Cannabis

Abusing marijuana for whatever reason is plain dumb. I have personally met a few people who did this and it seems to have triggered mental problems (or made existing ones worse). This general has led to schziophrenia.

But I did see this American documentary on Hari Singh (Soldier of God) who is a Nihung and they were taking bhang whilst doing this massive langar. Even the commentator on the video pointed out that it didn't seemed to effect their ability to do the langar. But the nihungs did have those glazed eyes that stoned people have.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought that "sukha" mixed with lassi or whatever was only used during war times as a painkiller to help heal the injured. Just like getting a morphine (which has opium in it?) shot after surgery is a medicine and is not intended to be abused.

But I don't agree with the part were Singhs used to take "bhang" to chase away fear b/c if a person truly believes in Guru Ji and in Amrit they should have no fear.

This tactic is currently being used by the Taliban in Afghanistan where the fighters are taking large doses of opium to dispel their fears in order to fight American, Canadian and British troops.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

I follow Nihang Maryada but Maharaj clearly states:

This Shabad is by Bhagat Kabeer Ji in Salok Kabeer Jee on Pannaa 1377

kbIr BWg mwCulI surw pwin jo jo pRwnI KWih ]

kabeer bhaa(n)g maashhulee suraa paan jo jo praanee khaa(n)hi ||

Kabeer, those mortals who consume marijuana, fish and wine

qIrQ brq nym kIey qy sBY rswqil jWih ]233]

theerathh barath naem keeeae thae sabhai rasaathal jaa(n)hi ||233||

- no matter what pilgrimages, fasts and rituals they follow, they will all go to hell. ||233||

Nihangs who do chatka and drink sukha are playing a seriously dangerous game.

True Nihangs such as Jinda Shaahed Jathedar Akali Baba Nihal Singh Ji and Akali Baba Vajeer Singh Ji do not do these practises.

'The fear of Waheguru is my bhang (rather than consuming bhang, fear of waheguru is guru jees bhang), My mind/contemplation (to look after the bhang which should be the fear of Waheguru), is the pouch. (The bhang which I consume i.e the fear of Waheguru) I am intoxicated which has made me free from worldly attachment. Both my hands (To get alms) are a bowl, (my Atma) has the hungar of your darshan. (For this reason), May I forever beg (for darshan) at your door'. (1)

The above is a translation of the first four lines. Guru jee rejected the idea of consuming bhang and told us what we should consume and how consuming the fear of Waheguru will actually make you free.

Also one more thing id like to add. Bhang was given to Hindus, Muslims, horses who used to fight with the Khalsa Dal against the tyrants, this was given to take away pain or fear in them.

Singhs had Bir Ras from Maharajs Bani, they had no need to take intoxicants before going into Dharam Yudh. The bravery of these Shaheeds is second to none, theyre intoxicant was Naam not no drug. Please dont disrespect our great Shaheeds by saying they had to take bhang to take away their fear before jang.

The only fear they had was of Waheguru, not no two bit Mughal/Afghan/Hill Raja.

Bhull Chukk Maarf Karni

Also one more thing id like to add. Bhang was given to Hindus, Muslims, horses who used to fight with the Khalsa Dal against the tyrants, this was given to take away pain or fear in them.

Singhs had Bir Ras from Maharajs Bani, they had no need to take intoxicants before going into Dharam Yudh. The bravery of these Shaheeds is second to none, theyre intoxicant was Naam not no drug. Please dont disrespect our great Shaheeds by saying they had to take bhang to take away their fear before jang.

The only fear they had was of Waheguru, not no two bit Mughal/Afghan/Hill Raja.

Bhull Chukk Maarf Karni

thanks for correcting my view bhai sahib! wahegurusign.gif

1.can anyone write itehas of misl bhangiya ... what role they played in sikh history ... what they did for panth in vadda and chota ghalughara ... how many shaheeds this single misl produced ... and if it was anti sikhi why singhs like baba deep singh ji even allowed it to be made a further division of his tarna dal ...

True Nihangs such as Jinda Shaahed Jathedar Akali Baba Nihal Singh Ji and Akali Baba Vajeer Singh Ji do not do these practises.

2.are u sure ??? why not reconfirm it from baba nihal singh once again instead of being depending on others for information ...

3.how many have even drank sukhnidan prepared with mareyada and then claim they got nasha ???

4.any historical source ... as far as i know even scholars like bhai veer singh geyani geyan singh believed sikhs used shaheedi degh ... both edited various historical granths ...

5.if a bhang user cant be a sikh as what many main streams sikhs claim today ... but one sikh was a bhang user and he attained one of the biggest position in sikh history ... and his name is shere punjab maharaja ranjeet singh ... how can guru ji bless him raj ... the raj which is called khalsa raj by each and every sikh ... how can a user of bhang be called king of khalsa raj ...

sukhnidhaan was used by puratan singhs to kill hunger and continue surviving. this was not some joke. dals continued this maryada into peacetime, which is what lead to abuse.

honestly, we as a whole panth need to look beyond this issue and quit bashing nihung singhs over it. if they take sukhnidhaan and eat jhatka(which, btw, they do so while reciting Gurbani), they do it as part of their maryada. they also dedicate their whole lives to maharaj through bani bana seva. look at their great dedication to Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Gobind Singh Sodhi Sultan Sachey Patsha. most of us have no moral authority to judge them.