Talent Show Winner Becomes 'sikh Idol'

nanosecond

Talent show winner becomes 'Sikh idol'

By Jaideep Sarin

Ludhiana, Nov 26 (IANS): In the end, nothing came in his way -- not even his being a turbaned Sikh and still taking a shot at a national singing contest. Punjab's industrial city of Ludhiana broke into celebrations after local boy Ishmeet Singh was announced winner of Star TV's "Voice of India" contest at a glittering ceremony in Mumbai.

The 18-year-old has suddenly been catapulted into a 'Sikh idol' and Sikh religious leaders are already pointing out that one does not need a trendy hairstyle to succeed.

The announcement of Ishmeet's name as the winner of the singing contest could not have come on a better day -- it was Gurpurab Saturday, the most auspicious day in the Sikh religious calendar, the birth anniversary of Sikhism's founder Guru Nanak Dev.

From Calgary in Canada to Christchurch in New Zealand, websites and blogs are flooded with congratulatory messages for the "Punjab da puttar" (son of Punjab).

However, there have been some nasty comments given the fact that Ishmeet pipped his competitor Harshit from Lucknow to the title due to millions of votes from Punjab after trailing in all other regions of the country -- east, west and south -- during voting for the contest.

"The phones at our residence have not stopped ringing. We are flooded with SMSes too," Ishmeet's uncle Charan Kamal Singh said.

Ishmeet's parents were in Mumbai at the event when he was declared winner by singing legend Lata Mangeshkar in the presence Madhuri Dixit and several other celebrities.

But it is not his singing alone that matters now. Sikh religious leaders are eager to cash in on his success and there is already talk that he will be honoured at the Akal Takht -- the highest temporal seat of the Sikhs located inside the Golden Temple complex in the holy city of Amritsar -- on Dec 2.

Avtar Singh Makkar, president of the Shiromani Gurudwara Prabandhak Committee, who had only a fortnight ago asked Sikhs and Punjabis to vote for Ishmeet, has described him as "a Sikh role model".

Ishmeet's father Gurpinder Singh said: "He has become a star. He has done all Punjabis proud. They needed a role model in present times when young Sikh boys and girls think that getting their hair cut is their ticket to stardom. He has proved them wrong."

Sikh men, as per religious custom, have to sport a beard and long hair that is kept tied under a turban. Even Sikh women are not allowed to cut their hair. Some Sikh boys and girls, however, get their hair cut these days.

Ishmeet's family has been getting calls from people across India , the US , Britain and Canada , seeking to engage Ishmeet as brand ambassador for their ventures. Most of the callers are either NRI Sikhs or Punjabis.

Besides the goodies, including a Chevrolet car, Ishmeet has bagged a two-year singing contract with Big Music.

The Sikh community sees Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, whose family settled in Amritsar after India 's partition in August 1947, as a role model too.

Grasim Mr. India 2002 contest winner Jaspal Singh Sehgal proved that the Sikh turban and beard is no hindrance to success.

But Indian off-spinner Harbhajan Singh, who sports long hair and beard like other Sikhs, got into a controversy two years ago when he wore his hair in a ponytail and walked the ramp with models and cricketers.

He also appeared with his ponytail in a commercial for a whisky brand, which got him into a confrontation with Sikh religious heads. The matter ended with Harbhajan sending an apology.

I respect the fact that Ishmeet has a turban, unshorn kes and he represnted the sikh identity BUT there were better singers on the show. He has won because of the votes he got from Punjab. He is good but he wasn't the best for me atleast.

He has a two year contract with some music label now. Lets hope he doesn't go around dancing with half naked women in music videos.

Regarding the BS going on some news website that the voting was rigid and he won because of punjab.. Well.. Who care.. The system is, who gets most of the votes will win.. So he did no matter whether his voice is good or not.. whether its punjab or bengal.. Winning but not with his voice is not his problem but of the tv station/network who has such rules of voting. All these ppls are just showing their negativity because a turban wearing guy won.. We know how ppl of punjab thinks of turban wearing guy.. - Uncool, old fashioned, joke etc.. Well its showing the face of the young generation.

In society there are always cultural events such as this.. so pls don't play religious card here, though not related to punjab culture but we should appreciate him doing all of this along with keeping his identity. He is quite young i think..

It was a singing competetion and not a display of the religeous values. Though I admire the young boys determination and courage to nt compromise on his true core values ...but it the end we are deleting the purpose of the contest i.e to bring out good singers.

Because he keeps his religon intact should not lead to some one else's hard work in vain and especianlly in something in as pure as music.

But none the less the boy is very very young and can now take a serious learning curve towards better singing.....then he will be the voice of Punjab /Sinhs in true sense.

He definately has to prove his mettle.

Best of luck to him.

fateh

i disagree with people who say that he shouldn't be seen as a role model..

i'm not saying that he's a saint or not...i don't know anything about him

but i've been to punjab...hardly anyone keeps their kesh there these days and most are cut surds...all they see is people without kes getting in the limelight all the time...

this will be good for young boys to see that "yeah...i CAN actually follow my guru's teachings and nothing can stop me from being successful"

it's NOT the be all end all...but it's something...

i'm actually happy that these days we have Singhs succeeding in all spheres, from business to health to technology to the arts...their success should be celebrated and talked about and use to inspire our youngsters to AIM high in life...

the last couple of years talking to youth and seeing the net...the more "hardcore" singhs in general don't seem to value worldy success...the popular notion is that none of this is necessary and that all we should be doing is simran and wearing bana...

i think this is unhealthy because for any community to be influential in the world, they must be successful...even our gurus were NOT mediocre in anything they did...they were the BEST at everything they did...we should too emulate that....

when we are studying we should put ourselves into studying...and dedicate that studying to guru sahib

when we are playing sports, we should put ourselves into it and dedicate that sports in guru sahib's honour

when we are playing music, learning instruments, we should pour our souls into that and make that music become divine and in that music remember guru sahib

if our generation is to inspire others and future generations, we must be able to achieve a balance in our lives and succeed in the world, while keeping the values of our gurus intact...it's not an easy thing to do...and that is why guru sahib created sadh sangat for us...to continually be grounded and reinspired...

• 1 month later...

Gurpurb celebrated with fervour; Ishmeet’s first album out

Tribune News Service

Ludhiana, January 5

The Parkash Utsav of the 10th guru, Guru Gobind Singh, was celebrated with fervour and gaiety here today. Devotees paid obeisance at gurdwaras located all over the city and partook langar. Religious functions were organised at these gurdwaras, including Gurdwara Singh Sabha, Sabzi Mandi, Gurdwara Singh Sabha Kalgidhar, Field Ganj, Gurdwara Dukh Niwaran Sahib, Gurdwara Singh Sabha, Model Town Extension, and Gurdwara Singh Sabha, Sarabha Nagar and Model Town.

Addressing the gathering at Gurdwara Sri Guru Singh Sabha, Model Town Extension, SGPC president, Avtar Singh Makkar, urged the devotees to follow the path shown by the 10th guru.

Mohinderjit Singh, gurdwaras general secretary, said various competitions were organised throughout the week to inculcate the spirit of Sikhism among the children and younger generation. The first Gurbani album of “Voice of India” title winner, Ishmeet, was released at a function organised at Gurdwara Dukh Niwaran Sahib today.