Banis You Know By Heart?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the view that people are conveying is that the Gurbani is avilable to everyone; if you wish to read and learn the Gurbani then there isnt a lot stoping you, and how many banis someone else knows won't have much impact on your own progression. As your devotion deepens so does your knowledge...

However I'm sure if someone is trying to learn a bani and having problems they would just simly ask :D and no doubt someone here would be able to help them...

Personally I'd keep how many bani I knew to myself, as pointed out it is a form of egoism and in a wierd way in a different forum on another site it would be like asking "how many harry potter books have you read?" - does it matter??

I guess if someone wanted to know which banis would people reccommend to learn first it would be a fine question to ask and would recieve many replies without the same issues.

Just think would the Guru Ji's talk of how many banis they knew by heart?

lol interesting how my post sparked a mini-debate about gupt etc... mission accomplished

My views on gupt-ness is that it's OK if you fill up with ego whenever u say it out loud to someone etc - Praises tend to boost ego.. At the end of the day, it depends on the person themselves.

Only by knowing about the accomplishments of someone above you that you realise how close/far your target really is..

Only by knowing how good someone is gives you the inspiration to become like them.

To me: Gupt people just... well it's all a blur to me.. most of the ones I knew ended up being hypocrits (being gupt about their bad deeds eh lol) - Gupt people inspire me to an extent; but never as much as someone who *humbly* tells me what they have accomplished.

Gupt people inspire me to an extent; but never as much as someone who *humbly* tells me what they have accomplished.

I can relate to that: I get really motivated by hearing what other people are doing or learning. It helps me set goals. Plus i tell myself if so and so can do it, so can I !!

Huh? Thx...

Look i'll explain you... First of all.. Your excuse is that when someone says he knows that many banis by heart (obviously quite much like 5-6 or more), and you praise them the'ill get ahankaar. But you can obviously control allmost all vices (if not all) if you know many (but many) banis by heart, because its normal that you recite those banis much because you know them by heart.

Only by knowing about the accomplishments of someone above you that you realise how close/far your target really is.

Well, I know one Singh who has a LOT of bani memorized

- 7 nitnem bania

- sukhmani sahib

- asa ki vaar

- basant ki vaar

- sawaiye, dasam patshai - deenan ki pritpal karey

He knows more, but thats all I can remember at the moment. Is that far enough for a target?

But you can obviously control allmost all vices (if not all) if you know many (but many) banis by heart, because its normal that you recite those banis much because you know them by heart.
Not necessarily