp, if it is back within two days then you may have to wash it earlier then 3-4 days.

Sorry I am pretty tired, I hope the above makes sense, PM me if you need any more info. hope it gets better soon.

Fateh

• 5 months later...
Guest G.Kaur

Update!

It's been a couple of months since I wrote in this topic so I think I should keep you updated about what has happened since last.

I tried tar shampoo and the dandruff disappeared but the itching did not. I was recommended a shampoo called Alphosyl Shampoo 2 in 1. I think I'm allergic to the tar shampoo because my body had an allergic reaction to it. It displayed itself on my body by red markings everywhere on my body and itching on my arms and legs.

I have finally found a private hair clinic that has been able to help me. I been going for treatment for 2½ months and it has helped me immensely. The products they use are based solely on plants extracts. The product is liquid based and you apply it in ur hair and leave it for 8-10 hours. And then you wash your hair with the shampoo also provided by the clinic.

I can see a remarkable difference with my hair now.

When you have this affliction you have to be careful of what you eat. Soda drinks, candy, sugar, tomatoes, oranges are main negatives because food that are rich in sugar or are acidic tend to worsen ones condition.

Lastly I'd like to say that for those of you who see yourself with this condition I highly recommend you seek help from a private clinic if all else fails.

G.Kaur,

I am very pleased that your scalp has been satisfactorily sorted out. As a doctor, there are a couple of points I'd like to mention in relation to what I have read.

Firstly dandruff and traction alopecia are common in patients with tight kes. This is multifactorial, and can only be commented upon on individual basis.

Follow your primary care physicians advice and set a time-line for treatment review with the idea that if the suggested treatment has failed, to move onto something else, including referral if that is what's required. Try not to see different doctors (without the referral from your own doctor), as your continuity of treatment will suffer and this often results in dead-ends and patient dissatisfaction.

For those that need to moisturise the scalp, use non-perfumed, non-detergent based emolliants such a Aqueous Cream, massaged into the scalp and then washed out.

Lastly please be careful about private clinics that do not use fully registered medical practiotioners. I am glad that the plant extracts worked and that time too may have played a role (?), after all resolution and patient satisfaction is the most desired outcome. But I am very concerned about the dietry reccommendations. A lot of places will claim that you should avoid x,y and z. Food intolerance is a serious diagnosis and has a profound affect upon what you can eat, potentially knocking out healthy options and restricting your diet for no reason. It is in reality a rare condition. Please ask the clinic to provide you with the evidence of their reccommendations, and ask your own doctor if he could review this or recommend someone else who can (this service is a non-NHS service and you are likely to be charged for it).

All the best,

Penji, i used to have a similar problem to you...its still around but not as strong.

using baby shampoo and putting a bit of thel in after while my kes was still wet helped,and i washed it every other day. baby shampoos quite neutral too,and if doesnt hurt when u get it in your eyes :D

Guest G.Kaur

Jangal Da, thanks for your reply.

I don't see my doctor. He has admitted to not knowing the cause of my ailment and has furthermore given up on trying to find a treatment that would cure me of my condition.

You don't have to worry I have enormous faith in this particular clinic. Up until now I have witnessed that their every recommendation and advice has been accurate. To mention a few things, the removal of sugary food from my diet has worked wonders and so has the recommendation of adding more proteins to my diet (because I'm vegetarian I don't eat enough proteins).