Eyebrows

Guest 12/7/11

Guest peacemaker

I would say something to "baba" amarjeet singh, but then he would just send me a nasty message through one of his friends on msn, so it isn't worth my time. nonono.gif

i know this is really old, but this seems like an appropriate time to post it again

Dear bhainjee,

Vaaheguroo jee kaa khaalsaa

Vaaheguroo jee kee fatheh !!!

I don't know if you will read all the way to the end of this e-mail, but I am requesting that you do.

You might feel uncomfortable that I am sending this to you, bhainjee, but I've put you in bcc (so your address doesn't show). The reason is that you are one of the bhainjees who is getting this e-mail and I didn't want to embarrass anybody by exposing their e-mail address.

Still, I want you to consider that I wrote this e-mail for YOU individually. If I say something and I use the word "you" and it totally doesn't apply to you, please feel free to give this e-mail to anybody who it might be relevant to (sign it with your own name [not mine] and change anything and everything you want to change).

The only thing is that all of the other bhainjees who will receive this e-mail also have this problem or they have had it in the past.

Firstly, let me say up front that I am not the role model Sikh or anything close to it. I have not managed to balance my life, to get a stable job or to do extremely well in school. I have not managed to control my kaam, krodh, lobh, moh, ahankaar or my sleep patterns. I have not got my "amrit vela" down at all, and I am not always in chardee kalaa. It should be clear to you, that I am really just a beginner and I have many life times to go before I can even imagine about being a role model Sikh. I honestly am NOT trying to preach to you and these are just words from a brother to his sister - please don't take it the wrong way, and if it's not relevant to you or if you received this and you're not in this position, please don't feel offended - you may be able to share this message with somebody who needs it. (Please don't attach my name to it).

I am trying to be a Sikh, just like you. We share many struggles. However, one of the struggles I don't share with you is of being a female in this society. However, one of the struggles I don't share with you is of being a female in this society. Being a female does not make an individual less important or less significant at all, although in this society that we live in sometimes girls are made to feel this way. I do not know this feeling.

I do not know how it feels like to have people treat you like a second-class citizen just because of your gender. I do not know how it feels like to have your parents treat your brother better, or give him nicer things, or trust him more. I do not know how it feels like to have intense social pressures to be really skinny, really fair (white-skinned), really hairless and really cool (clothing, attitude) all at the same time. These pressures have not been on me.

My social pressures have been pretty different. I haven't had to deal with the things that you have had to deal with. There is a new movie out called "Mean Girls." It really shows a lot of the ways that girls can be so cruel to each other and to themselves in high school. Their whole perception of themselves - physically, socially, mentally, it is so degrading and disgusting. You probably know what I'm talking about when I say that many girls will not quit to be the best of what society wants, but they will avoid what their heart wants.

There are those rare girls, who follow their heart. They do not pay attention to the gossip, the trends, the peer pressure, the media, the social influences, etc. etc. The thing about these rare girls is that often times they have grown up with proper role models.

My own sister has made me aware of the fact that many of our sisters do not have good role models. They do not have solid Singhnee role models to talk to, to be friends with - but at the same time they also do not have older brothers who support them.

Brothers see you as a sister, but when you ask them for advice or when you try to start a new practice to go against the societal norm - they will be the first to treat you as if you are a sex object, or a market product. They will not actually say it, but they will avoid encouraging you to keep your eyebrows, to keep the hair on your arms and legs, to do your nitnem and to wear proper clothes to school. They will not sit down and talk with you and tell you that maybe you should avoid having such back-stabbing friends, and maybe you should spend more time in saadh sangat, and maybe you should feel free to ask your brother any time you need for real-life advice.

Not many brothers will tell you, "yes bhainjee wear a dastaar, a big sarbloh kara and kirpan. Yes bhainjee keep nice beautiful thick eyebrows and be a true woman. Yes bhainjee you should wear what makes you feel comfortable - not what other people prefer you to wear."

Not many brothers will say, "Wow, that's a very impressive fuzzy chin you have there. You are a true sample of a brave and fearless warrior. You don't remove your God-given kes for any selfish loser. I am proud of your progress"

Not many brothers will say, "Hey bhainjee want to get up at 4 am tomorrow morning and do simran and nitnem with me?"

I know that brothers don't really do this a lot, because I am a brother and I didn't do this very much at all for my sister. The main reason was that I wasn't much of a role model in the first place. It's not like I was getting up at 4:00 am or anywhere 6, 7 hours close to that even. Instead I was showing all that you shouldn't do as a Sikh - and sometimes that really pushed her away rather than towards Sikhi. Finally when she found the beauty of Sikhi on her own, through the grace of the Guru and with the support of SOME people in different sangats, she was starting to keep all her kes, but I was getting the credit. It really frustrated her, because wherever we went people would actually say, "Wow, look at your sister - she is becoming a Sikh. This is all your hard work coming to fruition."

She would feel so discouraged and frustrated because she was the one stumbling over the blocks, and barely making it, but I would get all the credit. She remained always supportive of me in my Sikhi - but I thought, "she is a girl. Who knows if Sikhi is interesting to her."

The thing I forgot to realize was that girls, women, females are also humans! Yes! I know, stupid me. Not just that, but they have feelings. They have needs and wants. They have concerns. And let me tell you THEY HAVE SELF CONFIDENCE ISSUES to the max.

They are the future of the Panth - and if their self confidence problems don't get sorted out, the Sikh panth is gonna be just a group of guys in 100 years. But I know this is not going to happen because ...

because there's you bhainjee.

You're my hope.

; )

I always took my Gursikh sisters for granted - I thought Guru jee will solve their Sikhi problems. Of course Guru jee will, but we are part of Guru jee's mission. We must get involved to help our sisters stay away from bad influences. I was always careless about giving support to my Gursikh sisters, but in the mean time I would always be there to talk with my Sikh brothers. But now I see, at least 1 in 5 amritdharee Sikh girls has her eyebrows trimmed. That means they have broken their amrit and turned their back on Guru jee in order to please society. My sister has also made it clear to me that at least 3 in 5 amritdharee girls have bleached their hair or plan to bleach it in the future. They think that they can get away with this, and nobody will notice. It's a way to "get out of" having hair but not showing it. It's not a loophole - Gursikhi is a very thin path, on the edge of a sword. Please tell me the last time you saw the edge of a sword with a loop hole in it. This is a disappointing escape trick that so many bhainjees have tried to take. It is such a big mistake and many people know that it is almost as bad as cutting it.

binaa thaeg kaesa(n) dhivo n dheedhaarae || - Rehat Nama

binaa shashathr kaesa(n) nara(n) bhaedd jaano || - Rehat Nama

This bleaching, waxing, trimming phenomenon - in addition to wearing uncomfortable revealing clothing to attract boys - and "forgetting" or "neglecting" to do your nitnem... these are some of the symptoms of a big disease amongst our sisters.

Their real disease is Bipran - duality. They are caught between two worlds and don't have enough support to help them get out of this duality. This leads to problems in self perception, self confidence and self esteem. Then girls start doing silly things to themselves - hurting their souls, minds and bodies in order to fit in.

I wish there was a good way to bring more Singhs to give advice to these girls, and more Singhnees to lead a positive example and also give them advice. If you are living up to this lifestyle, please e-mail me and volunteer yourself for this seva.

Have you ever felt this way, though bhainjee? That you are just there to fill a gap - a pretty face - have to make yourself up, to impress a certain group, and when you're too old, or too mature, or too anything - the next group comes in and takes your place. Like a factory ? Like the meat sitting in the deli? It's pretty disheartening when you think about how people look at you, and how you look at yourself.

But there is a key in all of this, Guru Tegh Bahadur jee's banee says that a true enlightened person does not give, nor take fear. When you do things to yourself bhainjee aren't you just giving into fear? Fear of how people will react, fear of how you will look, fear of what the repercussions will be? This fear drives you like a hamster on a hamster wheel. You just keep going in circles until you become exhausted and too sick to go further.

maaeiaa mohi natt baajee paaee ||

The Actor has staged the drama of emotional attachment to Maya.

manamukh a(n)dhh rehae lapattaaee ||

The self-willed manmukhs cling blindly to it.

guramukh alipath rehae liv laaee ||5||

The Gurmukhs remain detached, and lovingly attune themselves to the Lord. ||5||

Bhainjee I know that you know that there is a way out of this whole mess. You need to stop taking fear. Stop being afraid of your laziness to do your nitnem. Stop being afraid of your fake friends or even the real ones who sometimes say unsuspectingly hurtful things. Stop being afraid of the perceptions in your family and society. There is only one true parent, friend, spouse, - that's God. That One God will take care of us in the end, we should be in love with God, respect God, respectfully fear God. But what reason is there to fear this society, which is all going to disappear some day?

The only way to eliminate this uneasy feeling - and this fear, is to become strong through Gurbani. And to realize something really profound about yourself. Once you realize something about yourself - you will be afraid to alter yourself, because you will realize that you are trying to alter God's infinite command.

There's something you need to know, bhainjee...

I'm not sure how I am going to convince you of this.... But I need you to sit straight - and read what I'm writing and have it truly ring through your mind.

Like when you see a church, and the bells ring, and the echo is so huge - it goes for minutes before the echo is gone. Please try to keep this message in your heart that I am about to say, and please let it echo over and over and over.

Are you ready?

MUNN ...

THOO(N) ...

JOT...

SUROOP...

HAI !!!!!!!!

APNAA

MOOL

PACHHAAN !!!!!

I don't think you really heard it. Did you skim over it? read it again. Say it out loud. Come on, just do it. Say it out loud now !!!

Did you say it out loud? If you still didn't say it - close the door, you're by yourself - it's just you and Guru jee right beside you ... now say it again bhainjee,

"MUNN THOO(N) JOT SUROOP HAI !!!! APNAA MOOL PACHHAAN"

Oh my soul, you ARE the BODY of the LIGHT of GOD.

RECOGNIZE your ORIGINS !

Hmm... You don't want to think about it. Why did that <banned word filter activated> singh send me this e-mail? Who does he think he is trying to make me realize that I AM THE BODY OF THE LIGHT OF GOD ?!?!

Who the heck does he think he is? I hardly talk to the guy... and here he is e-mailing me trying to make me realize I am the light of God?

What a fruit !!

Well, bhainjee - you are. Not a fruit... you are the light of God.

You are the body of the light of God. Your soul is.

And your body - your physical body - is the temple of that soul. Sometimes we forget about this... I forget it all the time... I eat junk food, I watch TV - I make so many mistakes. I used to watch bad movies every day and before Sikhi I used to drink alcohol and do all kinds of stupid things. I never thought that my body is the temple of my soul. But oh dear, it is!

"har ma(n)gal gaao sakhee grihu ma(n)dhar baniaa || "

Sing the songs of celebration my dear friends, my body has become the temple for God to live in.

Think about this bhainjee - if Guru Gobind Singh jee was going to come to your room right now, you'd probably spend a few hours cleaning up wouldn't you?

If Guru Gobind Singh jee is the king of kings - and we'd want to give him the environment he deserves - and we'd try to clean up to make his visit special...

Maybe... just maybe we also need to make his visit special when he comes into our mind and soul. Maybe that's another place we should start cleaning. Oh, and I've got a lot of cleaning to do - trust me on that.

But if your Guru is going to come there, and rest, and stay within your soul - wouldn't you want to take care of this resting place?

guramukh eik araadhhanaa eik man hoe n hoe dhuchithaa||

The Gurmukhs single-mindedly adore the Lord and do not remain in duality.

guramukh aap gavaaeiaa jeevan mukath n thaamas pithaa||

By leaving away ego they become liberated and do not allow the darkness (ignorance) to reside in their heart.

gur oupadhaesh aadhaesh kar san dhoothaa(n) vikharraa garrh jithaa||

Wrapt in the teachings of the Guru, they conquer the fort (of body) including the five evils.

pairee(n) pai paakhaak hoe paahunarraa jag hoe athhthiaa||

They fall at the feet, become like dust (i.e.lowly), consider themselves as guests in the world and are respected by the world.

guramukh saevaa gurasikhaa(n) gurasikh maa pio dhaaee mithaa||

Gurmukhs serve the Sikhs considering them their parents, brothers and friends.

dhuramath dhubadhhaa dhoor kar guramath shabadh surath man sithaa||

Having given up illwill and dubiousness, they merge their consciousness in the Word and teachings of Guru.

shhadd kufakarr koorr kudhhithaa ||a||

They set aside frivolous argument, falsehood and bad deeds.

That's the way we have to look at our body and our life on earth. I know it's difficult - I'm battling with this every day. But I need you to know this, that Guru jee will come and take care of you, when you begin to take care of yourself. When you begin to do your spring cleaning. Setting things in order... keeping things the way Guru jee likes it. Because in the end, "baaj guroo dubaa sansaar." Without the Guru, all of society is drowning.

Yes, all the fashion magazines, the TV shows, the music stars, the gossiping back-stabbing friends, the cliques and gangs at school, all of it will drown without the Guru.

It's just up to you bhainjee to steer clear of that huge drowning bunch, and jump on to the boat that will take you across.

jo tho praem khaelan kaa chaao ||

If you desire to play this game of love with Me,

sir dhhar thalee galee maeree aao ||

then step onto My Path with your head in hand.

eith maarag pair dhhareejai ||

When you place your feet on this Path,

sir dheejai kaan n keejai ||20||

give Me your head, and do not pay any attention to public opinion. ||20||

You are the body of the light of God - and don't let anybody take that away from you. I know my e-mail has not fulfilled your needs for advice. My e-mail doesn't really take away the mean people at school. My e-mail doesn't make guys who you see as your brothers come and give you advice and make you feel confident. My e-mail doesn't make guys who see you as an object take their horrible eyes away from judging you. My e-mail doesn't change society's way of treating women. My e-mail doesn't take your parents off your back. My e-mail doesn't really throw away all the things that take you away from Sikhi.

But these are things you will have to deal with, and have the courage to deal with them. I want you to know that there are people out there - please e-mail me and I will give you their e-mail addresses if you don't already know them. There are people who would love to talk with you and would be happy to give you advice when you're having a hard time. You might think that you're the only one with these problems, but it's not true.

The main point of my e-mail is just to make you admit, that yes, you are beautiful bhainjee. You are beautiful without cutting your hair, trimming your eyebrows, bleaching your hair, waxing your arms, waxing your legs, wearing make-up and uncomfortable clothing. You are beautiful when you stay true to yourself - and don't cheat your true self. What you do for the good of your soul is what makes you beautiful. Please don't let anybody take that away from you. What you do in the true colours of Guru Nanak pyaar is what makes you beautiful. Guru Nanak pyaar is the only real Love - everything else is false love. "jagat meh jhootee daykhee preet." IN this society I've only seen false love. People are a day or two's worth of friendship. Their real intentions don't come out until much later. Please remember that Guru jee is "sadaa ang sangay" and will never turn his back on you. Please don't give up on this absolute truth. Please keep faith in yourself and in Guru jee, that no matter how many challenges come your way - you will be able to overcome them, as long as you stay true to yourself and to Guru jee.

thoo(n) jeevan thoo(n) praan adhhaaraa ||

You are my Life, the very Support of my breath of life.

thujh hee paekh paekh man saadhhaaraa ||1||

Gazing upon You, beholding You, my mind is soothed and comforted. ||1||

thoo(n) saajan thoo(n) preetham maeraa ||

You are my Friend, You are my Beloved.

chithehi n bisarehi kaahoo baeraa ||1|| rehaao ||

I shall never forget You. ||1||Pause||

bai khareedh ho dhaasaro thaeraa ||

I am Your indentured servant; I am Your slave.

thoo(n) bhaaro t(h)aakur gunee gehaeraa ||2||

You are my Great Lord and Master, the treasure of excellence. ||2||

kott dhaas jaa kai dharabaarae ||

There are millions of servants in Your Court - Your Royal Darbaar.

nimakh nimakh vasai thinh naalae ||3||

Each and every instant, You dwell with them. ||3||

ho kishh naahee sabh kishh thaeraa ||

I am nothing; everything is Yours.

outh poth naanak sa(n)g basaeraa ||4||5||11||

Through and through, You abide with Nanak. ||4||5||11||

Please forgive me for any mistakes I made and please forgive me if what I said was so freaking cheesy and stupid that you're laughing your head off at me and the next time you see me you're going to make fun of me..... it's all good...

If you think my e-mail was really stupid - please forgive me. I just hope that it made some sense to somebody and helped give some confidence to somebody.

bhul chuk maaf karna jee.

Stay in chardee kalaa bhainjee,

Vaaheguroo jee kaa khaalsaa

Vaaheguroo jee kee fatheh !!!!

----nobody important

P.S. I'm sorry if you didn't expect to get this e-mail from me... if it's not relevant to you, please forgive me. If it is offensive or hurtful, please forgive me. If it's uncalled for, and if I shouldn't have sent it to you, please forgive me. Guru jee kirpa karan.

P.P.S. If you want to pass it to anybody do not put my name or e-mail, thanks.

^i agree, judge urself b4 judging others

why does everyone always say "dont judge me, dont judge this, judge judge judge, bla bla bla"

its getting annoying, people who do manmat things try to cover it up, by saying that every1 hu tells them that the thing is wrong, is "judging" them, and thats reaaly baddd of them 8-)

gurbani tells us to stay away from sangat of manmukhs and do sangat of gurmukhs, how do we do this without "judging" whos gurmukh and hus manmukh? judging is fine, if you judge people by GURMAT and not by your OWN MAT. if you use gurbani and teachings of guru to judge actions then you cant go wrong, dont judge the person, judge the action. the action of someone determines whether they are gurmukh or manmukh. or goin in tht direction.

doing your eyebrows is WRONG huever the person is that does it.

if guru sahib says do not remove kes, then DO NOT REMOVE KES, theres no other way around it

baba amarjeet singh

how you gona create more gurmukhs by staying away from manmukhs? and im not trying to cover anything up but if i wana take one step at a time thats up to me im not going against guru ji im just taking my time whats wrong with that?

xkaurxx,

thats cool, take your time. As long as you realise its something that should not be done. Make the effort, and try to change slowly in your own time. Its best that you stop in your own time when YOU feel you should, rather than being told by others. Otherwise you will just go back to your old ways.

gurfateh jee

tell ya what though, people saying things like that is what drives people away from sikhi, just because they do something they think everyone else should, not everyones the same and thats what they gota try and understand