I was asked to remove my turbon

Jash

Waheguru ji da khalsa

waheguru ji da fateh

I'm a student working on my masters in US, i went back to india in mid november by Turkish Airlines, via Istanbul, while the time of boarding, the Turkish police officals asked me to remove my turbon, I resisted to that and requested and tried to convince them that i have my pic with a turbon on my passport and i'm coming from US, those ppl havent asked me for this thing ever since i'm in US. But my efforts couldnt borne any fruits, i felt really bad, and sad that even in the presence of so many indians along me, none of them had courage to come in support of me. It would be great if the concern and efforts we are putting to preserve our identities in France, could be forwarded to contries like Turkey also.

GurFateh....

Vaneet singh

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WEARING OF TURBAN IS ONE ISSUE, WHICH MIGHT BE PERTINENT IN THOSE COUNTRIES WHICH ARE NOT AWARE OF THE SIKH WAY OF LIFE.

BUT IT PINCHED ME MUCH WHEN AT NEW DELHI AIRPORT,WE WERE ASKED TO REMOVE THE KIRPANS OF A VERY SMALL SIZE, LESS THAN 6" OF BLADE AND IS PERMISSIBLE ON FLIGHTS.

THE SAME POSITION I FELT AT TORONTO AIRPORT LAST TIME.

EITHER THE INSTRUCTIONS ARE NOT THERE, OR THE SAME HAVE NOT REACHED AT THE GROUND LEVEL OR THEY ARE NOT BEING IMPLEMENTED. THE MATTER IS REQUIRED TO BE TAKEN UP AT THE HIGHEST LEVEL AND NEEDS DUE PUBLICIT TOO.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

Dear Harjagjeet ji

I can imagine, your feelings at that time, and i agree that we have to do something concrete about this.

Balwinder veer ji has been kind enough and have came out with idea, of making some paperwork about the sikhism and that should be forwarded to embassies and international airports.

If u have some suggestion to it or u can help us in this or u have some other idea, please put forward as this matter has to be resolved.

And i have already posted my experience to SMART and Unitedsikhorgainsation.

Regards

Vaneet Singh

Guest SikhForLife

u cant even wear a 3 inch kirpan on a plane.. or even a pendent (around the neck) with a small symbolic kirpan (if duno if it could be called a kirpan since its so small and has no cover)

I read your sad experience on Sikhnet.com ..

its REALLY sad..how we havn't been able to spread our faith :)

its never personally happened me before :T:

that might be cause theres more security in the US? blush.gif

I sincerely dont kow what to say

bhull chukk maaf blush.gif

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

Sat Sri Akal:

Problem is that nobody knows what regulations exist in Turkey on this matter. I know full well that U.S. regulations forbid the removel of a turban unless a metal detector goes off.

Kirpans...they have been completely banned. No country that I am aware of will allow them on any flights (except maybe domestic Indian flights...it is written in their regulations somewhere...but when has India ever followed a rule they wrote?).

Someday, Sikhs are going to have to make their own airline.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

• Topics

• Net pay after taxes. If you don't agree, think about this: If you were a trader and started off in China with silk that cost 100 rupees and came to India, and you had to pay total 800 rupees taxes at every small kingdom along the way, and then sold your goods for 1000 rupees, you'd have 100 rupees left, right? If your daswandh is on the gross, that's 100 rupees, meaning you have nothing left. Obviously, you owe only 10% of 100, not 10% of 1000. No, it's 10% before bills and other expenses. These expenses are not your expenses to earn money. They are consumption. If you are a business owner, you take out all expenses, including rent, shop electricity, cost of goods sold, advertising, and government taxes. Whatever is left is your profit and you owe 10% of that.  If you are an employee, you are also entitled to deduct the cost of earning money. That would be government taxes. Everything else is consumption.    
    • No, bro, it's simply not true that no one talks about Simran. Where did you hear that? Swingdon? The entire Sikh world talks about doing Simran, whether it's Maskeen ji, Giani Pinderpal Singh, Giani Kulwant Singh Jawaddi, or Sants. So what are you talking about? Agreed. Agreed. Well, if every bani were exactly the same, then why would Guru ji even write anything after writing Japji Sahib? We should all enjoy all the banis. No, Gurbani tells you to do Simran, but it's not just "the manual". Gurbani itself also has cleansing powers. I'm not saying not to do Simran. Do it. But Gurbani is not merely "the manual". Reading and singing Gurbani is spiritually helpful: ਪ੍ਰਭ ਬਾਣੀ ਸਬਦੁ ਸੁਭਾਖਿਆ ॥  ਗਾਵਹੁ ਸੁਣਹੁ ਪੜਹੁ ਨਿਤ ਭਾਈ ਗੁਰ ਪੂਰੈ ਤੂ ਰਾਖਿਆ ॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ The Lord's Bani and the words are the best utterances. Ever sing hear and recite them, O brother and the Perfect Guru shall save thee. Pause. p611 Here Guru ji shows the importance of both Bani and Naam: ਆਇਓ ਸੁਨਨ ਪੜਨ ਕਉ ਬਾਣੀ ॥ ਨਾਮੁ ਵਿਸਾਰਿ ਲਗਹਿ ਅਨ ਲਾਲਚਿ ਬਿਰਥਾ ਜਨਮੁ ਪਰਾਣੀ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ The mortal has come to hear and utter Bani. Forgetting the Name thou attached thyself to other desires. Vain is thy life, O mortal. Pause. p1219 Are there any house manuals that say to read and sing the house manual?
    • All of these are suppositions, bro. Linguists know that, generally, all the social classes of a physical area speak the same language, though some classes may use more advanced vocabulary. I'm talking about the syntax. That is, unless the King is an invader, which Porus was not. When you say Punjabi wasn't very evolved, what do you mean? The syntax must have been roughly the same. As for vocabulary, do you really think Punjabis at the time did nothing more than grunt to express their thoughts? That they had no shades of meaning? Such as hot/cold, red/yellow/blue, angry/sweet/loving/sad, etc? Why must we always have an inferiority complex?
    • I still think about that incident now and then, just haven't heard any developments regarding what happened, just like so many other things that have happened in Panjab!
    • There was a young Singh from abroad who went to Anandpur Sahib Hola and got into a fight with some Punjabis who were playing loud non-religious music. He had bana and a weapon or two. There were more of them than him.  He ended up losing his life. Don't be like that. Not worth it to fight manmukhs. @californiasardar1 ਮੂਰਖੈ ਨਾਲਿ ਨ ਲੁਝੀਐ ॥੧੯॥ Argue not with a fool. p473

Important Information

Terms of Use