Finally One Single Maryada For The Panth Set To Be Formed

Mehtab Singh

The Sikh Panth has become Taksal and Nanaksar?

Each jhata has there flaws, why? Because the Khalsa panth was created and not jhatas. There are differences between Nanaksar and Taksal, go to Nanaksar gurdwara and firstly you will not see a nishan sahib. Lineage does not mean anything when the panth Khalsa is in question. We have created a precedent, and that is to challenge the panth and the Akal Takhat, rather we should have shown respect and where we were unsure, questions should be referred and not forcing the issue. It can be seen that a panthic samallen only concerns a select group of people (ironically that does not include the Akal Takhat, what next?). Our disrespect to the Akal Takhat has just reduced ifs mehma to a joke.

There is a single rehit maryada which was formed with consultation for all jhatas. The only purpose of amending the existing PAnthic Sikh rehit maryada would be if all jhatas were dissolved and we all conform to the Panthic Sikh rehit maryada.

All I can see is the Sikh panth being further split.

God help us.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think there will be any event/chance/gathering of sikh scholars and saint like the one happened during the adoption of SGPC Rehat Maryada in 1920's.

Bhai Sahib jee, the SGPC are the publishers, its not there rehit maryada, rather it’s the Panthic Sikh rehit maryada. If I write a book and Punjabi University publish it, it does not become there book, they are the mere publishers. Ironically a lot of the SGPC gurdwaras do not follow the Panthic Sikh Rehit maryada, it should have been adopted by all.

Veer jee you are right, look at the people who were involved in the adoption of the Panthic Sikh rehit maryada, people like Bhai Randhir Singh jee, Bhai Vir Singh jee, Kahn Singh Nabha jee, Prof Sahib Singh jee, Akali Kaur Singh jee and many Sants

One of my panjis recently told me that when they were talkin about rehatmariyada (Published by SGPC) in 1920s....bhai Randhir Singh ji and few others Singh from Taksal walked out. this is very new to me so im just kinda asking

is that true? Im asking this because the way she said it...she seemed pretty sure about it. and if she is correct is what she says then us saying Bhai sahib was there would be wrong innit. just want to get my facts straight!

i think most of our "panthic" people aren't reading or reflecting on Sikh history=(

im looking fwd to see what this unfolds into.

Mehtab sio u had to post it here eh? lol@ as finally one Single MARYADA?

i dont think that was the original tittle :D

chalo dekhdey ki hunda

vaheguru

There is a single rehit maryada which was formed with consultation for all jhatas. The only purpose of amending the existing PAnthic Sikh rehit maryada would be if all jhatas were dissolved and we all conform to the Panthic Sikh rehit maryada.

SGPC is "panthic" maryada? since when? Akaal Takht Sahib Jathedars have not signed off on ANY maryada to state a single maryada as 'panthic'..

during the 1920's many prominent Sikh leaders walked out on the discussions because some people starting making so many changes that were not agreed with... therefore, it cannot be considered a panthic maryada... Akaal Takht Sahib has not 'endorsed' that maryada, meaning, it has not stated that maryada as panthic maryada.. even some of the other takhts go by different maryada then Akaal Takht Sahib..

i have a question...before 1920, how many times was there a 'meeting' like this arranged to discuss a 'panthic' maryada?

Veer Heera Singh. The responses to your questions are all in the first few pages of the document. An honest question -have you ever read it (from start to end?)

- By whom the decisions were made; who were involved in the drafting the document - is all written in the first few pages.

The entire maryada has been based on Gurbani, Bhai Gurdas Ji diya Vaar, Rehitnamas, and authentic history. I believe no sakhia without any historical evidence were used.

The most prominent Sikhs were involved in drafting it.

As mentioned - people from all jathas were invited to give their contributions. Representing AKJ views- Bhai Randhir Singh Was there; along with Akali Kaur Singh.

Although it's said that Bhai Randhir Singh left - I have yet to find reference about this - just seems like "someone started the rumour." No evidence to support this statement has ever been provided.

If that IS the case that he did leave out- someone should immediately write a letter to the SGPC and ask them to take away his name from people who attended some of the meetings - and contributed to the drafting of the document.

during the 1920's many prominent Sikh leaders walked out on the discussions because some people starting making so many changes that were not agreed with...

Again hearsay - who were those "some people" who started making changes - what is the evidence for this?

Please read the document before you comment on the issue :D

Also you might want to read other literature surrounding the history of the document.

i have a question...before 1920, how many times was there a 'meeting' like this arranged to discuss a 'panthic' maryada?

It took more than 10 years to get the maryada drafted. Please read the history of it :@

Bhai Sahib Bhai Randhir Singh Jee was indeed NOT there when this present maryada was drafted, as said by Sant Baba Hari Singh Ji Randhawae waale. The original title wasn't this, but the news article did refer to it pretty much.

Bhai Sahib I suggest you go to the SGPC daftar and look at their books which records what was happening daily during those times. If Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee was not present then why is name printed (Each person who entered meetings was recorded and the discussions are also in the log book). Also why did Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee not protest the publication of his name? Atleast he could have protested that he was not consulted. Word of mouth is not enough to convince people, one person is saying one and historical references are saying another. It's like the Taksal and Sant HAri Singh Randhava saying no bindia can be pronounced in Gurbani when Sant Baba Gurbachan Singh jees book shows that they should be pronounced. The same Hari Singh Randhawa (unless ive confused him with someone else) states 'I dont no where they have started putting these bindia in (this was in his khata i heard at the gurdwara, sorry I have no recording). So sorry I do not listen to SAnt Hari Singhs opinions when facts are shown otherwise. Even if someone is not present in a meeting, I would why people make such a fuss, has that individual become the panth?

SGPC is "panthic" maryada? since when? Akaal Takht Sahib Jathedars have not signed off on ANY maryada to state a single maryada as 'panthic'..

during the 1920's many prominent Sikh leaders walked out on the discussions because some people starting making so many changes that were not agreed with... therefore, it cannot be considered a panthic maryada... Akaal Takht Sahib has not 'endorsed' that maryada, meaning, it has not stated that maryada as panthic maryada.. even some of the other takhts go by different maryada then Akaal Takht Sahib..

Bhai SAhib jee if you write a letter the Akal Takhat, they will clear your confusion by stating the rehit maryada is the panthic Sikh rehit maryada. Please look at the following books:

Darpan Sikh rehit maryada (Gurbaksh Singh Gulshan). The jathedar of Akal Takhat Sahib jee has written on page 11 slanajog karag. So he accepts this rehit maryada as being the panthic one, if not why has he written the foreword?

Sri Akal Takhat Sahib ati Jathedhar Sahiban (Singh Sahib Giani Kirpal Singh sabka jathedhar Akal Takhat Sahib jee) Please go to page 99 right at the bottom of the page it is clearly written: 'on the 2nd of April 1958 I was appointed head granthi of Sri Harmander Sahib, Sri Amritsar. I approached Sant Giani Gurbachan Singh jee to ask him that 'our Jhatas maryada is different to that of the maryada at Sri Harmander Sahib je, what is your advise for me to do? Sant jee replied, 'You should follow the maryada which has been placed at Sri Harmander Sahib, because this maryada is the maryada of the Panth, the other maryada is mere our jhatas maryada, You should do palana of the PAnthic Rehit maryada. Note that on page 100 Singh Sahib jee says that Sant jee always supported this notion which he had told the Singh Sahib. Sant baba Gurbachan Singh jee also used the words panthic Sikh Rehit maryada. Singh Sahib jee was then made head granthi on the 2nd of April 1958.

There was no maryada in 1920, it was only a karara, the Panthic rehit maryada was part of a process where dicussions would take place and then finally written down as a karara. It was only after the 1930s that the Rehit maryada was published not in the form of a karara for the first time

15th of March 1927 The JAtehdar sahib of Akal Takhat Sahib (Bhai Teja Singh jee) presented the list of Bidwan In that list includes the 4 Jathedhar Sahiban (Damdama sAhib was not a Takhat then). Look at Panja <admin-profanity filter activated> ithass Page 41-42. You can go to SPGC office sign in to read the book.

In 1927 Babu Teja Singh Basour was excommunicated, according to my research he was the only one thrown out of the committee. Also not that Giani Sundar Singh jee Bhindra was present in meetings until he passed away in 1930.

Until 1933 there were still discussions regarding the Panthic rehit maryda, on the 30th of December 1933 a panthic smallen at Sri Akal Takhat Sahib was called. Go to Page 111-114 Panja <admin-profanity filter activated> Ithas, when I looked at the records I counted 170 people at this meeting alone. This book by the way can be seen by all. After 2 days discussion continued however the Singh Sahiban decided that still more discussions should continue, Also not that Hazoor sahib jee was also represented in the meetings. For the next 3 years meetings took place. The karara was passed on the 1/8/1936. On the 12/10/1936 Akal takhat Jathedar Singh Sahib giani Mohan Singh jee along with other gursikhs (including the head granthi Sri harmander Sahib jee) under mata number 149 passed the Panthic Sikh Rehit maryada, these people signed the mata.

Until 1945 Changes were made by the Panthic rehit maryada by the panth which included the Akal Takhat Sahiban.

Sorry one of my references did not appear properly it was: 'Panja sahalia ithaas'

Bhai V jee i right, most of points made on the Panthic Sikh rehit maryada is hearsay. Also I have just written a brief overview of how the meetings took place, if we do research we can find alot more which will help us understand alot of these misconceptions which are being spread.

I also think before 1920s the gurdwaras were controlled by the mahants. The SGPC was created to free our gurdwaras and people gave shahidi.

You are probably right. Bhai Sahib left the meeting, which is what most people have said, and the reason given is because he was against meat. Thats why I said that he was NOT PRESENT when the final draft was framed.

I wonder why Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee as 'most people have said' or claimed to have said would have walked out when the Panthnic Sikh Rehit maryada does not use the following words: 'Sikhs can eat meat'. If someone can find these words for me I would be thankful.

I hope those who are forcing the change of the Panthic Rehit maryada (jhatabhandis) also dont rely on what others have said, rather they should first read the rehit maryada and how it was formed.