How To Read The Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji?

jii

I’ve had someone tell me that I should not read the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji if I can not read it properly, as it was said that one of the Guru’s stated one should not do something if they can not do it properly. My friend quoted the story of Guru Gobind’s son when he told him to print something when he disowned his son, (by the way if anyone has any links to the correct story please let me know, because I’m sure he recited the story wrong.)

There is a number of questions that I would like to know on how to read the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. Firstly is there any rules on how the verses should be read, because I have heard many people read the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji in different styles and notes ie high and low pitch variations.

Secondly, I wanted to know what is the correct procedure when one opens the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji to read it. Furthermore, how does this contrast to online versions which you can download? As one cannot open the online Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji at a random page. Should one also wash before reading the online version? Is it right or wrong to have an online version?

Please help me one this, thanks.

Guest peacemaker

Well, a very basic thing I was taught to start off with is not to put "the" infront of Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji, just as you wouldn't "the" when talking about any other Guru. Also, I was told never to refer to Sri Guru Granth Sahib as "it".

Well, a very basic thing I was taught to start off with is not to put "the" infront of Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji, just as you wouldn't "the" when talking about any other Guru. Also, I was told never to refer to Sri Guru Granth Sahib as "it".

yes, thank you for pointing that out. my bad for referring to Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji as 'it'. i'll take that on board.

Ek Onkar Satnam

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

I have never met anyone who has recited gurbani from Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji without making some sort of mistake, even singhs who have learnt from Taksal i have heard as recent as a few weeks back making a mistake while reciting gurbani. The point im trying to make is as a human being you can only try and do ardas and ask the all mighty for his blessings before and after reciting gurbani even if you are reciting from a gutka sahib. Humans make errors we can only ask for forgiveness. I would not stop attempting to read from Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji but i would recommend practicing using other methods, because by reading gurbani is the only way we can get to know our Guru Sahib.

I probably said loads of things wrong but i only want to encourage you.

Gurfateh Ji

Ek Onkar Satnam

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

I have never met anyone who has recited gurbani from Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji without making some sort of mistake, even singhs who have learnt from Taksal i have heard as recent as a few weeks back making a mistake while reciting gurbani. The point im trying to make is as a human being you can only try and do ardas and ask the all mighty for his blessings before and after reciting gurbani even if you are reciting from a gutka sahib. Humans make errors we can only ask for forgiveness. I would not stop attempting to read from Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji but i would recommend practicing using other methods, because by reading gurbani is the only way we can get to know our Guru Sahib.

I probably said loads of things wrong but i only want to encourage you.

Gurfateh Ji

thank you for your encouragment. im wondering if there are any others on here who actually read Siri Guru Granth Sahib who could perhaps head some light on this matter..

mistakes will happen no matter who you are.

even the most experienced paathies make mistakes, but if you know ur not that experience then you should get santhiya.

its the best way to learn. and the proper way to learn.

but does that mean you'll know it perfectly? no, but it will improve you skills.

there are a bunch of kathas online that teach correct pronounciations and all that.

YES YES its awl bout da Loving !!! :wubc: :wubc: :wubc:

that is exactly what i thought, that so long as one has love, focus and concentration in what they are reading all things faults shall be protected by these factos.. yet i was still being told not to read Siri Guru Granth Sahib. however to make something clear i am reading in english, so is there still any conflict as to how i pronounce the words.

i am simply reading to learn, is this such a wrong this? or must one be a fully qualified reader? what makes paatha better readers that other paatha readers? at the end of the day pratice makes perfect, and one can never be fully perfect.